SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I'm confused. Need P365 info
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm confused. Need P365 info Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted
So I want to upgrade my carry gun (after a downgrade from a G27 to a S&W shield 9mm).

I have heard great things about the P365 and started looking at a LGS the other day.

Problem is, there seem to be a ton of different models and a HUGE price range from 400 to 900 dollars. Different sizes, sights, rails, etc.

I admittedly haven't had nearly the time to browse here as much as i would like, nor to look around on the internet and wade through all the ads.

So help me out.

What are the different models out now. What are the differences?

I love my G27 but it's a bit too wide. I love the shield but the trigger isn't NEARLY as good.

Help a brother out and give me the cliff's notes version of the P365 and the various options.

Then I can blame you all when I spend money on one....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
https://www.sigsauer.com/firearms/pistols/p365.html

All current variants. The "Nitron Micro-Compact" is the original and my favorite. Everything else is derived from it. Enjoy! Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26401 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
https://www.sigsauer.com/firearms/pistols/p365.html

All current variants. The "Nitron Micro-Compact" is the original and my favorite. Everything else is derived from it. Enjoy! Big Grin

Yeah. That's my point. There are a LOT of different models. And a lot of different prices. While at the LGS this past weekend, I saw 5 of them, and prices ranged from 449.99 up to 899.99.

Thanks for the link, I'll start there. Any experiences and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks Q.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'll start with a couple of variants that I've owned.

Original: 3.1-inch barrel, 10-rd capcity mags (flush fit and pinky extension). This is the most concealable of all variants. Easy pocket carried. Aftermarket factory 12 and 15 rounders available. No optic cutout. Can be had with or without manual safety.

The SAS has the same dimensions and concealability but snag free due to the design. Nothing protruding that can snag on clothing, but the bull's eyes flush-with-slide sight will take some getting used to. The original SAS had the ridiculous ported barrel/slide that SIG thankfully decided to eventually do away with. I hated the sight and the porting, so I eventually sold it.

As to shooting, these little guns are remarkably controllable, even with +P.

The other models, except the plain 365 in .380, will have either longer grip or slide, or both.

Q

Posts: 26401 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either an XL or a standard with an XL grip installed. I recently put an XL Wilson combat grip on my standard 365 and really like it with a flush mount 12rd mag.

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I get a lot of initial information from YouTube videos just to get a baseline. It's quick and I don't have to wait for someone to read my post and decide to answer. I just did a search on P365 differences and found this video from Blade-Tech Holsters. Only really compares the P365 and P365XL and mentions the P365X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BUfNxOfCaI

Posts: 3384 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably the three to look at are the regular 365, the 365X, or the 365XL.

The X and XL have a longer trip and would default to the 12 round magazine. The standard 365 would accept the 12 round magazine with an (included) baseplate with sleeve. The XL also has a longer slide.

The X and XL come factory optics cut and accept optics that work with the Shield RMS cut, including the Holosun 407k/507k.

My 365 is a standard model with the X grip module that I put together before the 365X existed.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I avoided the 365 during the teething problems and stuck with the Glock 43 or 43x for my micro desires.

Earlier this year, my wife won a P365XL during a raffle and started the fun. The XL has a longer grip, 12 round mag standard, and a 3.7 inch barrel.

Next I bought a Custom shop FCU (with flat trigger like the XL has) and the FrankenSig action ensued. Bought a 365X slide and internals (3.1 inch barrel) and a standard 365 grip frame. The standard grip frame takes 10 round mags, 12 round mags (come with a grip sleeve to fit the standard 365 and a flat base plate to fit the XL grip module) and can take the extended 15 round mags (which come with grip sleeves allowing for use either the standard 365 or the XL.) Also installed the Hogue beavertail grip sleeve which significantly improved the grip feel for me. Shot this well with the 12 rounders, but the grip still felt too small length-wise for me with the 10-round, even with the pinky extension. Like all the macros, are a bit snappier than a full or compact size pistol, but manageable.

Shortly after, bought an XL grip module to make a 365X, along with the Hogue grip sleeve again. Found this to be perfection for me. I wear a size large glove and have non-bratwurst digits. I then procured an additional XL slide and internals. I like this configuration the best, I shoot it better, not sure if I can feel a difference in recoil impulse or not.

The wife has issues with racking her XL slide, so I found a P365 .380 complete slide assembly on Gunbroker to use since Sig said the 9mm and .380 share a common FCU and grips. Also procured the .380 magazines. It is definitely easier to rack the slide and the recoil impulse is significantly reduced. My wife has not shot it yet, but am sure she will be pleased. The only issues I had was when trying to use the 9mm magazines with the .380 slide, had a couple of failures to feed.

