SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I am considering this one tomorrow, Walther P88
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am considering this one tomorrow, Walther P88 Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That's like saying Hyundai makes a low cost alternative to Porsche.

Posts: 107597 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Hahaha. Low cost is right. Every Bersa someone has brought me to fix is usually rusted and not worth fixing.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Every Bersa I handled at gun shows years ago felt cheap. One brand new Thunder 9 had its safety fall off while I was manipulating it. Made in Argentina? No thanks.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy with a bersa, he likes the cheapies and odd ducks.

I am quite happy with my pistol.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
There's one at my local gun store.

It's pricey, though. However there's a P7 below it someone is wanting $3k for. Eek

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
given the prices i have seen, that's not terrible. More than I can spend, but not terrible.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Here's mine. A quick snap, the last time I had it out of my safe deposit box for cleaning. Very late production, proofed 1991. Of the 9894 produced, this is number 9096. The pistol is ANIB w/all and will remain that way for as long as I own it.

Of the 9894 produced do you know, or have an idea, how many came to the U.S.?

This thread made me get mine out. Smile

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After I read the initial comment about the P5 Compact I said to myself "I bet 12131 has one of those". Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Of the 9894 produced do you know, or have an idea, how many came to the U.S.?
No. The importer for the P88 was Interarms, which is now defunct. Walther knows the number, of course, but the company is notorious for being reluctant to release production numbers and other data. Uncle Sam knows, and those papers for importation of the pistol reside in some massive archive in DC, like the one we see at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

A couple of things: Then, as now, the United States was/is the largest importer of firearms in the world, by far.

And, per Dieter Marschall, "The P88 pistol was only used as a service pistol by some special forces of the German 'Bundesgrenzschutz' (BGS)."

As best as I can determine Interarms would import new firearms into the US in lots of anywhere between 200 and 2000. If forced to guess, I'd say over the roughly five years of P88 production, Interarms imported perhaps 3000 or so. That's just a pure guess, though.

It's nice to see all the P88s coming out of the woodwork. When you own an esoteric pistol like this, it's easy to begin to believe that practically no one else around owns one.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
No. The importer for the P88 was Interarms, which is now defunct. Walther knows the number, of course, but the company is notorious for being reluctant to release production numbers and other data.

OK. I had two, I believe the other serial was in the 4,000 range, but sold it.

quote:
A couple of things: Then, as now, the United States was/is the largest importer of firearms in the world, by far.

And, per Dieter Marschall, "The P88 pistol was only used as a service pistol by some special forces of the German 'Bundesgrenzschutz' (BGS)."

As best as I can determine Interarms would import new firearms into the US in lots of anywhere between 200 and 2000. If forced to guess, I'd say over the roughly five years of P88 production, Interarms imported perhaps 3000 or so. That's just a pure guess, though.

OK so around 30% of production, the rest selling mostly in Europe I'd imagine.

quote:
It's nice to see all the P88s coming out of the woodwork. When you own an esoteric pistol like this, it's easy to begin to believe that practically no one else around owns one.

It really is and I bet other than maybe a Walther forum more are owned by members here than on any other forum.

Years back when I was just becoming interested in pistols a gun enthusiast friend suggested three I should have; P210, HK P7, and Walther P88. It wasn't long after that when P88's came up in a thread here (may have been started by you Para) and after reading owners impressions along with all the pictures I started looking.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I believe Earl's Repair Service also imported a very small number of P88s.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I purchased the P88 I have now used, from a person in Massachusetts. He said he would have it inspected then shipped through "Earl's", and I must say it arrived spotless, well lubed, and sealed in a plastic bag within the box.
Maybe be the same Earl?

186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
The P5 and P5C are very cool looking pistols. I wonder if Sig made the 230 and 232 using that design. They are very similar.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's my cooler than shit P5C. The same low quality quick pic as with my P88 pictured in this thread, when it was out of my safe deposit box for cleaning. Covered with oil in the pic. Believe me, this doesn't do this beautiful handgun justice.

I actually haven't seen this pistol in four years. I know that may sound odd, especially to younger guys. It's just too precious of a possession to keep it in the house. I felt that way about it even before the prices on these pistols became obscene. It's time for me to go pull it out for a few days, maybe take it to the range. Unlike my P88, this one's been fired. The only thing I don't like about it is I wish the DA trigger pull gave a bit more feedback.

Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
P88 is a nice gun, but I agree with 12131, sold it.
Had a P5c, sold it to my brother, so I can still see and shoot it whenever I want.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive added the p5 and p5c to my wish list.

Para thanks for sharing

posted Hide Post
Yup on the P5C ... too nice to ever sell. Found one NIB 15 years back ... Will leave it to my son.

Want a P88 bad.. but in Massachusetts they are scarce.

My understanding is the P88 variant with dovetailed front sights are best. True ??

Posts: 344 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post