SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P226 X-series; any support for these guns?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 X-series; any support for these guns? Login/Join 
posted
The thread about original Colt Python gunsmith support had me wondering about any gunsmithing/repair support for the Mastershop guns. SIG NH typically has a nasty habit of stepping away from supporting discontinued firearms--sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly--and with these wonderful German firearms having a "double" negative (1: discontinued, 2: they weren't made here) so I imagine that Newington CS probably plays dumb and negatively blunt these days when it comes to support. Has there been 3rd party resources to try to fill in the void?

I sort of remember that Gray Guns once made a beefed-up replacement extractor for the X-guns but in the years that have followed I don't recall seeing much beyond that other than maybe a few names of gunsmithing services for trigger and action improvements.

The reason why I asked is because I recently added another X-Five to my horde of pistols.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
P226 X-series; any support for these guns?

You (we) are SOL.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe not.

They run and run and run without issue.

I have spare parts kits and an armorer certificate.

I think I’m good.

Posts: 39 | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

You (we) are SOL.

I have a 226 x-short
Care to elaborate?

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1302 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
quote:
quote:

You (we) are SOL.

I have a 226 x-short
Care to elaborate?

The SIG Mastershop in Germany has closed, so replacement parts (will be rare) and support is non existent as result etc.

Sig USA doesn’t support the German X Fives either

Hope this helps..

Posts: 259 | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Exactly.

Q

Posts: 26339 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
No more factory support, only existing spares and aftermarket

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You (we) are SOL.

Yeah, I thought as much. Oh well, a few mags through it every once and a (long) while probably won't add up to much wear and tear.

-MG

Posts: 1979 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The Allround, which is essentially a fancy looking DA/SA P226 w/ a 5-inch barrel, SIG USA will work on, but forget about all the fancy German SAO Xguns.

For parts, Armory Craft does make some, but they are not what I would call the necessities that need replacing every so often. Sport TDL, skeletonized trigger and hammer, Alu jeft funnel, Alu extended mag base.

DPM Recoil Systems from Greece makes the entire RSA, should you ever need replacement.

Q

posted Hide Post
Good info. Thanks.

BTW, the one I got is a Gen2 Supermatch that I recently won off of GB, offered by MMB. Margie was great to work with. Currently in WA State's version of background check purgatory, residing in the vault at our shop for a few more days.

I was originally after a Gen1 X-Five L1 in .40...then the Supermatch was THERE in the search results and just whispered "you just KNOW you want me"...

-MG

posted Hide Post
quote:
They run and run and run without issue

That depends on the model. Its definitely not true for the X5L1 guns. Have no experience on the OP's supermatch.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I may be a bit less vulnerable than most P226 X5 owners. My Competition doesn’t have the complex 3-way adjustable trigger. Its trigger is very nicely adjusted though, thanks to Mr. Robert Burke.

No rails, no gold plating, no hard-to-clean skeletonizing. Just quintessential X5 goodness.

Am I worried that it’s going to break? Nope. Lots of folks regularly shoot pistols that have had no factory support for a long time.

That said, I have to admit that the B&W model (original version) is flat out beautiful. The second version not so much.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So am I supposed to be fearful of my X-Five breaking and no hope? Frown

It works spectacularly and for that matter all my Sigs have not had a single issue either.

If zero parts are available > never > then that would be concern. Eek

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
So am I supposed to be fearful of my X-Five breaking and no hope? Frown

It works spectacularly and for that matter all my Sigs have not had a single issue either.

If zero parts are available > never > then that would be concern. Eek

Terrified, actually.

Some how, in the same breath the West German guns are so indestructible compared to the new manufacture P Series guns ( which rarely ever break), but break so very often that it’s necessary to opine and complain about the lack of replacement parts? Confused

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
They run and run and run without issue

That depends on the model. Its definitely not true for the X5L1 guns. Have no experience on the OP's supermatch.

Care to expand on this? What design and/or reliability issues can I expect to encounter with my X5 L1 Pistol?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
The internal extractor can wear or break, causing feeding and extraction problems. This especially applies to the first generation L1 9mm models, but could happen with any of them. The best advice is to locate and obtain a spare extractor, but they are hard to find.

Most of them run like a top, so you may never encounter this issue.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^I'm aware of the 'potential' Internal Extractor issue, but my understanding is that ALL X5's had the 'Internal Extractor'...X5 1st Gen AND X-Five 2nd Gen, as well as other German P226 & P220 Pistols from the same period. As indicated, 'most' run like a top. Was there a specific design change/timeframe to address the issue? Regardless, it was not an issue specific to the X5 L1 as 'hrcjon' seems to indicate.

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^I'm aware of the 'potential' Internal Extractor issue, but my understanding is that ALL X5's had the 'Internal Extractor'...X5 1st Gen AND X-Five 2nd Gen, as well as other German P226 & P220 Pistols from the same period. As indicated, 'most' run like a top. Was there a specific design change/timeframe to address the issue? Regardless, it was not an issue specific to the X5 L1 as 'hrcjon' seems to indicate.

Bruce Gray can answer you question, if anyone can.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The early P220 ST had the internal extractor that was problematic for many (but not all) folks, from what I read. Never had one, so I don't know. This extractor is the same one that was on the early Xguns, again reported by some as problematic. The P220 ST was eventually outfitted with the short extractor. SIG DE eventually redesigned the internal extractor on their Xguns, and the issue that folks complained about appeared to have resolved. When did they change to the new internal extractor? Who knows, but my former X5 L1 from 2013 (BD date code), serial number U902553, has the redesigned one.

Early internal extractor (not my pics):

Redesigned internal extractor (my former X5 L1):

Here is a better pic of the revised extractor, this one on the X5 Facettes from 2019:

Side note: the P226 X5 SHORT Gen1 models all sport the short extractor.

Q

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the informative post 'Q'! Just checked my X5 L1 (a 'BD' U901XXX S/N - 10/17/2013 BOD) and it has the redesigned Internal Extractor.

I don't shoot my X5 often enough, but WOW, it certainly has a VERY Impressive Slide to Frame fit...In a word, 'hydraulic'! Cool

Live Free or Die!