SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anybody having leading issues with the P322?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody having leading issues with the P322? Login/Join 
posted
I was able to purchase mine a week ago, and have been working long shifts, so no time to get it out yet. New and unfired.

I have watched 2 videos showing very bad leading issues.

This guy uses a bore scope to demonstrate this issue in the video below:

https://youtu.be/HPVNdKsOloo

Wondering if any of you have had noticed this with your P322

I intended to stay with CCI products, hoping to avoid this problem.

R65

Posts: 6 | Registered: October 10, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only problem I'm having is finding a P322 in a store.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I left a standing order at my LGS about 6 weeks back.

I got the call last week that he had one arriving.

Was able to settle on $450 OTD total cost.

Just learned about the barrel leading today.

I guess I'll know after a few hundred rounds.

R65

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R65:
This guy uses a bore scope to demonstrate this issue in the video below:

That guy is a little difficult to listen to. As a Reader’s Digest summary, did he have leading problems with a variety of ammunition that he shot starting with a clean bore each time or is it possible that the problems only occurred with limited type(s)?

Some years ago I purchased an older (used, obviously) S&W model 17 (revolver chambered for 22 rimfire) and the first time I took it to the range I had severe leading problems. Unfortunately I didn’t record what the ammunition was, but it was no doubt some cheap bulk stuff. After a difficult time getting it clean and not shooting the gun for several years, I decided to try it with some higher quality stuff. At that point no more problems. Ammunition can definitely make a difference.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot around 1000rds through mine . No issues with leading so far. I have been using CCI Standard Velocity & Federal Auto Match. Good luck you are going to Love it a real blast to shoot.

Posts: 987 | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
100% Sea-Moose
posted Hide Post
Same as ShootingSigs2....I've had NO issues with mine at more than nearly a case and a half of ammo. It is a mainstay in my range bag and gets more trigger time than any of my other pistols because it's just so much fun to shoot!

Posts: 301 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This guy's as dumb as a three dollar bill...or a three legged chicken, whichever you prefer. So much for deductive logic and/or the scientific method. A waste of time trying to refute or confirm what he's saying. However, I offer you a personal anecdote. Take it for what's it worth...or not worth.

My shooting buddy and I both normally use CCI plated. Good quality and worth the price, especially with conversion units. Never a problem.

Got a good deal on Remington Thunderbolts and we both bought several bricks. One VERY hot summer day we went to a local range. Great place, several bays dedicated to 5-12 yard pistol. Lot of of steel targets if you wanted to shoot steel.

1) Played with our centerfires for a couple of hours. Lot of ammo used, had fun.

2) Both switched to our 1911 Ciener .22 conversions. Near midday now and was really hot. Used Thunderbolts exclusively.

3) Having so much fun with the steel, we couldn't load mags fast enough. Finally, we had each shot several hundred rounds. All from the holster and very quickly. Guns were getting VERY hot at this point. Had to be careful not to touch the slide for too long.

4) His pistol finally stopped working, mine was still OK. He disassembled his unit and noticed a lot of lead at the end of the chamber and front of barrel. Hmmm. He got a cleaning rod and tried to clean it. Couldn't even get the rod into the barrel, wall to wall lead. Bagged it.

5) Looked at mine next. Was still functioning, but could barely get a rod into the barrel. Impossible to clean in the field. Bagged it.

Took me a couple of hours at home to eventually clean mine. Cause of leading on both our guns was rather obvious. Cheap unprotected lead ammo, extreme ambient heat and nearly non-stop rapid firing. We DIDN'T bitch about Ciener barrels. Never had the urge to repeat the same circumstances using CCI Mini-Mags.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm confused? He fired shitty Remington 22 ammo and was surprised there was lead fouling in the barrel?

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
I guess I'm confused? He fired shitty Remington 22 ammo and was surprised there was lead fouling in the barrel?

hmm its a real head scratcher isn't it..

Posts: 18013 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:

hmm its a real head scratcher isn't it..

Yeah, no kidding. LOL

Adding in a few pics from after my 1st range trip with mine, which I just took a minute ago prior to posting this reply (the guns have been sitting in my safe uncleaned for several weeks since our first range trip.)

I haven't cleaned either of my 322's since my range trip. Here's a quick pic of the front of the barrel. It's hard to see, but there is very little fouling and my son and I fired 400 total rounds between (2) 322's. We used Browning copper jacketed hollow points (not some shitty Remington green box ammo.) Big Grin

The Q-Tip was a quick swab of the end of each barrel (one end from each side of the Q-Tip for each 322.)

Here is my post talking about our first range trip a few weeks ago.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/6530021394

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to get out with this, this weekend.

I have a fabulous selection of very nice Ammo.

I will not run crap ammo, or regular lead tip ammo

Only intend to run cooper CCI or Federal through this

And I just picked up a holosun Vulcan acss in green.

But that may go on the new Walther WMP Smile

R65

posted Hide Post
I may be new here but its not my first rodeo. Fired 200 rounds ( New gun) today and had similar leading issues. Probably caused by the Ely Ammo which was only 50 rounds. All the rest was CCI CPHP>

Posts: 85 | Location: NW of Tampa Fl | Registered: August 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
2Krds of many types of ammo fired, no leading issues. At one point I probably went 1Krds without cleaning it (was filthy) and running a little slow.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to thank you guys for the information. I'm shopping for one of these 22s, and had heard rumors of leading issues. I'm a CCI devotee myself so I feel confident it won't be an issue. Thx

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I have not bothered to watch an youtubers commentaries.

I have had mine for more than two and a half months now. It has been to the range 5 or 6 times and we have put over three thousand rounds of assorted ammunition through it.

Wile I can not remember everything we shot Federal Automatch, American Eagle subsonic, Fiochi subsonic, CCI mini Mags, Federal bulk box bargain stuff, CCI red/white/blue, Winchester yellow box bargain, Remington Spitfire, Fiochi high velocity, Eley Force and at least half a dozen others.

Subsonic ammunition was all fired with suppressors (2 different ones).

We shot mostly paper, but did do some reactive steel as well as some pins. I know 22LR does not have enough power for pins, we were kind of spinning them on the table. More of an accuracy thing than one of power

It has only been cleaned twice. When it arrived and again after the 2nd range visit totaling more than a thousand rounds of ammunition at that time. It has not been cleaned since.

There have been no stumbles with any brand. Only one failure to fire on the first hammer strike but I can't recall the brand. No excessive leading.

I am VERY impressed with this rimfire as are my shooting buddies who have now bought two more P322s for themselves.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5176 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased my P322 in may and had to wait for it to make the Maryland Handgun Roster… finally on July 31st I was able to do paperwork and pick it up a week later. I was worried about the same thing, I’ve watched numerous videos on you tube with people having leading issues after as little as 100 rounds. I mag dumped 100 rounds of Winchester super x, 50 rounds of CCI Stingers and 300 rounds of federal ammo match. I had a few FTF with the super x, a lot of FTF with the stingers. Most of the stingers wouldn’t fire the second time either. So not sure if they were a bad batch or the p322 wasn’t capable of striking the casing hard enough. The ammo match asides from being a bit Smokey fired fantastic. No jambs and no leading when I was done. Pulled a bore snake through twice and the barrel looked good as new!

Anyone have a favorite Red dot optic for the p322? I have a Romeo1pro on my 320AXG pro and love it but the Romeo zero pro doesn’t seem to be as well liked.

Posts: 3 | Location: Middle River MD | Registered: May 02, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post