SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Replace KG code P226 mainspring w/new grips?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replace KG code P226 mainspring w/new grips? Login/Join 
posted
Going to order a set of the Hogue Contour Classic grips for my KG date code P226.

Does anyone know if I will have to update the mainspring,strut and bracket to a newer style to use these grips?

Already know I'll have to replace the trigger bar return spring to the newer style.

Posts: 250 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Changes not necessary. Not even the TBS.

This is my KA P228 currently wearing the new Hogue Contour Classic Piranha.

Q

Posts: 26412 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Q

Posts: 250 | Location: SW,MI | Registered: July 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is one thing I would add about the strut assembly from own personal experience. The old metal strut assembly on my P228 prevents the Hogue G10 grips from sitting flush until completely screwed in. Before they are screwed in, there is a visible gap between the two panels. This is consistent across all three Hogue G10 grip sets I own. As far as I can tell, this is because of the way the seat of the old metal strut assembly slightly protrudes from its platform on the frame. The edges of the seat push against the inside bottom of either grip panel. But when the grips are screwed in, the gap disappears and function is perfect anyway.

I have only owned three sets of Hogue G10 grips for the P228/P229. They are all the same revision I believe. So it is possible that someone with a different revision letter would not have the same experience.

My P229 with the newer strut assembly (plastic) shows no such issue with the Hogue G10 grips. My P226s show no such issue with any style of strut assembly.

The style of TBS was completely inconsequential in all cases.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 341 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^ Some older revisions did that to me, also, but, I can't recall what. The current production grips are gtg, however.

Q

Posts: 26412 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
^^^ Some older revisions did that to me, also, but, I can't recall what. The current production grips are gtg, however.

All of my P229/P228 grips are REV I, including the logo black-gray ones (from the PRO CUT) that I got direct from SIG's website only 3 months ago. The other two I own are both the logo black ones (from the Lew Horton P229) that I got from a forum member. I was definitely expecting the ones that I recently ordered from SIG to have a newer revision letter. Maybe Hogue has further revisions that SIG either never bothered asking them for, or that Hogue is keeping to themselves. What letter are your recent ones?

OP, I hope I haven't derailed your thread. For a P226, you'll have none of these issues. For whatever reason, the Hogue G10 grips for the P226 are totally insensitive to the style of strut assembly.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 341 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problem TBW, between Q and you I got the answers I needed and learned something too.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
My Rev I original Piranha has no issue with the old metal main spring strut housing. Fits perfectly even before the screws go on.

The Contour Classic is all new style, so it bears the 1st letter (Rev A). And, it also fits perfectly as noted above.

Q