SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG226 magazines in a SIG229.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG226 magazines in a SIG229. Login/Join 
Free men do not ask
permission to bear arms
Picture of George43
posted
Will they fit/function? will they be carry reliable?

A gun in the hand is worth more than ten policemen on the phone.
The American Revolution was carried out by a group of gun toting religious zealots.

Posts: 3808 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: June 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Yes. Just buy some X-grip adapters from forum member USAOZ

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Yes, I carried a P229 9mm for years and used P226 mags as reloads.

I never had an issue over-inserting the magazine and did not carry my P226 magazines with any kind of grip-adapter.

My reasoning was: with never having experienced any overinsertion issues, the grip adapters could only come loose and rattle, or (more likely) I could pinch myself while inserting the magazine.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huh. I thought they were different, which is why I had reliability issues running P226 mags in my P224 (which was based on the P229 mag, or so I thought)

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I've run P226 mags in my P228 with X-grip adapters for years without any pinching or functionality problems. They are also soft and somewhat rubbery so no rattle problems.

I've also had the same success with X-grips on my P2000 mags that I use in my P2000sk.

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Davenator:
Huh. I thought they were different, which is why I had reliability issues running P226 mags in my P224 (which was based on the P229 mag, or so I thought)

In theory the comparable caliber P226 mag will run in all iterations of the P229. However I never bought a P229 with the 229-1 sized magwell so I never tested that myself. I have shot others' P229-1s in the past using the narrower P228/P229 mags from my cache and those seem to run fine, if a bit loose in fit. So again in theory a P226 mag should run just as well as the P228/P229 mag. I can't say what might be going on with your P224 however; perhaps there's just not enough depth to its magwell to keep a P226 mag aligned within operational tolerance?

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post