SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W M&P - the “Old” M&P, That Is…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W M&P - the “Old” M&P, That Is… Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
I know there’s a lot of revolverese spoken amongst the SIGforum collective, thus I figured some of you might get a kick out of this.

This is a 2-inch-barreled “pre-Model 10” M&P. Grips are period-correct but don’t match to the gun serial number-wise, though all other s/n points do. The grip adapter is, I believe, a more modern BK Grips version. The barrel shows some finish-wear but, otherwise, the gun seems to have a nice, gently-time-worn patina (if I’m not mis-applying that word here) to it similar to that displayed by a K-22 I own from the same year.

I’ve got an online acquaintance studying under holster-maker C. Rusty Sherrick who is going to craft a simple belt rig for this gun. I feel like I should possibly be fedora-shopping while I’m at it haha…

The gun came with a Roy Jinks letter addressed to a prior owner some years back describing the gun officially as a “Smith & Wesson .38 Military & Police, Long Action Variation, caliber .38 S&W Special” that shipped from the factory in late 1947 to a dealer on the West Coast.

Lord willing, range-time to come soon!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Nice roscoe

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
They sure don't make 'em like they used to.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
You find the best stuff! Seriously, that is one beautiful revolver! Congrats on the acquisition...looking forward to a range report!

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I'll bet that one could tell a few stories.

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great old revolver! Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I’ve let a lot of my older S&W revolvers move on into other collector’s hands. Enjoy.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all - indeed, I’d love to know where this gun has been over the years!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

posted Hide Post
There is an outfit online that has lots of stuff on vintage snubs:
www.SnubNoir.com
They want you to subscribe (I havent yet, but might) but you can look it over free.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen the 2" square butt called the "Desk Sergeant's Gun."
Looks like a patrolman's 4,5,6" in the holster, but doesn't bump the seat of his desk chair.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
There is an outfit online that has lots of stuff on vintage snubs:
www.SnubNoir.com
They want you to subscribe (I havent yet, but might) but you can look it over free.

Hey, thank you! I was part of what I think was their predecessor site / page called “I’m With Roscoe.” There was some sort of falling-out between the principals there, resulting in the creation of Snub Noir and another entity called “The Snub Gun Study Group” - I’m not sure that the latter is still active. I do need to revisit Snub Noir, for sure.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
I have seen the 2" square butt called the "Desk Sergeant's Gun."
Looks like a patrolman's 4,5,6" in the holster, but doesn't bump the seat of his desk chair.

Oh, nice! I could see that!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
You find the best stuff! Seriously, that is one beautiful revolver! Congrats on the acquisition...looking forward to a range report!

Thank you! While he’s not my sole source, Karl Beining / KGB Customs, one of the members over on the 1911 Addicts site, is responsible for this one and several others over time.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice gun, indeed.

That finish wear may be a little more than a "patina," but it is reasonable for a gun that was carried and used for many years. A little finish wear, but it looks like it was not abused and is mechanically sound.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Many thanks, all - this one’s been to the range twice now and did quite well. I ran 2- and 3-shot drills from low-ready at 7 yards with reloads (only) from concealment. I have what I believe will be a nice little belt-slide style holster inbound but in the meantime reloaded from Milt Sparks speed-strip pouches and Barranti 2x2x2 ammo carriers.

I found myself shooting a little high with this gun; I suspect as a result of getting dialed-in to the fixed-sight setup on the gun. By the second session, I was holding the rounds on-track a bit better.

Also had a little fun posing the gun with some items - not all are historically “correct” but they (to me) provided a nice backdrop for the gun.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm not a revolver guy but I sure can appreciate what beautiful pieces of machinery some of them are. Very nice Roscoe.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Really, really nice piece. The lack of cylinder drag marks seems to indicate that it wasn't shot much.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Victory Model, the quality difference between that and my more modern 642 was truly eye-opening.

They just don't make them like they used to.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Love the pics.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all! While I’m no expert by any stretch, the gun does appear to have been relatively lightly-used / seldom-shot.

My buddy from another forum offered to craft a holster for me on this one; it has arrived and suits the gun nicely, to me. Keeps it riding high and close. I’m pestering him for some sort of matching spare ammo pouch now haha…