SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Two Glock 17 Gen 5s- fun surprise
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two Glock 17 Gen 5s- fun surprise Login/Join 
posted
Sooo I am 100% hiding the second of these two Glock 17s from the boss.

I was cloaked in shadows, furtively checking out the new addition. I’d not had the “twins” out together until tonight. Then it was clear they aren’t twins at all! Second one is in the back.

Yes, there’s a billion percent Sig Forum simping in this pic. Big Grin

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish we could do another Silver round Sigforum coin.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LDB
posted Hide Post
What's the deal with the second one?

-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
-----
Common sense isn't "right wing" unless you are too far to the left.
-----
P220 .38 Super
P225 9mm

Posts: 151 | Location: Greater Houston | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDB:

It has front slide serrations, which were just added to the G17 partway into Gen 5 production. The older one doesn't.

Additionally, while you can't see it in the photo, the older Gen 5 in the front also probably has the half-moon cutout at the front of the magazine well, which was deleted partway into Gen 5 production. That'll be missing from the newer Gen 5 in the back.

So basically, Underdog thought he had two identical Gen 5 G17s, and didn't realize until now that one was an "old" Gen 5 and the other was a "new" Gen 5.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Now you need to get yourself a 17M to finish the set Big Grin I got the 17 Gen 5 w/front serrations, then a 17M, then an early 17 Gen 5 w/no front serrations; got all three in a space of a couple of months!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Now you need to get yourself a 17M to finish the set Big Grin I got the 17 Gen 5 w/front serrations, then a 17M, then an early 17 Gen 5 w/no front serrations; got all three in a space of a couple of months!

Is it just me, or does the 17M have a great trigger right out of the box? I was surprised.

Posts: 143 | Location: Newnan GA | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have the G45 and a Gen3 19 but darned if I don't think I need a new Gen5 17 and 19 combo now.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

It has front slide serrations, which were just added to the G17 partway into Gen 5 production. The older one doesn't.

Additionally, while you can't see it in the photo, the older Gen 5 in the front also probably has the half-moon cutout at the front of the magazine well, which was deleted partway into Gen 5 production. That'll be missing from the newer Gen 5 in the back.

So basically, Underdog thought he had two identical Gen 5 G17s, and didn't realize until now that one was an "old" Gen 5 and the other was a "new" Gen 5.

RogueJSK nailed it. Big Grin

Thank you for the responses, they are sincerely appreciated.

I’m not a Glock guy; however I ended up with the first Gen 5 Glock 17 because a relative was going through the Jacksonville Sheriff's Dept. (their issue) training. He quickly failed out so I kept the pistol I planned to train him with and gift him upon graduation.

I took the OG Glock 17 out to the range and just loved the trigger. Very few of my firearms haven’t had the triggers improved. The OG Glock 17 trigger in this post is amazing. It “feels” better than the newer Glock 17. I’ll do a trigger pull measurement tomorrow.

These Glock 17s are destined for my daughters. Pretty much all my current firearm purchases, magazines, ammo, etc. are for them and their descendants.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LDB
posted Hide Post
The second one looks like the beavertail extends back farther than the slide while the front one looks like they match up.

-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
-----
Common sense isn't "right wing" unless you are too far to the left.
-----
P220 .38 Super
P225 9mm

Posts: 151 | Location: Greater Houston | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I am very glad I got one of the 'original' G17 Gen5's WITHOUT the FCS. Perfect gun for me. I could care less about the magazine cutout. Before the Gen5 became my all time favorite Glock the Gen2 17 was and it had the cutout.

I only wish I had bought a Gen5 G19 before they went to the FCS.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Before the Gen5 became my all time favorite Glock the Gen2 17 was and it had the cutout...

Same here. The Gen2 works best for me as it offers all the versatility that the Gen5 does not.

Haven't seen a Gen5 carbine upper, custom barrels, etc...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
The second one looks like the beavertail extends back farther than the slide while the front one looks like they match up.

Has the beaver tail back strap installed.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thing is the newer gen 5 frame is actually beveled to match the slide on the dust cover/light rail.

Always thought that was a massive oversight.

Posts: 1900 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: October 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an original gen 5 19 without the front serrations and the half moon cutout. It was so uncomfortable in the hand. I like the new FS models though, they for my hand right.

P229 Enhanced Elite
P229R
P229

Posts: 60 | Location: Ga | Registered: August 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post