SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    10mm question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
10mm question Login/Join 
Member
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I've been in the market for one for a while.

Does 4.25 vs 5 v 6" barrel make that much of a difference to shoot? I'm not so much interested in velocity because 10mm out of any barrel is stronger than Superman so...

Mainly looking at Alpha Foxtrot's newer Romulus 10mm.

They have a true 4.25" and a 4.25" with compensator for 5" overall.

I can't find a CBOB for a decent price so I am changing directions. Are 6" 10mm's that much nicer to shoot? I've only ever shot a commander 1911 in 10mm (Everything else was plastic or PCC). SHOULD I be looking at a DW Bruin or similar?





Eight years to retirement! Just waiting!
 
Posts: 8034 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Tisas has a 10mm bobtail commander called the Yukon Carry.
No personal experience, but the word seems favorable for them.


https://tisasfirearmsusa.com/t...h-black-gray-finish/



"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
 
Posts: 17191 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
SIG P220 R5 10mm

Thank me later
 
Posts: 161 | Location: Fbks,AK. | Registered: March 23, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DansSIGs:
SIG P220 R5 10mm

Thank me later


I owned 3 at one time. Was a fantastic pistol. Not sure why I'm not considering them now to be honest.





Eight years to retirement! Just waiting!
 
Posts: 8034 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Are 6" 10mm's that much nicer to shoot?


I think so.

I found a deal on a used STI Perfect 10 a few years back.

It became my go-to 10mm for most anything but a carry piece.

Not sure what a 10mm 2011 would go for now, but wouldn't be surprised if it would be a shock.




 
Posts: 10481 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
For me, I would look hard at the Tisas Yukon (4.25 inch barrel) or even harder at the D10 (5.0 inch barrel).

The Yukon is fitted with Fiber-Optic Front and U-Notch Rear. Features Ed Brown bobtail treatment, licensed from Ed Brown. I have not shot the Yukon, so no thoughts on control or recoil.

The D10 was/is offered with a LPA Bomar Small Blade Adj. Rear Sight, Serrated Black Front Sight. 20LPI Checkering Front & Back Straps w/ Trigger Under Cut

The D10FO is fitted with Fiber-Optic Front and U-Notch Rear. 20LPI Checkering Front & Back Straps w/ Trigger Under Cut.

The D10s are two-tone finish.

I have shot both versions of the D10 and had no issues with either. Recoil is manageable.

FWIW, I shoot the D10s more accurately than my P220 R5 reverse two-tone. I attribute this to the 1911 trigger vs the DA/SA trigger of the P220.

The Yukon can be had for around $542.29 + shipping and the D10s for around $612.44 + shipping.

Pros - IMHO, the Tisas 1911 punch above their weight for the price. Forged frames, hammer forged barrels and lack of MIM parts (IIRC the recoil spring plug is the only MIM part) and series 70 internals.

Cons - "Novak style sights". Sounds like Tisas in the past tried to license Novak style sight systems but Novak said no. To some this is a big deal, others not so much.

Hopefully this post gives you some more options to consider.

Be safe.
 
Posts: 105 | Location: Crawfordville | Registered: October 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Are 6" 10mm's that much nicer to shoot?


I think so.

I found a deal on a used STI Perfect 10 a few years back.

It became my go-to 10mm for most anything but a carry piece.

Not sure what a 10mm 2011 would go for now, but wouldn't be surprised if it would be a shock.


I can get the Romulus for $1350.

I’m waiting to see what some auctions go for the next two days then I might pull the trigger on the Romulus.





Eight years to retirement! Just waiting!
 
Posts: 8034 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pinbot1966:
For me, I would look hard at the Tisas Yukon (4.25 inch barrel) or even harder at the D10 (5.0 inch barrel).

The Yukon is fitted with Fiber-Optic Front and U-Notch Rear. Features Ed Brown bobtail treatment, licensed from Ed Brown. I have not shot the Yukon, so no thoughts on control or recoil.

The D10 was/is offered with a LPA Bomar Small Blade Adj. Rear Sight, Serrated Black Front Sight. 20LPI Checkering Front & Back Straps w/ Trigger Under Cut

The D10FO is fitted with Fiber-Optic Front and U-Notch Rear. 20LPI Checkering Front & Back Straps w/ Trigger Under Cut.

The D10s are two-tone finish.

