SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone know what could have caused this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know what could have caused this? Login/Join 
posted
Hey all, I picked up a two tone W. German P226 this weekend and upon further inspection it looks like discoloration/burns from extreme heat. It will not wipe away. Is this an indicator for a refinished slide? Thanks again.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/...n/dateposted-public/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: indreams84,

Posts: 93 | Location: Gulf Coast, FL | Registered: September 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indreams84:
PS- this not being able to post pics directly is a PITA
Works fine for me.

Posts: 107680 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Posts: 93 | Location: Gulf Coast, FL | Registered: September 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
While I admittedly have little experience with the various nickel plated P-Series pistols, I believe the discoloration on your slide is from the heat of the welding process when the slide was manufactured. On the black finished carbon slides, this area is sometimes plum color - a result of the nose of the slide being welded to the rearward portion.

BTW - Is your user ID a Lynch reference?

Posts: 3508 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
W. German = folded carbon steel slide. Not stainless.
Looks aftermarket refinished to me.

Q

Posts: 26440 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is the aftermarket finish was not properly applied in that area.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16108 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for input! Up against my factory nickel P226 it becomes very obvious it is a refinish I think. I still will keep her as it is a non-import stamped W. German 94' gun; kinda unique IMO. Plus I paid ~$600 for it with 3 mags so pretty good price.

20191013_111922 by m b, on Flickr