SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any members attending the Sig Freedom Days experience this weekend?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any members attending the Sig Freedom Days experience this weekend? Login/Join 
posted
I had been really intrigued with the announcement of this new event. There are a few firearms that I am hoping will be available to shoot, including any variant of the P210, (I have never had the opportunity before) but specifically the Carry version. I would also love to try a select fire MPX, or an MCX in 300 Blackout. I am also definitely excited to see Mr. Miculek shooting in person. There are a couple of other special guests that I would like to spend a minute or two with. Jack Carr and Mark Glover are at the top of that list. I am also stopping by Gray Gun's booth, but will unfortunately not be able to see Mr. Gray on Friday.

So with all of my interest, my wife said she'd check into the details to see if we'd be able to attend. I didn't hear anything for a couple of weeks, not a big deal as I knew my wife had a new project that she manages that might be kicking off around the same time.

Well, that changed last week. I got a call from her in the afternoon and she told me to go online and register for the event. I was confused and at first didn't realize what she was saying.

She was not able to go, but she surprised me with having booked my flight, hotel, and rental. All I really had to do was pick the days I wanted to attend. I have not had a vacation or even a trip since 2014, so this is even more special than it might sound to most. Thank you very much honey, the only thing that would make it better would be if you could come as well. This weekend also marks 31 years together. Thank you even more for that.

So with that out of the way, is anyone else going? I would be happy to say hello and shoot a stage or two with you.

For those not going, if there is anything that you would like me to shoot and provide my impressions, please let me know. I will be attending at least one demo of the full auto NGSW being fired. I had tried purchasing that option, but it was already sold out.

I have never been to Phoenix, so I could definitely use some suggestions as to things to do. Are there any must see gunshops. What about historical sites? I am staying at a chain hotel near the airport if that factors into suggestions.

It looks like I have about a half an hour drive to the Ben Avery Shooting Center, does that sound about right to those that are familiar with those areas?

I really enjoy Mexican food, so I am also looking for places to go. Doesnt' have to be super fancy, just good. Do you have Chile Colorado burritos there? I have never found them outside of southern California. Any can't miss Steakhouses? Those can definitely be fancy.

Thanks for anything you can suggest.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah | Registered: June 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I was going to fly in from Ohio. But airfare was a tad high and rental cars if you can get one, was stupid expensive.

Take pics for all of us.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand that for sure. I originally thought it was going to be too much for the 3 to make it worth going this year.

I don't know how my wife did it, but she got everything for under 500$. Staying 3 nights, economy size car (Elantra sized), round trip from SLC on Frontier airlines.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah | Registered: June 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4.40s1nine:

I have never been to Phoenix, so I could definitely use some suggestions as to things to do. Are there any must see gunshops. What about historical sites? I am staying at a chain hotel near the airport if that factors into suggestions.

It looks like I have about a half an hour drive to the Ben Avery Shooting Center, does that sound about right to those that are familiar with those areas?

I really enjoy Mexican food, so I am also looking for places to go. Doesnt' have to be super fancy, just good. Do you have Chile Colorado burritos there?
Any can't miss Steakhouses?

Airport to Ben Avery woulld likely be 30-45mins.
https://www.azgfd.com/shooting/basf/

The StockYards Steakhouse is quite close to the airport and still has a good rep.
https://stockyardssteakhouse.com/

Don't know about a Chili Colorado burrito, but this one is huge, always packed and delicious:
https://www.comedorguadalajara.com/menu/
This one is extremely close to the airport, and a mix of everything under one roof:
https://wtfexp.com/

One of our best gunshops is not too far from the airport. https://www.arizona-firearms.com/Tempe/
Not really historic, but can be interesting:
https://dbg.org/

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for that information VictorLouis. That is exactly what I am looking for.

How is the area around the airport? Is it fairly safe for people new to the area?

Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
Welcome to Arizona. I live in the very far East Valley in Apache Junction, but am making the drive to Ben Avery in the morning for this event.
For food, I know that Valle Luna on the North East corner of Bell Road and 35th avenue has Chili Colorado.....or at least they did when I lived on that side of town, many moons ago. The exact address, for GPS directions, is 3336 West Bell Road, Phoenix, AZ. I spent a lot of Happy Hours there, in the late 80's and the food was pretty good. I grew up spending summers in SLC and there was a restaurant in North Salt Lake called the LaPaloma that had the absolute best Chile Verde that I have ever tasted. The first time I ordered Chili Colorado, to say the least, I was surprised. It was good, but I am a Verde guy.
The safety factor when you say you are staying "close to the airport" is wide reaching. If you are North of the airport.....keep your head on a swivel. East, Southeast are safer bets.
Gun shops here are randomly open on Sundays or late enough on Saturdays for you to check any out. The one way out on my end of town is decent, AJI Sporting Goods. They have a ton of used magazines, pretty good stock of used and new firearms and have accumulated a mountain of holsters that rest on tables in a separate room. If you have time, it might be worth the trip.
I'll be at Avery in the morning and if you see me, say HI! I'll be wearing a t-shirt from my company that sports a Sugar Skull and a bunch of 5-dot logos on the back, MannKrafted on the front upper left. Honestly, it's decently tough to miss.
My cell number is on my website, if you want to text me on Saturday. I'm really looking forward to meeting Jack Carr and Mike Glover, so if you're around that area, you'll see the skulls.
Hope that your hotel is in a good part of the city and that you enjoy your time here in AZ.
I lived in SLC from birth to 5 yrs, on 13th East and 3300 South. Then, during high school at Granger High at 3650 S and 3200 W. It would be cool to meet you and compare new Salt Lake to what it was in the 70's and 80's.
Sorry for the long message, I tend to sort of explode when I finally get around to typing.
Hope to see you on Saturday,
LaMont Mann
MannMade Kustom Putters
www.mannkrafted.com
Instagram- mannkrafted

Posts: 41 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I wish I could go, but my MIL has come out for Mother’s Day, and my son is coming in tomorrow as well, so this entire weekend is shot (no pun intended).

I don’t spend a lot of time down by the airport, except to pick people up or drop them off. A couple of really good steakhouses down that way are Steak 44 and the Capital Grill at the Biltmore. My favorite Mexican restaurants (TeePee or Jalapeño Inferno) aren’t close to the airport or Ben Avery. Ditto for my favorite gun shops (Scottsdale Gun Shop, Bear Arms).

BTW, it is going to be 100 degrees in the valley this weekend, maybe a little cooler up at Ben Avery. Keep hydrated and slather on sunblock. I hope you have a great time.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope you and your wife end up enjoying Mother's Day Nuclear.

I didn't check the weather forecast before my wife got everything setup. If I had, I might have thought twice about it due to the high temps and windy conditions that are expected today. I stocked up on water last night at a local grocery store, so hoping I can pace myself throughout a busy day.

I definitely appreciate the suggestions, and no worries on the distance. My rental has it where the rental agency fills the tank on it's return, so I have about another 350 miles to drive before Monday afternoon to make it worth that option.

I do have to say, everyone I have talked to so far in this state has been very friendly and helpful.

I am getting ready to head out. I will see if I have the energy to post an update and a picture or two after the event.

posted Hide Post
MannKrafted, I don't know how I missed your post before I left. I was going on 2 hours of sleep, but still not an excuse for me. I am sorry.

Great suggestions and you are the 1st person that knows about Chile Colorado burritos. La Paloma was there last time I was up there pre-craziness. I hope they are still open. I attended Westminster, so very familiar with the area. SLC and all of the Wasatch front has changed so much, so much open land and farm land has been lost. I hope you had fun at the event. I did for sure. I am heading back up there today for the final session. If you see this and are going up again today, please post and I will check this throughout the morning.