SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W Model 19 question date of manufacture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Model 19 question date of manufacture Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
When I look at the model number it clearly shows Mod19- and the next number is a little har to determine. I think it's am "8" but could be a "6."

The serial number is K98xxx. Is the 98 indicative of the year of manufacture?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Does it have the lock or not? A -6 would not, a -8 would. There's a pretty good breakdown of the dash variations and the year they were introduced on the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._%26_Wesson_Model_19

I can't help with the specific year of production, though...but I imagine somebody here a lot more knowledgeable than me can do so.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
98 isn't the year of manufacture. It's circa 1970.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is 1970, is is probably like a -3
You may be seeing assemblers marks which don’t tell you much

Unless you missed an x, that gun (98xxx) is WAY before 1970.k series serial numbers of 5 digits after the K would be in the 1950’s prior to model numbering even starting and likely predating the 19( or combat magnum as it was referred to prior to model numbers) even being introduced

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
K98XXX would be manufactured in 1950. K prefix frames should be a target frame revolver. As said already, a 1950 made Smith would be before it was called a Model 19. Prior to 1957 it was called the “.357 Combat Magnum”.
Adding another X/digit (K98XXXX) to the serial number would make it around 1970. That would most likely be a Model 19-3.
Either way a great vintage S&W revolver, but 1950 would be way cooler than 1970 Cool
Any way you can post pictures?
My reference is the book “Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson”

Posts: 728 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Except that the pre-19 (.357 Combat Magnum) didn't appear until 1955. Must be one of the serial numbers needs reappraisal.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the Combat Magnum aka the Model 19 was introduced at K260000. That's from memory so I may be wrong.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
The Model 19-3 I have has a K95XXXX serial and I'm fairly sure it was manufactured in the 70s. At least that's likely the time frame that my Dad obtained it. I love that gun.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
1970 looks right for that number.

quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
The Model 19-3 I have has a K95XXXX serial and I'm fairly sure it was manufactured in the 70s. At least that's likely the time frame that my Dad obtained it. I love that gun.

Posts: 5618 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
IIRC, the Combat Magnum aka the Model 19 was introduced at K260000. That's from memory so I may be wrong.

That is correct, but it wasn't introduced until 1955, and as a "Four-Screw" gun and was named the Model 19 in 1957...

Posts: 645 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post