SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What would you carry in 1898?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you carry in 1898? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I thought it would be more interesting to include the option of a firearm that's still being developed. If you were living in that time would you consider a futuristic unproven pistol? People are generally pretty conservative about guns though. The Colt SAA was being used long after faster and easier loading pistols were made available.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3544 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Heathens....Winchester 1892 and a S&W Schofield New #3 both in 44-40 of course....and a big assed Bowie knife

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2919 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
A broomhandle mauser in 7.62x25 a mauser in 7x57 and a lever action .405 winchester

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Broom handle Mauser.

1891 Argentine Mauser and/or 96 Swedish Mauser.

Was the Colt Potato Digger MG around in 1898? Not remembering off the top of my head. If not, a Maxim Gun just for good measure.

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aw man...
Elkabong beat me to the punch.

S&W Schofield New #3 in 44-40 but the Wells Fargo edition.

The only difference is that I would have tried to purchase a Henry rifle.

I would also add a shogtun:

If possible a 1887 Winchester Shotgun repeating shotgun in 12 gauge.

But more likely I would have carried a Stevens double barrel.

I say I would like to purchase a Henry because:
(from True West magazine)

The Henry at $42 each, cost four times that of the Springfield so the Army, in a shortsighted effort to keep costs down, purchased only seventeen hundred. Private organizations and state militia’s also purchased and used them in the war. Those units lucky enough to be issued the Henry enjoyed a tremendous firepower advantage over their Confederate foes. General Sherman’s army carried them on their famous or infamous march through Georgia and the rifles were described by Southerner’s as “that damned Yankee rifle that is loaded on Sunday and fires all week long.”

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The C96 Mauser, shoulder stock included.

Posts: 775 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
A Winchester 92 and a Colt SAA both in 44-40

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
A Colt Lightening 1877. Just like Doc!

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
Technically, Lugers were around.

Technically, but not really. Big Grin

The Luger's not an option, unless in this imaginary scenario you were also imagining you happened to be a personal friend of Georg Luger that was gifted a custom prototype, or imagining you were a member of the Swiss military testing board who managed to steal one of five 1898 trials prototypes away for personal use. Wink

The first fireable prototype Luger was made in mid-1898 in preparation for Swiss military testing (in response to their disappointment with the earlier Borschardt C93 design), and that and subsequent prototypes were tested for the remainder of 1898 and through 1899, with approximately five total prototypes being produced specifically for military trials in 1898, and another three dozen or so prototypes with various changes made for further trials in 1899.

The Luger didn't first enter formal production until mid-1900, and didn't become available on the commercial market in small quantities until mid/late 1900, a couple years too late for this thought exercise.
Wait, what? We have to explain the choice outside of it existing at the stated time? Do we have to explain our existence at the end of the 19th century in this "thought exercise"?

Posts: 5759 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
C96 with its shoulder stock for sure.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the intent was to ask what would you CC in 1898, then the answers so far are far off the mark.

In 1898, a S&W breaktop in 32 or 38 would have been in your pocket if you were a gun savvy individual. Kind of the J frame of the era.

Posts: 775 | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, C96. According to your premise, Han Solo won't arrive for another 79 years but dat be da one I'd wanna rock wit, bro.

-MG

Posts: 2006 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Likely a triad....

Colt Model 1898 6 shot aka Colt New Service... .45Colt cartridge....would be my medium distance weapon or in the same room weapon.

Henry 1860....high capacity, 44 cal ammo, use as club if empty plust just bad ass and proven on battlefield of Civil War. My longer range weapon to keep them at bay or to hole up and defend myself or family.

Tomahawk/WarClub for those tight fights where I want power, slashing and damage....

These would be my every day carry in that time period.....concealed carry was not a thing. You carried what you needed....how you needed.

Posts: 64 | Registered: July 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I'd tote around a Maxim in a wagon.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
Was the Colt Potato Digger MG around in 1898?

Yep! It was even being used by the US military in 1898 during the Spanish-American War. (Primarily by Marines and Navy "bluejacket" infantry, chambered in 6mm Lee Navy.)

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighthouse Keeper
posted Hide Post
A snubbed and bobbed Colt Army in .38 LC, along with a Winchester 94 in .30 WCF. If I wanted a big-bore revolver I’d go with a Smith & Wesson Model 3 in .44 WCF, and possibly add a Winchester 92 chambering the same cartridge.

Posts: 840 | Location: America's High-Five | Registered: December 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Would have to be a Colt SAA...with barrel chopped to the length of the ejector housing.

Posts: 8617 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post