I have shot both versions of the D10 and had no issues with either. Recoil is manageable.

FWIW, I shoot the D10s more accurately than my P220 R5 reverse two-tone. I attribute this to the 1911 trigger vs the DA/SA trigger of the P220.

The Yukon can be had for around $542.29 + shipping and the D10s for around $612.44 + shipping.

Pros - IMHO, the Tisas 1911 punch above their weight for the price. Forged frames, hammer forged barrels and lack of MIM parts (IIRC the recoil spring plug is the only MIM part) and series 70 internals.

Cons - "Novak style sights". Sounds like Tisas in the past tried to license Novak style sight systems but Novak said no. To some this is a big deal, others not so much.

Hopefully this post gives you some more options to consider.

Be safe.


I noticed that little play on words as well. I initially took it as Novak dovetail but not Novak sights.





Eight years to retirement! Just waiting!
 
Posts: 8034 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Unrated to you question but I just got the Chiappa Rhino 10mm snub and it’s so light recoiling it’s incredible. It feels tamer then 39 spcl through a J frame.


_______________________________________________
Use thumb-size bullets to create fist-size holes.
 
Posts: 13224 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I have the M&P 2.0 4.6" in 10mm. Great pistol and great ergonomics. It's still a stout recoil machine, but an excellent gun nonetheless.



 
Posts: 1993 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
If you're not adverse to the 320 platform, I found the 320 xten comp to have less felt recoil than either the full size xten or p220 10mm when shot side by side. The loss in velocity through the xten comp was about 80fps, or less, when working up my handloads for all three pistols.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10-7 leo,



Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin
 
Posts: 2059 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of GOTSIG
posted Hide Post
Indeed. The 320 X-Ten comp with those expansion chamber cuts helps over the full size, and polymer helps soak up some recoil through some flexing. It shoots a little easier for me than my Colt Delta Elite and S&W 1006 ever did.


====================
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." THOMAS
JEFFERSON
 
Posts: 919 | Location: Maine, U.S.A. | Registered: August 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I had a Delta Elite years ago with a 24 pound recoil spring and my shell casings still landed 15 plus feet away. My Gen 4 glock 20 shoots super smooth! 10mm is a great choice!!
 
Posts: 155 | Location: Kyle Texas | Registered: August 23, 2025Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Just got an FN 510 with factory comp. Hit 400 rounds with zero issues. Very accurate and the comp absolutely helps with recoil. Its fun to shoot
 
Posts: 600 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
As far as barrel length, is it going to be a range toy or a carry gun? If for carry, then get a length you can comfortably carry. Few of us are as tall as Hickock45, which means we don't find 6" barrels practical for carry.

I'm a 10mm fan. For hammer fired, I like Tanfoglio. For striker, I like Glock, but I also have a M&P 10mm that I've been happy with in the less-than-a-year I've owned it. I trust the Glock more, due to some negative experiences w/ the M&P 10mm posted by members of this forum. The Glock 10mm platform simply has a much longer & proven track record.
 
Posts: 3835 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I like my XDM Elite 3.8 in 10mm with an extended 15 rd mag. Still easy to carry and recoil is not bad.
 
Posts: 2482 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
10mm is on my want to buy list but I remembered this 10mm interview (3 minute YouTube video) by Brownell's with Les Baer. Brownell's guy seems to really like the 6" slide.




"The left can't applaud me because their hands are in other people's pockets." - Javier Milei
 
Posts: 2465 | Location: Texan on the north side of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Can you shoot 40 s&w in that rhino??
 
Posts: 163 | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Could you or should you? The question relies on weather the cartridge index on the case rim or shoulder. If it is shoulder indexed, you HAVE to use moon clips and the projectile jumps from the case mouth to the shoulder index in the cylinder. This may result in shavings from the projectile ending up in the charge holes and creating an issue from prolonged use of .40 cartridges in the weapon. I have never handled a Korth and can offer no first hand opinion. This is based on handling a 1917 Smith and a 610 Mountain gun, both of which headspace on the shoulder of the cartridge.
 
Posts: 949 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
G40 MOS Gen 4 has the 6 inch barrel... it has been discontinued but they are available.

Or a G20 in Gen 5....

https://us.glock.com/en/produc...pistols/g40-gen4-mos

Need to get mine out to the range...
 
Posts: 28567 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    10mm question

© SIGforum 2026