I cannot speak about using any RDS models since I don't use any such marital aids for my shooting pleasure yet, although I have the ability to mount them on every 365type slide I have.

Posts: 977 | Location: Upstate South Carolina | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Kev,

You make big SGT money. Buy all of them, shoot a box out of each, keep one and karma the rest.

I'd like to be #1 for that karma. Big Grin

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Get the original one and then upgrade to the Wilson Combat frame. It’s an amazing set up and disappears when carrying. I switched from the Glock 43. Smaller and 4 more rounds..

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I love the shield but the trigger isn't NEARLY as good.

You need to try out the Shield Plus. It has the best trigger of all the M&Ps, and it's backwards compatible w/ Shield 1.0 & 2.0 holsters. On top of that, they're selling at bargain prices right now. I've been seeing plenty of places selling the base model with or w/o thumb safety for $399.99. Some places have (or had) the bugout package w/ 5 mags & first-aid kit for not much more than that (~$450).

I own & like both the basic P365 and Shield Plus, so I'm not recommending the Shield Plus over the P365; just saying the Shield Plus shouldn't be overlooked.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two, a SAS and XL. I like both and they each have a place in the carry rotation. A lot of folks don't like the SAS and I get why. The sights take practice to get used to and frankly, it is not as precise as normal sights past about 15 yards. It is not as much fun to shoot at the range and is a little more difficult to take apart for cleaning due to the smooth/melted controls. The SAS is an outstanding replacement for a S&W J frame revolver for back-up or pocket carry. It is about the same size as my 642 with twice as many (more powerful) rounds and a much faster reload.

The XL version is an excellent replacement for a full size gun such as a 320 or 229. Smaller. lighter, easier to carry. 12 round flush fit mags or 15 round extended mags, a great option if you are carrying in a belt or shoulder holster.

I do not have any experience with the 380 version or the new Macro version.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just go with the base model and the Wilson grip. Use it as a test bed and sell it if you want a variant.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say the best advice if you aren’t positive which version you really want is to buy the cheapest complete gun you can. At that point you can use the FCU to build up the smallest 365 to the biggest.

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Kevin, reach out in case you want to shoot my P365. I have the original version thereof.

Posts: 3725 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I found this cool site called Handgun Hero. The site has the ability to compare 2 handguns side by side, and you can stack 1 on top of another to compare sizes.

Handgun Hero P365 Vs. P365XL

Side by side:

Stacked on top of each other (P365XL in back, P365 in front)

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything is confusing nowadays. Rather than repeat the good info already posted, I'll approach it from the carry mode perspective. Let me simplify:

1) I see no need to spend extra money on the expensive variants. Stay with the P365, X and XL variants.
2) If you want to pocket carry, get the base P365. You can use either 10 or 12 round mags.
3) If you want to holster carry, get the bigger X (grip) or XL (grip & barrel) variants.

Optionally, there are the Wilson Combat grip frame modules. Personal preference. I have one for my P320C and find it an improvement. Mileage may vary. In order to keep this short, I won't get into all the mix-n-match Tinker Toy possibilities.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My take:

If you’re looking to pocket carry, go with the original. I carry the original P365 in a Versacarry. I have a DeSantis Nemesis for it, but I didn’t like the softness to it.

If you’re looking to belt carry, get a proper double stack pistol. For me, that’s currently a P320 Carry (17+1 rounds).

If you have tiny little hands that can’t hold a double stack, I don’t know what to tell you, call the Detroit Lions, maybe you can take Goff’s place.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of good advice already. My 2 cents:

I started with the plain 365. A good place to start. Added the X slide cause my eyes aren’t what they used to be.
Added a SAS slide to try it, and if you’ve ever trained with an occluded optic, you use the same sight picture, so I had no trouble getting used to it, but it’s not for precision, just combat.
Bought a second frame to have 2 guns.
Later switched both grips to the Wilson P365 ones, they are that good.
Added a Mcarbo flat trigger to one, still deciding if I like it.

Best advice I can give is start with a 365, any 365. You can always make it bigger if you want.

Posts: 276 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
The one thing you need to keep in mind is you're buying the FCU which can be married to serval configurations. I bought a p365XL, then picked up a complete P365 upper. So I have the option of the original XL, and faux P365X sans the optic cut out. This ladder configuration is what I carry. I still can't get my head around carrying a pistol with an optic on it.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post