SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Talk me out of a new revolver (S&W 43C)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk me out of a new revolver (S&W 43C) Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Based on personal experience with a coral snake many years ago, I consider .22RF snakeshot (ratshot) to be worthless on snakes.

Agreed. I'm not sure that stuff would kill a cockroach. The shot is something like number 12 shot (more like lead dust than shot) and the patterns were atrocious when I experimented with them. Like the size of a piece of notebook paper at ten feet. I wouldn't count on .22 shot shells to kill anything. I used a five or six inch barrelled .22 revolver.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah...the factory boot grips that suit my wife to a "T", are just too small for me...in DA fire with a locked thumb grip, my trigger finger hits my thumb throwing the shot wide. It's all a matter of size of course, and you do what you need to make it right. Since I carry it 100x as much as she does...well you get the idea.

For the most part, I shoot .22 lr for the economy and usually, (but not always), its better accuracy than the .22 Magnum round...this in a pair of Single Six convertibles and a Colt New Frontier SAA. Here on a pair of farms, we have occasional problems with opossums and raccoons in the stock feed bins as well as the chicken coop. For eliminating those pests, we leave one of the guns with the .22 Magnum cylinder installed. It just does a better of dispatching them in the traps or on the run.

To the OP...you made a good choice for your use...I'd be really interested in how it works out on the range...ammo types, groups sizes et. al. I've had better luck, accuracy wise with guns a bit heavier but have been pleasantly surprised on occasion...my new to me S&W M&P 22 Compact is a prime example. At 15 oz., I'd have been skeptical about its grouping possibilities but it's worked out well. With 400+ rounds through it this afternoon, it's 100% reliable with any tried ammuntion to date...and has a preference for Federal's Auto-Match...the cheap stuff. Two groups this afternoon in 10-15 kt gusting wind ran just over an inch at 10 yds! And that from a Weaver, unsupported stance.

At any rate...update us when you get some range time with it... best regards, Rod....BTW, great pics 92f!!

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 728 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

So range day complete. Just brought these two new unfired by me guns to wring them out a bit. The 365 Comp is sweet. I will do that separate.

I shot this 43C a lot. Like 250 rounds which in a revolver is mucho grande. I had a loading block and a speedbeez speedloader and did the block 3 times total plus a couple by hand. 250 minimum.

Trigger isn’t bad. It doesn’t seem as heavy as my other rimfires. It’s fairly smooth. Not completely but close enough I might forego polishing anything for now.

Sights are wicked easy to pick up. They aren’t as easy to figure out aiming point. Out to 10 yards it seems that it shoots behind the dot. Out beyond that it seems to hit at top of dot. You definitely have to use the bowling ball in the gutter method. Ie, the top half of dot is above the rear sight ledge. This system works great, it’s just not precise. That being said, when I settled down to business I was hitting POA with reasonably small groupings. For fast work they might be the fastest iron sights I have ever used. J frames point naturally for me and that big white dot just popped onto the target without effort. Nice setup for a real J frame. (or this baby J frame too lol)

It did not like to get dirty. I cleaned the ejector star area multiple times throughout. I’m religious about pointing gun to sky to eject empties so I wasn’t getting gunk under there but it didn’t matter. It would get gunky and multiple times the trigger would not return forward. I could jiggle cylinder or manually push the trigger forward to reset. I did this a few times and then I had to “clean” the gun. (Didn’t have the right stuff so I made do) Then it worked fine for another 75-100 rounds and process had to be repeated. I will watch this. Clean it was happy though so I can rationalize this. 22’s don’t like gunk.

Overall this thing is a hoot. Plenty accurate. Most of my shooting was between 7-10 yards. I went out to 20 but that dot and my eyes are minute of man for me. The combo just won’t work for headshots at 25 yards if that thread is still alive. Lol. At ranges I expect to use it at the gun was very fun. At 7 yards it was easy to make silver dollar groups at speed.

Glad I bought this one. I will shoot the snot out of it.

Posts: 7537 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice! I'm glad it worked out well for you. And it does kinda make sense that those tiny holes, fine extractor fingers, and dirty rimfire ammunition could gunk things up pretty quick. I don't know as I've ever gone through 250 rounds in one trip with my 63, but I have had a couple of instances where it's had a little hitch when indexing the cylinder. It's infrequent, though, and not repeatable, so I imagine it's just an issue of a little dirt getting into the wrong place and then working itself out.

quote:
For fast work they might be the fastest iron sights I have ever used. J frames point naturally for me and that big white dot just popped onto the target without effort. Nice setup for a real J frame. (or this baby J frame too lol)

As much as I like making small groups at the range, this is really the most important thing for a practical gun like a J-frame. Sounds like you're getting acceptable accuracy out of it anyway, though.

It's definitely a neat little gun...hopefully I don't stumble across one anytime soon as I have other stuff I need to buy first!

Posts: 8585 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s funny. 250 rounds out of my Shadow 2 goes by in a minute. 250 rounds out of a J frame seemed like a lot of ammo!

It also garnered some comments from the guys next slot over. He was very complimentary.

This gun screams out bug gun match. I think that 340 MP is on my radar now. No lock, fairly light, same sight setup but it’s got a tritium center. Only thing better is if they had used the green version.

Posts: 7537 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post