SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    interesting malfunction with my 365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

interesting malfunction with my 365 Login/Join 
posted
i was doing some drills with my 365 today and had an interesting malfunction......i was shooting some lead reloads that run flawlessly....i was rocking along and had a failure to go into battery which i initially blamed on my reload....it was like i had an oversize round and the gun was about 1/4" from going into battery....i racked the round out and was going to examine it for whatever was going on with the round. when i noticed the slide still did not completely forward with no round in it....i pulled it back and tried several times to get it to close....it was solidly hitting something.....and would not close....i assumed something internal had broken.....well just as quick it went into battery with no more malfunctions....i think i had a similar malfunction about a month ago but i cleared it before i analysed it ...... Today after i finished i gave it a good cleaning and blowing out with a complete disassembly.....i'm shooting IDPA with it tomorrow and we'll see how it goes....D I C K

born on date 12/2018

"Take a kid shooting"

Posts: 28 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
That's odd. I'd wonder if the gun has a part in the action area popping up and blocking the forward movement...

Posts: 1966 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I'm going to guess there is an issue with your recoil spring. Could it have moved somehow and no longer firmly in contact with the barrel lug?

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Possibly a tiny piece of lead shaving from your reloads? Sounds to me like something was there that is no longer there.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Concur with lead shaving(s). Possibly around the barrel hood or at a strategic spot in the frame. Not uncommon and will usually clear easily. Checking & adjusting cartridge OAL may help with lead shaving/cutting.

Bill

LTCOL USMC (ret)
NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 32 | Location: FL | Registered: June 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I had something similar happen to me. I was shooting WWB ammo and a round wouldn't fully chamber. Pulled the mag, ejected the round to look in the chamber. Some white pieces of filler? were in the chamber preventing the round from chambering. Wiped the particles out and was back in business.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2039 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shot idpa today approximately 100 rds with my 124 gr Montana gold ..... no issues..... d i c k

"Take a kid shooting"

Posts: 28 | Location: Wilmington NC | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dickwholliday:
Shot idpa today approximately 100 rds with my 124 gr Montana gold ..... no issues..... d i c k

I’ve always had good results with those
Hope it goes well

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the first incident occurred, the one you cleared without analyzing, were you using the same lead reloads?

If so, I'd think lead shavings, too.

But if the other malfunction was with jacketed bullets, I'd think pistol problem, not ammo.

Sincerely hope you find it was the ammo, not the gun.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same thing happen to my 365. The slide would not fully close, even on an empty chamber. I pulled the slide all the way to the rear and let it drop, and it closed as it should and went back to functioning perfectly. I attributed it to some powder particles blocking the barrel or slide. Whatever it was, it hasn't done it again....

Character is doing the right thing even when no one else will know...

Posts: 50 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When it happens again I’ll make notes and take some pics

"Take a kid shooting"

Picture of FotoTomas
posted Hide Post
It happened to me as well with one of my three 365 pistols. Fired a round and the gun did not go into battery. That was the 818th round fired from a new pistol. I was doing a 2000 round challenge.

I Pulled the magazine and cleared the chamber and the slide continued to fail to fully closed. Tried several attempts to run it forward with the slide release or simple overhand manipulations. Would not close. Packed it up and brought it home. Playing with it at the house and no luck and I could see nothing wrong. I was planning to send it back and I’ll be danged it simply closed. I teared it down and could see nothing wrong. Next day it went back to the range and functioned fine. I finished the challenge.

I did not keep that pistol long after the challenge. I had planned to use it as my training pistol but it started malfunctioning a lot after about 2500 rounds. I should have kept it and simply replaced the recoil spring but that dang lockup at #818 tipped me to trading her away.

Keep your weapon handy, live free and prosper.

Posts: 814 | Location: Orlando and Daytona Beach, FL | Registered: April 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those that had issues, what was the born on date?

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post