SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P229 vs P320??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P229 vs P320?? Login/Join 
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

First off, WELCOME to SIGFORUM!!!!

Between these two pistols, either one will serve you well but I think the best decision you made was deciding to take formal firearm classes followed up with counseled carry classes.

I encourage you to make a friend or two at those classes and meet up at a range to put that training to use building the skills you learned.

Enjoy your first pistol!

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let me preface this by saying that no matter what you get, you should train with it extensively. That said, IMO a DA/SA has more of a learning curve than a striker-fired pistol and requires more regular practice to stay sharp.

Just my 2¢.
quote:
Originally posted by DirectDrive:
In your quest, be sure to try the P320 variant called X-Compact.
After reading the tea leaves and looking into my crystal ball, I'm betting you'll end up with that one.

I endorse that reading.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prefer the DA/AS for carry, 229, 229C, 224s. But a 320 would be great for a striker but have not gone down that path yet

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
I had the same challenge and found a new P229 Elite which has the legacy slide and is 228 based. I can;t find a 320 XCompact except on Gun Broker. So i am looking at a P225 and will get a 320 when they can be found at not crazy money. I LOVE the P229 Elite and damn glad I bought it when I could get one. Best of luck and welcome to this awesome forum! The best of the best here will always lend a hand.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 240 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 229 with SRT is pretty damn robust and accurate, tough to beat

Posts: 28 | Location: Fort Worth Texas | Registered: January 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMDave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frocha:
I'm pretty new to owning a handgun. Only one I've ever owned is a Beretta Bobcat. Looking for something to start taking some concealed classes and take some formal training. Until yesterday, I was set on a Sig P229. I like the idea of a SA/DA but am concerned about the size/weight plus I hear a lot about acquiring the target going from DA to SA? Still it looks like an awesome firearm. Now, I've started hearing a lot about the P320. Never really been a fan of Glocks because to be honest I'm a bit uneasy with striker-fires. But even Glock owners seem to really like the P320. So now I'm looking at the P320 RXP Compact. Any thoughts on the P229 vs the P320? I could really use the advice?

Hey frocha... good eye. I am a metal frame guy so, other than my pocket sized 365 and the 320 M17 I just had to have, I only own and shoot 1911s and P series DA/SA SIGS. That said, you have received some truly great advise from folks way smarter than me. I would say the bottom line will be which one feels more comfortable and instills the most confidence in your ability to hit what you're aiming at.

If I were still living in central Texas I would meet you at a range and let you shoot my M17, P229 Classic, and my P226. Unfortunately, I am just a bit too far west in Albuquerque, NM.

OH yeah... If your not hung up on capacity, don't rule out the single stack P225. Just slightly smaller (and lighter) than the P229.

Dave

Posts: 469 | Location: Pearland TEXAS | Registered: June 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like others have said, go shoot both and see what works for you. I like a quality da/sa hammer fired pistol like the Sig series and Beretta 92fs pistols. The transition from da to sa is not bad and I believe there is too much hype, as those that usually complain about it, don't practice enough with it. I am not saying it is for everyone but anything can be done efficiently given time to put into a design,especially a defense firearm. Dry fire practice can help quite a bit and time needs to be devoted to be efficient if not proficient, with whatever you use.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too am a first time pistol buyer. I too made the decision to purchase, probably a P229, but for sure a da/sa sig. Driving my decision, in part, was the ability to dry fire, practice, w/o racking the slide. This will be coupled with a Mantis x10 elite training module in addition to live fire tactical weapons courses which start next month. But... that’s not the only purchase I’m making. I’m also getting a P365XL w/Holosun 507k. One for carry... one for home. Yeah... that ought to do it!

"Can't" that's the word which people that don't want to use.

Posts: 15 | Registered: July 04, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug,

With a pistol such as the P229, it's important to rack the slide for the second shot when dry firing, because that's how the pistol works. The first shot is a long double action trigger pull, and the second is a short return to the trigger reset, so you can fire again.

Both are good purchases.

When training, you can take a grip on the firearm, press it out to arms length with the front sight on the target, and as you do so, take up the trigger until just before the release point. Once the hammer falls, hold the trigger to the rear, and rack the slide to reset the hammer. Then slowly allow the trigger forward to find the reset point. That's your next shot.

As for home defense and carry, there's something to be said for using the same handgun, or at least the same action type. In this case, you're using double action/single action in the P229, and a striker fired P365 (which is essentially single action all the time).

Make sure you get good training on both, and train with both, if you plan to use them defensively.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the 229 with a SRT trigger sear and be done. People who have/had the 228 keep them or wish they never got rid of them. If you want to be modern and up to date, save some money and get the 320, if you want a classic and spend a little more the 229 is the way to go.

sig nut', haulin' 3 sig 228's

Posts: 264 | Location: over lookin' beach and border | Registered: December 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post