SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I am considering this one tomorrow, Walther P88
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am considering this one tomorrow, Walther P88 Login/Join 
posted
A friend stopped by for dinner and asked if I would be interested. We will do the deal tomorrow at the gun store he works at.
The Box

IMG]https://pbase.com/dsgrouse/image/172085446.jpg[/IMG]
The target

The gun

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I was a fan, until I owned one. One of the worst grips I've ever felt on a pistol.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, low-production postwar Walther 9mm pistols are quite collectible. The P88 certainly qualifies as low production- 9,894 pistols manufactured from 1987 to 1992. Serial production began at 001001, so that example is number 1531 produced.

The extra magazine certainly sweetens the deal. If you buy it and it's unfired, I'd keep it that way. I'm a huge fan of postwar Walther 9mm pistols and the P88 has a certain mystique about it. I don't think you would regret buying it.

Posts: 107601 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it has been fired and carried a bit. It is well taken care of it seems.

I am excited, a good P88 has been on my list for a long while. The P5 is also on the list.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Walther produced 104,303 P5s. They are far easier to find than P88s.

posted Hide Post
The p5 will have to wait for a while. I have a p226 SSE I am picking up next week. I have missed mine since selling it back in 2013.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you want one of the coolest pistols ever made, skip the P5 and get a P5 Compact. Very low production- 5,569 pistols. I paid 750 bucks for mine in 1995. Prices now are in Colt Python range- 2500 bucks or so. They are indescribably cool pistols. If you hold one in your hand, you'll want it.

P38-Ks and P88 Compacts are the same way- low production and now very pricey.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
If you want one of the coolest pistols ever made, skip the P5 and get a P5 Compact. Very low production- 5,569 pistols. I paid 750 bucks for mine in 1995. Prices now are in Colt Python range- 2500 bucks or so. They are indescribably cool pistols. If you hold one in your hand, you'll want it.

Sigh. I sold a P5 compact many years back. I made quite a bit on it but had I known the values would sky rocket as they have I would have kept it. I have a P5 that I actually prefer to the compact to be honest.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I will keep that in mind. It depends on what I find. I have only seen one p5, and never a p5 compact. I have seen a couple of p88 compacts.

I will keep my eyes open.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, I've kept mine, but it wasn't on speculation. I just love the thing. The P5C absolutely oozes cool.

Oddly enough, the P5C showed up in an American TV series; Walker, Texas Ranger of all things. Clarence Gilyard carried it. IMFDB is quite accurate in its listing of firearms used in film and TV but they missed this one. They list Gilyard's pistol as a P5, but it's a P5C big as life.

A P5C also shows up in The Bourne Identity

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Totally agree with para about the P5C cool factor, not just from look but also handling standpoint. That's the only classic Walther I should have kept, but oh well. $2500 for one these days, if you're lucky.

ETA: Got to get a P5C pic in for its coolness. Cool This is a 1992 (KC proofed date) Interarms import one. Grips are by grips4u.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I was a fan, until I owned one. One of the worst grips I've ever felt on a pistol.

Too large ? Or boxy ?

I've only handled one P88, it seemed to fit my hand.

But holding a pistol and firing one are two different things. A Polish Radom P83 doesn't fit my hands at all.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
I have been a longtime fan of the P88. Mine is exceptionally accurate with my sivertip hand loads.

I have had mine for 28 years and just do not think of parting with it. As you can see from the picture, I put the Nills grips on mine.

As to magazines, It is the same body as the SIG P226, you just need to cut a new notch for the mag catch. Once I discovered that, I converted a dozen magazines and set them with the firearm. Big Grin

Good luck on acquiring one tomorrow

quote:
Oddly enough, the P5C showed up in an American TV series; Walker, Texas Ranger of all things. Clarence Gilyard carried it. IMFDB is quite accurate in its listing of firearms used in film and TV but they missed this one. They list Gilyard's pistol as a P5, but it's a P5C big as life.

I do not watch Walker, but recent TV schedules have changed and I saw that P5c as I was changing channels. It caught me by surprise. I even watched the episode for a bit

I have a P5 and have been keeping a lookout for a reasonably priced P5c, obviously I am still waiting.

The good thing about my P5 is that it came with 6 magazines, the bad side it came wearing Hogue rubber grips. One day I will find something better for it

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
I have a P5 and have been keeping a lookout for a reasonably priced P5c, obviously I am still waiting.
That ship has sailed.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Too large ? Or boxy ?

Felt like I was holding a brick. Even the boxy FNP-45 felt better.

Q

Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I own serial no. 1298, I like the way the P88 feels and handles to me. I agree that the old school Walthers are cool guns.

I do not shoot my P88 anymore due to the scarcity of parts if it should break and the fact the my SIG Sauer P226 Legion and Beretta 92X are better pistols in my opinion.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Nice gun. I picked one up years ago for a song and sold it many years later fro a big profit. I liked the P5 because it ejected to the left. Good luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: photohause,

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:

I completely agree that the P5 Compact is uber cool:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...060094454#7060094454

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
A friend stopped by for dinner and asked if I would be interested. We will do the deal tomorrow at the gun store he works at.

The Box

The target

The gun

Early US import. Round slide top with tall front an rear sights. Both the front and rear sights are moveable and replaceable. Later US imports had a groove machined into the slide top and the front sight was machined as part of the slide itself. That front sight was not moveable nor replaceable. Both front and rear sights were short. Way back when these pistols were first released, I actually saw one in Germany that had a serial number that began with "88". Also it's grip frame front strap appeared to extend further towards the front of the slide.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Back when those were in production there was a gun writer who was quite high on them. So without ever handling a P88, I ordered one. Once I received it, I tried to like it, but soon realized the large blocky grip was not for me. Beautifully made, but I soon sold it without ever firing it. Apparently I was not the only P88 owner to have an issue with the P88 grip configuration...

I've read the P88C had a differently shaped grip frame that addressed the issue, but I never came across a compact version to handle. I'd learned my lesson, and was not about to order a P88C without handling one firstWink

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post