SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need help...new front sight for a S&W 19 K-Comp.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help...new front sight for a S&W 19 K-Comp. Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
I have a S&W K-Comp (Model 19/K Frame) with a replaceable front sight. The one that comes with it is all blacked out with a single tritium vial.

I'm looking for a new front sight suggestion or sight set. I can do some minor smithing, but I'm no Bill Wilson...

Any ideas?

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Similar to the way Ruger mounts its front sights. The proper size punch is the key to swapping it out. I would guess Smith makes a sight for it like the old "red ramps" that was often on the target models. Only drawback to that might be exposing the insert to blast and heat from the comp.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Is there an intended use? I suppose a dab of ‘sight paint’ won’t cut it?

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
I went with the “High Viz” sight on mine. I couldn’t see the factory front sight very well at all.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
One thing I learned on a Ruger LCR is that the sight blade can be drilled at the same time as the base, as a manufacturing operation. This allows a pin to be dropped in perfectly aligned. When I replaced the blade with a hi-viz green, the holes did not line up. It was no fun. The punch has to have not only the right diameter but the right tip configuration, to avoid mushrooming the pin. A pistolsmith rubber block to support the barrel is also required. Be careful with the blue finish as you pound mercilessly on the pin to drift out and back in. The amount of force amazed me.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are some good suggestions above...

To drift that sight retaining pin out, you'll be wise to get a roll pin set...Harbor Freight, cheap.

The next problem is that S&W generally sells their front sight replacements without the hole drilled, and, too, it's not a 1/16" pin either, on the two that I have done. You'll need to get the proper size numbered machinist's drill bit (#54 IIRC) ... get a cpl while you're at it, as they're easy to break off.

Lastly, getting the hole drilled in the replacement sight blade, using the hole in the sight base for alignment is a royal PITA, but can be done. I ended up drilling mine from both sides rather than attempting to do it in one pass, from one side. It worked out ok, but getting that alignment right takes some time.

Good luck, it's not a project for the timid. Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Patridge front sights with a gold bead: http://www.sdmfabricating.com/Gold%20Bead.htm

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dawson has a full line of replacement front sights. Dawson even offers different widths so you can go thin or wide fiber depending on your preference. I like a thin fiber front and blacked out factory rear on mine.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wacopolumbo:
I went with the “High Viz” sight on mine. I couldn’t see the factory front sight very well at all.

How does the comp effect the fiber-optic?

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wacopolumbo
posted Hide Post
None that I noticed. The comp is slightly ahead of it. So far, so good. I inserted the sight and marked the hole location then drilled the hole in the sight on a drill press. I used a roll pin punch to removed and install the pin.

Regards,
Waco

Learning from my mistakes since 1974...

Posts: 1713 | Location: Yorktown, VA | Registered: July 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
One thing I learned on a Ruger LCR is that the sight blade can be drilled at the same time as the base, as a manufacturing operation. This allows a pin to be dropped in perfectly aligned. When I replaced the blade with a hi-viz green, the holes did not line up. It was no fun. The punch has to have not only the right diameter but the right tip configuration, to avoid mushrooming the pin. A pistolsmith rubber block to support the barrel is also required. Be careful with the blue finish as you pound mercilessly on the pin to drift out and back in. The amount of force amazed me.

I recently replaced the factory sight on my Ruger SP101 327, with a XS standard dot tritium sight. Using a cheap 1/16" punch that often bent, I got the existing pin out and sight removed.

My real fun began when I went to drill the XS sight, and the tiny drill bit broke. Went to the other side with another 1/16" drill bit, that broke too. Fortunately, enough was left outside for me to pull it out with pliers.

Went to Lowes and bought a quality set of pin punches by Kobalt and quality 1/16" drill bits, came home and finished the job.

I just ordered a LCRx 327 and in the future plan to replace the sight. I'm glad I read your report, was hoping it would be easier than on my SP101.

Do not buy cheap punches and drill bits unless you really want to screw up.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I swapped out my LCRs sight, the replacement I used was pre-drilled, making the process a lot easier.
Cant recall who made the sight now.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post