SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    320 double clicks. I learned to love it.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

320 double clicks. I learned to love it. Login/Join 
posted
I had a conversation recently with a friend that just picked up a 320 X5. The trigger has the dreaded double click. His quick search of the interwebz had him concerned that it was an issue. I told him to stop his bitchin and learn to love it.

I to have seen, in the past, a lot of double click post here and on other sites. Shooters seem to fall in 2 camps. The majority that see it as a defect and hate it. Others say it is a non issue. My friend was in the first group. He is not any more.

I will not get into whether SIG should tighten tolorences and hunt out this curious aspect of the 320. That is thier bag. I actually hope they never get rid of it, becaue I love the double click.

I dry fire a fair amount. More than most, less than I would like. I am also a guy that relies a great deal on prepping as a tool to run my trigger more aggressively. The double click has become my best friend. It is the hidden feature that lets me know I am doing things the way I want.

The thing I looks for in my dry fire is a very aggressive prep and a soft roll through the break. If I am doing it correctly, I aggressively crush through the "first" click and slowly roll through the "second". The gun literally tells me if I'm being disecret enough with my prep and roll.

My buddy employs the same type of trigger control. Once I explained how I use this nuance to my advantage in practice he gave it a try. He is now a believer.

I have 3 p320s. They all exhibit it to one degree or another. One is very faint. That is the one I work toward mastering. I know if I can build enough feel into my finger and process to exploit this consistently my trigger press will be baller.

I get the dislike. But it does not manifest in live fire. It does not impact function. It is just odd. If you look at it the way I do, it is odd in the best way possible.

If you hate it and aren't going to get over it then so be it. This post is not about selling anything to anyone. You do you.

But, if your p320 double clicks and you are a trigger prepper, try thinking of it as a asset not a flaw.

Posts: 204 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The voluntary upgrade is supposed to eliminate it. I hope it does because I experience dead triggers because of it.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once upon a time, the double click was an intentional feature to aid in dry fire. It's better that dry firing a Glock with a dead trigger.

Posts: 551 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt it was an intentional feature.

I also wonder why you would "aggressively crush through" the first click, as that is actually when the pistol would fire. Maybe you're just describing it wrong, but that isn't prepping the trigger, that sounds like jerking it.

But if it works for you, I guess that's great.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
To say that Hawk jerks the trigger is pretty laughable. My suggestion is that when he speaks, you should listen and learn. The man knows more about high speed gun handling that most could ever dream of learning. But, he should. He runs one of the toughest gunfighting schools that the .gov has to offer.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, it still doesn't change that crushing through the first click isn't prepping. It's firing.

That's also not to say that people can't shoot great when being aggressive with the trigger. His description just doesn't make sense. What I read was get through the first click fast and slow down to roll through the second. If the first click was just some staging or safety feature, and the second one fired the pistol, it'd make sense. But that's not how the P320 works, at least right now.

Maybe he's describing it wrong or maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
So, I'm curious, how do you pull the trigger at 5-6 shots per second if you don't crush the prep?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My double click happened after I changed the trigger from original to Sig extreme duty or whatever they called it. Then, after I changed to Apex AND changed to a Sig Large Carry grip module, the double click left. I think it may be related to the position of or condition of the hairspring on the trigger bar.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I have dreams where I can "jerk the trigger" like Hawk Wink
Dude is scary fast.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
So, I'm curious, how do you pull the trigger at 5-6 shots per second if you don't crush the prep?

I have a new X5 and I can't wag my finger anywhere close to that speed. Without touching a trigger even. The way I pull the hook is like semi arthritic man trying to "come hither" someone. At best.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Eek Master, I have come to learn your secret.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
https://opspectraining.com/course-schedule/

They take MasterCard Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
I doubt it was an intentional feature.

I also wonder why you would "aggressively crush through" the first click, as that is actually when the pistol would fire. Maybe you're just describing it wrong, but that isn't prepping the trigger, that sounds like jerking it.

But if it works for you, I guess that's great.

While I love the support from the OpSpec alumni, I probably should be more clear.

I think BuddyChryst poses a great question. How and maybe more importantly why would I "crush" through the trigger, particularly in light of being an open supporter of prepping the trigger?

I think my answer lies in how I perceive prepping as a tool not and end goal. For ME, prepping is not the goal in and of itself. I don't always want to be prepping. It is the method by which I am trying to teach myself to jerk the trigger straight back without disturbing the sights or putting any other negative input on the gun.

To illustrate it on paper more simply... I may have started with a light prep. Let's call it 25% of travel/pressure required to break a shot. As I improve I may start prepping more, 45-65% and eventually 70-85%. As all the aspects of becoming a better shooter start to come together this number/assertiveness with my trigger will continue to increase. At least I hope so. If I s hould reach a point where I can draw/move/transition at a level that would support >95% then I would be very close to a "controlled" slap/jerk.

This is what I want. To see a target...have the gun show up... crush the trigger... make the desired shot. I think it's what we should all want. For me personally, the things I learn along the way allow me to choose the level of care I put into the trigger depending on the difficulty or risk involved in the shot. I need this "crutch" I call prepping preciey because I am not that good and because its serves as the roadmap I follow to improve my level of skill. I'm still very much learning this stuff. But in the end I still have the goal of smacking it as soon as it shows up.

The 320 double click, and I also doubt it was an intentional design feature, helps me with this. It does not matter that the shot would break on the first or second click when in live fire. Without the double click in specific dry fire drills how would I know if had used to much pressure to break a shot? How would I know if I'm JUST under or over the 100% line? To little gets no click of the striker. Anything over the actual poundage needed to release the striker gets me a click. But way over this line tends to be problematic.

The double click helps we with this. How fast and aggressively can I prep and back off so that I know I'm very quickly putting only the necessary amount (plus a tini bit) of pressure on the trigger, allowing the striker to fall with no extra/unneeded input????

I know when I can feel that double click.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hrhawk,

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
https://opspectraining.com/course-schedule/

They take MasterCard Smile

Bruce

I'm hoping the do another class at Smith Mountain Lake, VA. I was unemployed the last time they came, I won't miss them again.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hrhawk, thanks for taking the time on this thread. Some aspects of technique are very difficult to verbalize. Like trying to explain how to tie a shoelace. Very easy in-person, very difficult to verbally explain.

I've been an instructor for over 25 years. There are always a number of posts on forums asking for either explanatory or corrective advice regarding technique. Many I pass on, although I know the solution. In a live-fire class, it would take me about five minutes to produce results. In a forum, I'd have to spend a half hour preparing a post. Even then, I'd have no idea if the recipient would understand.

One example is trigger prepping with DA/SA. I figured it out myself after I got my first Sig in 1995 (P229 .40). Since few instructors are familiar with DA/SA, I always work with those shooters. Had two good novice shooters with Beretta B92 and Sig P229 in a basic pistol course. Great shooting in SA mode. Later I asked if either had tried DA/SA sequence. Both said yes, but couldn't hit squat. Worked with them individually, about 15 minutes each. After the explanation, demo and hands-on shooting, they both successfully shot DA/SA for the rest of the course. Can't do that on a forum though.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with you. So hard to articulate things in print. That and I don't care for the arguments that ensue. It's why I don't have many posts.