SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    If a guy likes .357 mag revolvers and appreciates its abilities. But carries a 9 or .45 acp daily
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If a guy likes .357 mag revolvers and appreciates its abilities. But carries a 9 or .45 acp daily Login/Join 
posted
Is it normal ? or re dam diculas for him to desire a Coonan semi auto ?

I can't remember ever reading or hearing about anyone having one or carrying one.

Should I try to purchase one a and just not tell anyone that I have one ?

If you have pro's or con's about the . 357 caliber in the 1911 platform,

I'd be interested in reading them.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54799 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The grips too wide, I’ve never seen one run as reliably as I would personally want and they tend to just be a bit uncomfortable for my smaller hands, not to mention the cost of them.

As a fun gun they are awesome. As a defensive firearm? I mean if it’s all I had I wouldn’t lose a ton of sleep per say and I’d make it work but if I have ANY choice in the matter I am taking something more pedestrian or conversely just running a nice 7 shot L frame revolver.

Just my OPINION based on my limited experience with them. So grain of salt and all that.

Take care, shoot safe
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7731 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
One other thing. I like to have 6-10 mags for my pistols and while I haven’t done more then a cursory glance but that would make for both quite the scavenger hunt for me as well as cause melt marks on my credit card. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7731 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I agree with what cslinger said above. Also, my feelings about running rimmed cases in a box mag pretty much mirror my feelings about loading rimless cases in moon clips in a revolver. Can you make it work? Sure. Do I want to deal with it in real-world carry conditions? Absolutely not.

It would be a fun gun, but not something I'd purchase for practical use.

Posts: 8752 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Carry a .357SIG and come close enough to .357 mag performance to there not being a significant difference in terminal results.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15673 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
and higher capacity in a smaller package.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good points, keep'em coming.

I watched Hicock45 shooting on ,
I was amazed how much muzzle flip he experienced.

That in itself gave me pause for concern

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Posts: 54799 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I saw the owner of the company shoot one at a 3 gun fun shoot. His ran well and I wanted one for years. But now that it went out of business I wouldnt want one!!! I always wanted a cop 357 derringer as well!!

Posts: 7819 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I had the opportunity to shoot a couple magazines through a Coonan. I didn't know what to expect, but I was impressed. It was 100% reliable with the 158 grain ammo, less so, stove pipes, with the lighter 110 grain, both factory. Recoil seemed less than the "real" 10mm in my semi-autos. As an old 1911 guy, I thought the grip would feel too alien, but it didn't really. I have .357 revolvers and carbines, and wouldn't mind having a .357 Coonan at all...ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1568 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Exactly what I was going to recommend. I carry .357 SIG myself.

Or you could go all the way and carry 10mm. Cool

quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Carry a .357SIG and come close enough to .357 mag performance to there not being a significant difference in terminal results.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6084 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
10mm answers this question for a semiauto.

Posts: 11374 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will go check out this 10 mm business

posted Hide Post
There’s also the .38 Super in 1911s…

Posts: 273 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

I'm not so sure about that statement. But that aside, I agree with the previous poster that said a semi with magazines is superior for reloads. I think this is true for most of us, unless you think you can keep up with Jerry Miculek. FWIW I agree the 357 mag is probably the best "all around" caliber, as hard as that is to define. I have a metric ton of experience with it, and if I had to pick a cartridge based solely on performance without considering the platform itself or a specific purpose, I'd definitely agree. But that's not real life when it comes down to it unless you're literally a one gun person.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8745 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gearhounds: But that's not real life when it comes down to it unless you're literally a one gun person.

1 gun person? Does that exist?

Posts: 93 | Location: Southeast Georgia  | Registered: February 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
10mm does indeed solve this dilemma.
Especially with a magazine full of Underwood Ammo 200 or 220 grain heaters.

Posts: 3815 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post