SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W 3" Model 66 Rediscovering an old favorite
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 3" Model 66 Rediscovering an old favorite Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Over the years I've used dog walks to try out new carry guns, holsters, etc. It's been from serious evaluation to getting a wild hair and trying something different (Why not carry a Ruger .357 Blackhawk?). I've learned a lot from my walks like I really can carry a Smith 629 Mountain Gun concealed. And they've also added to my box of holsters I may never use again.

Tonight was a little different, rediscovering an old favorite in carry guns. In Sportsman's the other day looking for .357 ammo when the clerk asked my why I was looking for, "Old Fart ammo". Well, fuck you then you little whippersnapper, I'm going to go carry a .357!

I've got a 3-1/8" barreled Smith & Wesson 66 with round butt finger grooved Ahrends grips on it. I've carried it in an El Paso Saddlery Street Combat pancake holster. Things change, carry guns change, haven't carried it in a long time. It kind of got shoved to the back of the safe by my 3" Ruger GP100 in 10mm. But carrying it tonight reminded me why I love that gun and holster combination. It just carries so easily and doesn't shift while moving around, or have the butt of the gun feel like it's flopping around, it's solid. It shoots great as well, smaller than a traditional .357 revolver yet not punishing like the smaller j-frames.

Walking back up from the river I was getting all nostalgic thinking I need to get back to carrying with this combination more often. Then I saw the fresh black bear scat on the trail that wasn't there on the way down and started thinking, "Summertime in Alaska, time to start carrying something bigger..."

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a few somewhat older S&W revolvers. One than comes to mind is a Model 65, bought it before prices inched up.

As we know, most any revolver isn’t well suited to stop a charging bear, but there are still benefits. Should one encounter a bear, most often there will be no charge.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
There's nothing better than having that perfect carry package. I have a few setups that are just right, but when I've tried to re-create them with different guns, just never seems to work out Frown

I have a really nice S&W 65-5 3" and I bought it with the intention of making it my "hiking" gun. I live in PA and where I hike, we don't have really big bears so I'm comfortable with a 357 with hardcast rounds (I do also carry bear spray).

Well after owning it for awhile I decided its too nice to carry hiking. So a few weeks ago I traded a P320 for this 1978 Ruger Speed Six 2 3/4" barrel 357. Its got some finish wear so it will make a great hiking gun.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've got an older model 66-2 3".
It's one of my favorite revolvers, and I don't care if I'm an old fart for liking it and the .357 Magnum cartridge.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16522 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Nice! That’s a rare-ish barrel-length for a 66.

I dig the shorter-tubed Smiths myself. This 3-1/2” 27-2 accompanies me at times.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a Ruger Police Service Six in 2 3/4s and a 66-3 3". IHHO it's the sweet spot for a Concealed Carry revolver. Heavy enough to be shootable, light enough to carry and generally well balanced. The only druthers is the lack of support for the Six series, holsters and replacement front sights. I also have to get the trigger of my 66 radiused, it's not as comfortable as the Ruger.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned a few 66 2 1/2” through the years and I’m down to one pre-lock model. I always wanted a 3 inch model but when they were easy it come by it seemed that I always wanted something else.

I recently picked up a 66-8, 2 3/4” which is probably the closest to a three inch I’ll ever get to in a K-frame.

I did own three 65s with 3 inch tubes that I sold off prior to them gaining “holy grail” status. Silly me.

Posts: 757 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
another 66 3" fan,

bought one new back in the 80's,
lew horton or similar special
3 inch, full length ejector, round but,

the factory grips sucked, esp in 357, (rotates in my hand) so I bought a set of Eagle finger groove (like kinda like hogue knockoffs) and it made it much better

I carry it once in a while in a leather pancake holster

eta, here is mine with some Factory Smith round butt combat's I picked up later

https://imgur.com/zYTmrhA

https://imgur.com/u2Bsz6e

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lyman,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
“Worse” than that here. At lunch today I swapped out my P365 Tac Ops in a Crossbreed holster for a S&W Model 36 with a 2” barrel in a Galco holster. Not a permanent swap, I own both of these.

Why did I do that? Because I could!

Now there’s the definition of an “old fart gun!”

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8108 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Well, fuck you then you little whippersnapper, I'm going to go carry a .357!

Big Grin
Signature worthy.

Posts: 5145 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I kind of know what the OP is talking about. I own a ton of handguns, but one of my favorites is a late 70's S&W 4" Model 64. I can't really explain why.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Who doesn't love those?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 3" Model 65 ain't too shabby either:

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post