SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Canik, PSA Daggers, et al ...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canik, PSA Daggers, et al ... Login/Join 
Picture of Gallo Pazzesco
posted
I got to shoot a couple of Caniks over the weekend. Pretty nice pistols for their price point. Triggers are excellent fwiw.

Already own a couple of Daggers, given PSA is a LGS to me I bought a couple, one as a tractor/barn gun and another as my farm truck console piece ... I mean again, for the money, you can't go wrong imho.

Anyone else have any experience with any of these $350-$600 price point new players in the market?

The Dagger is fairly modular as well. One of the two I bought (separate buys) came with ten flippin' mags. I ordered it online and picked it up at the main PSA showroom, under $400 out the door.

Kind of reminds me of the old Gen I Glock days back in the 80s and early 90s.

Any other new offerings in this price point range out there that I am unaware-of? I believe that after this recent Shot Show both Canik and the PSA Daggers are about to take off and become very popular ... especially among the poors and those interested in their first semi.

Posts: 104 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Caniks are already popular. I believe they're past the point of being a new player fighting for respectability.

Their new Mete MC9 looks promising. It looks like the micro 9 Walther fans have been waiting for. I want to check one out, b/c it's the only one of new breed micro 9s that uses a true double-stack mag and accepts the same mags its larger siblings use. I wonder if its grip will feel thick and be more likely to print compared to its competition.

Did Canik figure something out other manufacturers didn't? If you can make a 1.1" wide micro 9 using existing double-stack mags, then why go through the trouble of designing 1 1/2 stack mags that P365, Hellcat, Shield Plus, GX4, etc use?

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up and dry fired the MC9 at Shot and it felt good in the hand. Very nice trigger.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Shot a friend's Dagger a couple months ago. His has a RDS on it.
Found it shot pretty well & was surprised as the G19 just doesn't fit my hand right & accuracy suffers every time I've tried one.

Wouldn't mind one for a cheap 9mm option.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My nephew bought one. Nice little g19 clone for peanuts. What’s not to love? PSA makes no bones about it. We are going to make an even more inexpensive g19. Grip felt like a polymer 80 grip. Other than that it felt/looked like all my g19’s.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Just looked at those Daggers for the first time, question are they made in the USA by PSA?

Really look interesting.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are asking if they are imported, I don't think so.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Agreed - the Daggers are domestically produced. Mine's been working fine, so I'm thinking about picking up a Dagger X slide (4.5" barrel rather than the original 4") just because all of their slides are supposed to fit on any one of their grip frames.

Also agree that Caniks are fairly well-established - one certainly sees them around in the region where I live.

FWIW, just dipped into the 9mm Tisas 1911s per the recommendation of someone else here (still on that single-stack 9mm kick). Series 70, sales have put some fairly low prices out there, all steel with a hammer-forged barrel.

I feel guilty because I hate Erdogan, but this thing shoots well and is pretty neat.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I found a pretty good deal on a pristine Canik TP9E SC. Sorta large for a subcompact but I threw an RMRs optic on it and it’s proven to be both reliable and accurate. Groups are on par with my G5 Glocks and with a more interesting trigger. I like it..

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of the Daggers and working on a third. Outstanding deal for what they are. Some folks put upgraded triggers and internals in them, but then you’re losing the budget part of the gun.
Also have one of their Rock 5.7 pistols, and if you want to play in that arena $350 isn’t bad at all.
Palmetto State makes pretty good stuff for a good price. I’ll end up with more of their products, I’m sure.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I own a Canik TP9SFX and love it. I put a Holosun reflex sight on it and it's a nail driver. I had a minor issue with ejection (stove pipes) but it seems like it's a non-issue because it hasn't happened since. I attribute it to not being broken in.

I also just recently purchased a Tisas 1911A1 9mm pistol. I haven't shot it yet so I don't know what I'm getting into yet, but I've heard pretty good things.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
This thread had me browsing the Dagger.
PSA has a couple deals running:
Dagger Compact, pistol case & 10 15rd mags - $360
https://palmettostatearmory.co...nes-pistol-case.html
Dagger Full Size [Threaded], case & 10 17rd mags - $420
https://palmettostatearmory.co...magazines-black.html

Both seem decent deals.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got some good experience now with the Glones that are priced under 1K, so no Zev or anything like that. The BUL is too new on the market, and neither it nor the Kiger hold any interest for me. (I have had the chance to handle both several times.)

Daggers are fantastic, IMHO.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
My nephew bought one...Grip felt like a polymer 80 grip. Other than that it felt/looked like all my g19’s.

I heartily disagree. The Dagger is unique among them all as the grip has palm swells as part of the mold. It fills out the hand like no other. The muzzle is flush with face of the slide, and it has a recessed crown. The hinged trigger is exactly like Smith's M&P's up until their recent change to a dingus-trigger. However, instead of that thin fish-hook, the PSA trigger is about twice as wide. It feels more positive.

The P80, both PFC and S were serialed, and not from kits. The grip feels better than a stock Glock to me, and it points more naturally. Their triggers can be hit or miss. It's best to handle one them before buying. They come with three metal-lined mags that look exactly like OEM Glock. Not P-mags.

Both the P80 and PSA are chassis-frames, ala Sig 3-series guns. Thus, their grips are on the thicker, chunkier side. That's where Lone-Wolf and Shadow take a leap ahead. They are each built like a Glock, with the metal molded into the plastic. Less bulk in the hand. Both have backstraps that you can change to better suit you, also. Not an option on the others.

The Lone Wolf handles recoil a bit better for me, over the Shadow. That is, comparing G19-like TWC3 vs. MR920. It weighs just one ounce more, so I can't see that as the reason, LOL. The Shadow has more eye fluff than needed, IMHO. However, they have the best trigger of the four, IMHO. They intro'd their Foundation line a few months back which allows them to be more cost competitive. Less eye-candy, no front night-sight, and an ordinary trigger.

Overall the LW just seems a bit less angular, more svelte. When I run my hand across the slide as if to clear a stovepipe, it's smoother. So far, it's the one I like the best of all of the four.

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Thinking I need one of these Daggers to replace my Shield truck gun.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
PSA announced at Shot Show that they were developing a micro sized Dagger, similar to a Glock 43. I plan on picking up one when they drop.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daggers follow the Glock grip angle or do they follow the 1911 grip angle??

Posts: 691 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Glock grip angle.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bean:

G17/19 IIRC, but fits my hand much better than the Glocks, oddly.

posted Hide Post
I think that the Dagger has some palm swells molded into the grip where the Glock is basically a 2x4 shaped handle. For me, Glock is almost perfect, the grip angle is what gets me and the palm swells to a lesser degree

quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bean:

G17/19 IIRC, but fits my hand much better than the Glocks, oddly.

Posts: 691 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum's Official
Metalhead
Picture of DTREND75
posted Hide Post
The Dagger series are just G19 Gen 3 clones

Sensitive and caring since August 2009

Some people are like a Slinky....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Posts: 3809 | Location: PSST! Look behind you! | Registered: July 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post