SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    BHP Gunsmith recommendation in the Houston area
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BHP Gunsmith recommendation in the Houston area Login/Join 
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted
Have an issue with one of my Hi-Powers. Very hard to move slide back due to hammer spring being too stiff/hard.

Anyone familiar with a good, knowledgeable smith in the Houston area?

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
There are a collosal number of absolute clowns running around that area breaking people’s guns for a fee.

Given that, I would bet Ed Vandenberg in pearland is your best best.

Changing the mainspring on a hi power is not a great idea. The BHP design has a very light slide, and the mainspring weight is integral to the unlocking process and keep the slide velocity correct in recoil. Changing it is not a matter of just checking primer indents and moving along. Hi Powers with lightened mainsprings will round their locking lugs faster than the stock spring, and that can go pretty fast as it is.

If you do want to change it, it isn’t hard, just make sure you have a jig, loyal assistant or a strategic piece of twine to hold the hammer back while you reinstall the sear.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cwelch
posted Hide Post

Posts: 268 | Location: Conyers, Ga. | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
There are a collosal number of absolute clowns running around that area breaking people’s guns for a fee.

Given that, I would bet Ed Vandenberg in pearland is your best best.

Changing the mainspring on a hi power is not a great idea. The BHP design has a very light slide, and the mainspring weight is integral to the unlocking process and keep the slide velocity correct in recoil. Changing it is not a matter of just checking primer indents and moving along. Hi Powers with lightened mainsprings will round their locking lugs faster than the stock spring, and that can go pretty fast as it is.

If you do want to change it, it isn’t hard, just make sure you have a jig, loyal assistant or a strategic piece of twine to hold the hammer back while you reinstall the sear.

I agree; Ed is hard to beat.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's here in Phoenix, but the mod/s he made really impressed me. No need to cock the hammer just to cycle your slide...

https://thegunsmith.com/price_list.html

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I would look up Eddie Jimenea, he worked on a Para-Ordnance .45 for me and also a friends pistol. Top notch work.

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
\
quote:
Originally posted by C L Wilkins:
Have an issue with one of my Hi-Powers. Very hard to move slide back due to hammer spring being too stiff/hard.

Is this a new to you Hi Power, or something that has changed in a gun you already have and are used to?

If new, the best no-cost approach is to cock the hammer first, and pull the slide back.

Also, is this a 9mm or .40S&W hi power?

I don't have any suggestions on people, but have some knowledge of the system.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bczrx:
\
quote:
Originally posted by C L Wilkins:

Is this a new to you Hi Power, or something that has changed in a gun you already have and are used to?

If new, the best no-cost approach is to cock the hammer first, and pull the slide back.

Also, is this a 9mm or .40S&W hi power?

I don't have any suggestions on people, but have some knowledge of the system.

Sorry for the untimely response...

Have had this particular Hi Power for about 10 years and it seems to have gotten progressively worse for some reason. It is a 9mm and bought it new.

I will be taking it in for a "look-see" in a few weeks to one of the suggested smiths. I don't have this issue with the others. Thanks to all for the recommendations.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Vandenberg is where I would go.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ed Vandenberg is the guy to see. He built my FAL for me and did an outstanding job.

Front sight...Front sight...Front sight...Only Hits Count.
NRA Life Member
Frank John Boy -Police Lingo

Posts: 126 | Registered: July 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post