SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone Have The S&W M&P EZ9?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Have The S&W M&P EZ9? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I bought one of these from an FFL member here on a whim, sight unseen and picked it up from my FFL yesterday.

WOW, that slide really IS easy to rack! Eek It's almost scary how easy that slides back especially after handling one of my Kahrs which have extremely stiff slides.

I'm impressed at the build quality and even the smell, smells like it's got a good dose of gun oil in it already.

It's smaller than I had imagined for some reason but still feels great in my hands and I think my wife (who it's really for as a house gun) will love it.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have one. Bought it originally for my wife (who prefers to use a Sig P365XL) and plan to give it to my adult daughter.

It’s a nice pistol, but it’s only a single stack. 8 rounds isn’t enough for more than a pistol you keep in the nightstand in case. I’m also not a fan of the grip safety. The interesting thing is the gun isn’t striker fired. It’s actually a hammer fired pistol with an internal hammer.

So reality is it’s got more in common with a 1911 than with a P365.

Posts: 39 | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll clarify…a single stack pistol isn’t enough for me. I know many people carry 1911s and other single stack pistols and are very happy. Not meaning to say their choice is wrong.

Posts: 39 | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 9EZ is easy, the 380 however, is much easier.
The 9mm has a 9 lb pull weight, where the 380 only has a 4.5 lb pull weight.

Correction;

quote:
the .380 EZ came in at 9 lbs. of cocking effort while the 9 mm EZ registered 13 lbs., which is in marked contrast to the 23 lbs. required for a standard M&P9 Shield in 9 mm.

Reference
https://www.americanrifleman.o...wesson-mp9-shield-ez

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Excam_Man,

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ the 380 is awesome! Got it for my mom though I enjoy it quite a bit myself.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

Huh.

My new EZ9 feels like it has a 3 lb pull weight trigger...

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

Huh.

My new EZ9 feels like it has a 3 lb pull weight trigger...

Slide pull weight.

posted Hide Post
At the gun shop I have a retirement gig at the EZs sell themselves. After some really serious shoulder and neck surgery I debated carrying one, but switched to a revolver instead while I recovered.

They are large for what they are, the .380 in particular, but their size seems to aid in manipulation. A person who struggles with the manual of arms of a LCP typically does fine with a .380 EZ, plus it's added size makes it less unpleasant to shoot. From the .380 EZ it's an easy step up to the 9mm EZ.

The EZs are equally popular at the range rental counter, but I have to stress to new shooters that they use a high/proper weapon-hand grip in order to ensure that the grip safety is depressed sufficiently. When the pistols fail to fire it's typically because the shooter was gripping the pistol too low, and not fully depressing the grip safety.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correction, I found the article on the slide pull weights.

quote:
the .380 EZ came in at 9 lbs. of cocking effort while the 9 mm EZ registered 13 lbs., which is in marked contrast to the 23 lbs. required for a standard M&P9 Shield in 9 mm

Pulled from this article... really good article on the EZ models.
https://www.americanrifleman.o...wesson-mp9-shield-ez

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
[T]heir size seems to aid in manipulation...plus it's added size makes it less unpleasant to shoot.

Two points that occasionally seem to be lost on manufacturers, particularly when it comes to serving the older folks market.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the gun shop I have a retirement gig at the EZs sell themselves. After some really serious shoulder and neck surgery I debated carrying one, but switched to a revolver instead while I recovered.

They are large for what they are, the .380 in particular, but their size seems to aid in manipulation. A person who struggles with the manual of arms of a LCP typically does fine with a .380 EZ, plus it's added size makes it less unpleasant to shoot. From the .380 EZ it's an easy step up to the 9mm EZ.

The EZs are equally popular at the range rental counter, but I have to stress to new shooters that they use a high/proper weapon-hand grip in order to ensure that the grip safety is depressed sufficiently. When the pistols fail to fire it's typically because the shooter was gripping the pistol too low, and not fully depressing the grip safety.

I've shot the .380 and yes the recoil is relatively...(ahem)..."EZ", just like how the slide is to manipulate. But I've yet to try the 9mm and frankly I'd have concerns about how harsh the recoil would be with that design for the gun's intended user base. Considering how relatively light the recoil spring is in order to make the slide relatively easy to rack, I'd think that the 9mm EZ would smack back a fair bit harder than, say, a similarly sized M&P Shield in 9mm.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
No experience with the 9mm version but my wife uses the 380 EZ as her house gun. S&W couldn't have designed the EZ much better for the demographic they were after.
She's not able to work the slide on any of my pistols. (Beretta's being the closest) Granted it's only 8+1 rounds of 380 on board but grabbing an extra 8 rd mag when something goes bump (or to back me up when I have to go see) should be enough to settle things. Mainly it's the best choice because it has low recoil, fit's her hand & she shoots it very well, which is what matters the most.
I imagine the 9mm would be the same with just a bit more spring force & recoil. It should make her a fine house gun.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
[T]heir size seems to aid in manipulation...plus it's added size makes it less unpleasant to shoot.

Two points that occasionally seem to be lost on manufacturers, particularly when it comes to serving the older folks market.

Yes for my wife this was a huge plus. You can give someone recoil sensitive a .380 but then you make it some micro pistol and it's hard to get a good grip and it's still unpleasant or hard to shoot. The EZ .380 is a perfect combo of big enough to get a real grip on, small enough to easily conceal. It's size is why it's such a perfect pistol for that niche of the market.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post