SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What would you carry in 1898?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you carry in 1898? Login/Join 
posted
So there's a discussion about what would you carry in 1968 but what about 1898? Would you stick with a tried and true single action revolver, a newer double action one or thanks to the invention of smokeless powder you can carry one of those new fangled semi auto pistols. I've always been fascinated by the guns of this time period. I'll go with a Bergman 1896 just because it looks cool.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3544 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Knowing what I know now, probably something like this.

But I wouldn't know what I know now, so who knows? Wink

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I would almost certainly opt for a 4 3/4" SAA in .45 Colt (though sigfreund's storekeeper is really cool).

Posts: 3508 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Smith hand ejector, and the go to the K frame size hand ejector in '99.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
Mauser C96

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
C96 if for NO OTHER REASON then Bad ass then, bad ass now. I’d probably rock a monocle too just cuz.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably the SAA in .44-40 and a Winchester 1873 to match.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1861 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5759 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
I would almost certainly opt for a 4 3/4" SAA in .45 Colt.

This right here for me. Actually, make that two of them.

Posts: 17191 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handgun: Colt SAA in .45 Colt. Barrel trimmed even with the ejector rod housing.
Rifle: The newfangled Winchester 94 in 30.30.
Shotgun: 1897 Winchester Pump.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16112 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Handgun: Colt SAA in .45 Colt. Barrel trimmed even with the ejector rod housing.
Rifle: The newfangled Winchester 94 in 30.30.
Shotgun: 1897 Winchester Pump.

thats what I too would carry. For Cowboy action shooting today I shoot the same pistols in caliber and!'manufacture; the same Winchester 94, but in45lc, and for shot gun, a 12ga CZ Coach with hammers.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
S&W lemon Squeezer .38 S&W, or a Merwin & Hulbert DA in the same Caliber.

If I felt the need for something bigger then I'd add a Colt SAA in one of the larger Calibers, or a Merwin & Hulbert.

Posts: 625 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Some flavor of higher end, more modern, medium-sized double-action revolver with a swing-out cylinder, like a Colt New Police or Colt New Service.

Semiautos weren't quite there yet, with the C96 being the only really reliable and robust semiauto available, and it's too large for most carry purposes.

And I wouldn't want to have to deal with Single Action Only revolvers, or especially gate-loading single rounds and punching out empties one by one.

(So I guess some type of top-break DA revolver would be a second choice.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32540 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
SAA in 45Colt, 4 3/4”.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Some flavor of higher end, more modern, medium-sized double-action revolver with a swing-out cylinder, like a Colt New Police or Colt New Service.

Semiautos weren't quite there yet, with the C96 being the only really reliable and robust semiauto available, and it's too large for most carry purposes.

well if I am wearing that big old canvas or leather duster, I could carry a C96,

maybe even a borchardt

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10433 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt SAA in caliber 45 Colt with a 4 3/4 or 5 1/2 inch barrel. The SAA "feels Right" in my hand and in fact I own one with a 4 3/4 in barrel.

I would also have a 30-40 Kraig Carbine.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1452 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Luger.

C96 Mauser.

Posts: 368 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
Technically, Lugers were around.

Technically, but not really. Big Grin

The Luger's not an option, unless in this imaginary scenario you were also imagining you happened to be a personal friend of Georg Luger that was gifted a custom prototype, or imagining you were a member of the Swiss military testing board who managed to steal one of five 1898 trials prototypes away for personal use. Wink

The first fireable prototype Luger was made in mid-1898 in preparation for Swiss military testing (in response to their disappointment with the earlier Borschardt C93 design), and that and subsequent prototypes were tested for the remainder of 1898 and through 1899, with approximately five total prototypes being produced specifically for military trials in 1898, and another three dozen or so prototypes with various changes made for further trials in 1899.

The Luger didn't first enter formal production until mid-1900, and didn't become available on the commercial market in small quantities until mid/late 1900, a couple years too late for this thought exercise.

Posts: 32540 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Probably a surplus SAA and a vest Bowie.

Posts: 9980 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post