SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My Ruger MkII fell apart. UPDATE Page 2: Fixed!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Ruger MkII fell apart. UPDATE Page 2: Fixed! Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I'm confident if you were to purchase the $45 pre-paid shipping label, Ruger would replace your fractured 2-pice bolt under their "non-warranty". The 2-piece stainless steel bolt design is notorious for failing. In fact, if I'm not mistaken Ruger once offered a free upgrade program for this particular part. Of course, the MK II has been out of production since ~2005 so you would most certainly receive a current generation bolt. You may also wish to check Wirthwein Guns. They stock an ever rotating inventory of many Ruger MK series take off parts. Perhaps you could score a nice, period correct MK II 1-piece stainless bolt. Good luck.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On a more positive note I have to say that blued bolt actually looks quite good on your stainless steel gun. In your place I would just all it good.

PS, as an Engineer I will also say that original bolt was a piss poor design. If welding that piece in place is essential to the design a much better choice would have been a light press fit and using brazing paste in the original fitup and then furnace brazing that assembly together.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5650 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience with Kahr Arms a few years back. My slide stop broke off at the range - I found the broken piece and it looked like MIM failure. I called Kahr Arms CS and they were happy to sell me a new one for $24 plus shipping.

Kind of turned me off to Kahr and MIM parts...

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If nothing else, you now have an excuse to get a new bolt from Volquartsen. Wink

Posts: 9157 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Volqurtsen Clearance bolt for $45. Upgraded extractor and recoil spring.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:

Now why'd you have to go and show me that? Big Grin

Posts: 8576 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:

Now why'd you have to go and show me that? Big Grin

Yeah, really! Between us, Missus' 3-5-7 & I have six MKII's, including a first-year MK678 that's had about a ZILLION rounds thru it--Well, we've got a couple of those VQ-improved Bolts on the way now--You know, "Just In Case"... Smile

Posts: 645 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work at a small gun shop/range and had a fella bring in his blued Ruger Security Six 357 which had the forcing cone crack. Since he is a good customer, I offered to call Ruger and see what they could do. They had me ship it back in (our cost) and called a few weeks later. They couldn’t fix it, and the gun was out of production, but would replace it with a brand new GP100 stainless for a fee of $88. The guy was only too happy to give me a check.
The “fix” Ruger offered seems reasonable to me both for this guy and the OP. The gun industry stands behind their products, generally.
Call Ford/Chevy/Honda and tell them you had a problem with your 25 years old car and see what they do for you.

Posts: 276 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the other hand, name another product you expect the manufacturer to repair free after 37 years.

Posts: 17146 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
On the other hand, name another product you expect the manufacturer to repair free after 37 years.

I agree. I don't expect anything for free. (It would have been more "professional" to have kept the old parts in stock until they sold them out.) But I do expect them to be as helpful as possible.

In my case, Ruger sold all the old parts to an outside vendor and then refused to give me their name..... poor form. imo

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I've heard their CS touted to be on par with the likes of Dillon or RCBS

Also ships that have long since sailed.

quote:
Originally posted by mike28w: Ruger sold all the old parts to an outside vendor and then refused to give me their name.....

They might not have sold them to a parts seller, they may have sold them to someone like Volquartsen or TacSol to build whole guns.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FP2000H
posted Hide Post
You got mad at Ruger because they wouldn’t send you a part for free that you broke on an almost 40 year old gun? Lol

#COMMUNISTMANBAD

Posts: 1744 | Location: TX | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
To get a perspective:

Kimber sent me an extractor (at no cost) for my 1911. It was missing when I bought the gun second hand.

I don't think they have been making .17 caliber 1911s for a while, but one for a 22lr works fine.

It is good to have a manufacturer stand behind their product, even if it comes from a pawn shop.

Posts: 9157 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FP2000H:
You got mad at Ruger because they wouldn’t send you a part for free that you broke on an almost 40 year old gun? Lol

Not really mad, just kind of disappointed. A lifetime warranty used to be a thing. Some companies had it in writing, others didn't but still operated as if they did. Ruger used to be one of those companies...if you research the exact issue I had, you'll see numerous situations posted on forums where Ruger stepped up and replaced the part for free. Apparently they are choosing not to do that anymore, despite having a workable part in stock.

They don't have a written warranty, it's their choice to handle it however they want. I don't contest that. I'm just sharing my experience so that others can read and know what they should probably expect should they encounter a similar situation. I do the same when I get good service from a company...honest feedback is how we stay informed.

Posts: 8576 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beretta sent me a brand new 92FS after one of my very old, bought used Cougars cracked. Free across the board not even shipping.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
My MKII Target is 30 years old. It's a jewel. Just simply the most accurate .22 semi-automatic I own and I own a bunch. If something broke I wouldn't expect the company to repair it free.

Posts: 10 | Registered: November 07, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the rabbit hole. I was not aware of this issue. My only MKII from 1983 is tapered and single piece bolt as well as my MKII 22/45s.
I suppose the choice is sourcing a new bolt, JB weld, or a cheap Harbor Freight welder? Wink

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My son took the bolt to work with him today, and my buddy (son's boss), Tig welded it back together. Almost as good as new, and we put 6 mags through it with no hickups...I'm gonna call it good! Smile

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Cool!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post