SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta Ships Last M9 to U.S. Military
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta Ships Last M9 to U.S. Military Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
“Last week marked an end of an era for Beretta USA,” the company posted on Sept. 7. “The Beretta USA team in Gallatin, TN, packed and shipped the last Beretta M9 pistol for the U.S. Armed Forces contract. Thank you to every Beretta USA team member who, over the last 36 years, has proudly manufactured the M9, and especially to all our brave servicewomen and men who have carried the M9 in their service to the United States of America.”

I have a great love for the M9. It was the first centerfire handgun I shot when I joined the Marines. I still trust the big Beretta for home protection, although in the 92A1 flavor. It has always been reliable for me, accurate, and easy to shoot. I currently own four, a commercial M9, a 92A1, a 92G, and a beautiful 1981 92SB.

It's the end of an era, but the Beretta will be remembered fondly.

https://www.shootingillustrate...-m9-to-u-s-military/

https://www.guns.com/news/2021...retta-leaves-factory

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Just like you, the M9 was the first semi-automatic centerfire pistol I ever shot, and also courtesy of the USMC. It was the second pistol I ever bought myself and the first 9mm.

I bought a M17 shortly after the announcement was made that Sig won the new contract and it’s cool (and in many ways more practical) but I still enjoy the old 92fs.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
From the same announcement you can see the M9A4 is the optics ready version.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
From the same announcement you can see the M9A4 is the optics ready version.

Well shit, I was planning on picking up a 92x soon but I might have to look for one of these instead!

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I trust they'll be held in depot for contigencies. Just wondering; which unit will receive the last one? Pulled my M9A1 out for a little wipe down.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Berettas are nice pistols.

I bought one in 1986 on the economy while stationed in San Vito dei Normanni (Brindisi was the big closest city), albeit not in 9mm due to Italian laws.

Was stolen from my household goods shipment while transferring state-side and though I was reimbursed for the loss, to this day have never replaced it. Need to reconcile that I think.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1924 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
I trust they'll be held in depot for contigencies. Just wondering; which unit will receive the last one? Pulled my M9A1 out for a little wipe down.

M9s will be in use for several years. The M9 was adopted in 1986 and did not fully replace the previous mix of 1911s and .38 revolvers until the mid 1990s.

Once the transition is complete, those M9s that are worth rebuilding will be rebuilt and become reserve weapons. The good news is that should free up more 1911s from the reserves for CMP sales.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
No one really seemed all that enamored of the Beretta when it was adopted. A 36 year run is pretty damned impressive.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Well that reaction was predictable considering the JMB icon the M9 was replacing. But the Beretta served the nation well despite the shadow of .45ACP and the M1911, though I do have a couple of ex-Marine friends who hated theirs (they do admit that theirs were very worn by the time they got them, and they also confessed that they've liked shooting my 92s).

-MG

Posts: 1924 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
...the optics ready version.
Oh, that's just wrong

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Get ready for the CMP surplus sale... in 2086.

Posts: 21044 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:

M9s will be in use for several years. The M9 was adopted in 1986 and did not fully replace the previous mix of 1911s and .38 revolvers until the mid 1990s.

Once the transition is complete, those M9s that are worth rebuilding will be rebuilt and become reserve weapons. The good news is that should free up more 1911s from the reserves for CMP sales.

Exactly, HCM. I was in the Reserves until '98. It was late '94 before my unit received M9s. The Guard units may have received the M9 even later.

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I joined my guard unit in early 2000. They got their M9’s in the 1996-1998 timeframe. Sorry the M9 is no longer the primary sidearm.

Posts: 3126 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very nice pistols no doubt.

IMO the P226 / P228 would have been better.

in the end -- times have changed with the advent of the polymer framed striker fired pistol.

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The last M9 Uncle ever let me borrow.

I understand the nostalgia for the 1911. I had a few great uncles and grand dads that sang it's praises. The M9 is my pistol. From the first one I ever got issued to the last one it never failed me. A few decades from now I expect the kids to say the same thing about the M18.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
That's a nice memento!

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Into the dust bins of U.S. military issued pistols eh?

Posts: 13666 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was issued the S&W M&P 38 when I joined the USAF. Could not hit the broad side of a barn with it. I only had it a few months before we swapped over to the Beretta's. Huge improvement and we all got to be like Martin Riggs !

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Into the dust bins of U.S. military issued pistols eh?

Not so sure about "dust bins". I was issued a U.S. Navy Victory model .38 in Vietnam. An Air Cavalry unit. I wasn't pleased.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I remember my issued one fondly, brand new at the time during the roll out.

I love 1911s the most, but my duty one was a janky rattle trap. It was a nice change.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post