SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P365. in .380?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P365. in .380? Login/Join 
Picture of Alex35
posted
Any chance the P365 will be releases in .380?

Posts: 187 | Registered: February 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is always a chance of nearly anything, but striker-fired .380 pistols seem to involve special challenges.

The CEO of Ruger gave the following response to the question of whether Ruger would produce a striker-fired version of its hammer-fired LC380.
quote:
Q. I really like the Ruger LC9s® Pro. I also like the Ruger LC380®. Can you tell me if Ruger has any plans to release a striker fired model of the LC380®?

Striker-fired guns are typically "cock-on-close" and, as a result, they require a recoil spring that is substantially stronger than the striker spring so that they can compress (cock) that spring when returning the slide into battery (on close). But the 380 is not powerful enough to reliably compress a recoil spring that is also strong enough to overcome the striker spring. So 380 is not a great choice for cock-on-close striker mechanism. Long-term, we may work on a cock-on-open striker-fired mechanism to try to overcome this shortfall.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I learned something today. Thank you.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What’s the draw for the .380 anyhow. Other than a little less recoil I don’t get it. If you’re buying such a small gun recoil probably isn’t a very high on the feature list.

The .380 is almost like a 9mm short so the gun is no more compact than a 9mm meaning more rounds cannot be added and the ammo is less powerful while being way more expensive.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be shocked if this happened. Use subsonic 9mm if standard 9mm causes recoils issues for you. There are also some specifically reduced power 9mm loads available.

Posts: 111 | Location: Alabama | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alex35
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
What’s the draw for the .380 anyhow. Other than a little less recoil I don’t get it. If you’re buying such a small gun recoil probably isn’t a very high on the feature list.

The .380 is almost like a 9mm short so the gun is no more compact than a 9mm meaning more rounds cannot be added and the ammo is less powerful while being way more expensive.

It is a recoil thing for me. I really like the followup shots with my G42 VS my G43. My wife who has Lupus and bad R/A Like the .380 too. She likes her P238.

posted Hide Post
Subcompact guns in 9mm typically have very stout recoil springs.

Some people, like my wife who has had reconstructive surgery on her hand, cannot rack a slide with heavy recoil springs (and please don't try to talk about technique if you do not understand actual physical impairments). Locked-breach .380 pistols have very light recoil springs. I can rack the slides on a couple of my wife's .380 pistols with my pinky finger.

As previously noted, the recoil of a locked-breach .380 is substantially less than the recoil of a 9mm pistol of similar size. I would be surprised if anyone could not shoot such a .380 faster and more accurately than a comparable 9mm.

Posts: 625 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alex35:
quote:

It is a recoil thing for me. I really like the followup shots with my G42 VS my G43. My wife who has Lupus and bad R/A Like the .380 too. She likes her P238.

I agree the soft shooting 42 is much more fun then the 43, the 365 imo is about half way between the two. I think the 365 .380 would be great, I would buy one.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys should look into the S&W EZ 380.

Posts: 3874 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alex35
posted Hide Post
quote:
You guys should look into the S&W EZ 380.

It looks like it might be too large for pocket carry

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I just saw a recent blurb that Sig plans to release this month or next a P365 in .380 caliber.

Interesting.

https://americanhandgunner.com...vailable-in-380-acp/

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are physics involved, like the Ruger guy was saying. In order to be easy to operate, the EZ MUST be larger.

I find a Beretta 84 or 85 is fairly easy to operate, but it, too, is a bit large for pocket carry.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I just saw a recent blurb that Sig plans to release this month or next a P365 in .380 caliber.

Very interesting and informative.

Thanks for that, but I really, really wish that such articles would include a publish date. I looked several times but couldn’t find one for that.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47364 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
No publish date is annoying, but the target delivery of:
quote:
Anticipated to ship in March/April, the SIG SAUER P365 .380 ACP will likely carry the same MSRP as the 9mm version, $499–599.

Of course we all know how those thing go.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
Of course we all know how those thing go.

Yes, we do, and that’s part of the reason I like to see the dates of articles like that. Although it’s hardly always true, predictions for something that’s supposed to be released next month tend to be more accurate than if it’s six months or a year out.

With such a release, though, the gun manufacturers must be tearing their hair over the continuing ammo situation because it’s got to have an inhibiting effect on the willingness of people to buy a new gun if they don’t already have ammunition for it. I’ve never even thought about having a 380, but if I wanted one for some reason, the P365 would be it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47364 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Here is a Youtube video from two weeks ago of Sig talking about the new .380 P365 and some shooting footage. Looks like a nice flat shooter. I really like the .380 caliber and would love to have a 365XL with 15 round magazine .380.

Starts talking about the P365 at 2:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AkJnpWztPw

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
And then some schmuck like me will want to put a 9x18makarov conversion barrel in it. I'm still trying to get my Glock 42 to be a reliable Glockerov. A 365 in 9x18M would be very tempting. Why? Just 'cause.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

The .380 is almost like a 9mm short
Yup, almost. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
P365 in .380? Not interested.

Posts: 417 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I can see an SAS in .380 appealing to a lot of people.
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
And then some schmuck like me will want to put a 9x18makarov conversion barrel in it.

Oh, yes. It's obviously fit to handle the cartridge, and SIG is already in the replacement slide buisness (as are one or two other companies), so getting a breachblock tailored to suit should be in the realm of that which is theoretically possible. You and I may wind up having to hope, though, that someone in the aftermarket gets inspired.

Then someone will decide that they want a .30 Luger...

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post