SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The 10mm SIG 220ST Project
Page 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 65
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 10mm SIG 220ST Project Login/Join 
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
Nice Work GrayGuns!

I'm wondering if the circled piece (in the photo below) is something you've added to this gun or if it's original?
What's it's function or is it there to protect the frame from getting hammered by the trigger?

Thanks!

Good spotting! This is an adjustable over travel stop screw, accessed through the magazine mortise. We offer this on all stainless-framed SIG's as a nice alternative to a hard-fitted internal trigger stop.

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jere, thanks for your story on 225. Yes, I've known about Birdsong's work for some time! Now shoot it for 4-500 more without cleaning, so it can "shoot in"! Now I understand about Sig!

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tarheelfan84
posted Hide Post
I wish we could talk SIG into manfacturing a SIG 220 in 10mm now I would be on one of these like White on Rice.. Gimme Gimme Gimme!

Posts: 677 | Location: WNC  | Registered: March 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tarheelfan84:
I wish we could talk SIG into manfacturing a SIG 220 in 10mm now I would be on one of these like White on Rice.. Gimme Gimme Gimme!

I'm sorry, but it seems that all that's available are hand-built, high-grade, custom pistols to satisfy the small but enthusuastic 10mm P220 demand.

Roll Eyes

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeremiahjj
posted Hide Post
Metaphorically, Sigs, Glocks, Smiths, etc., are like Timex watches. They tell time, they're accurate right out of the box and they're also a dime a dozen (well, a bit more than that).

GGI's handmade handguns are like expensive Rolexes. They do the same thing as the other timepieces, only they do it with elegance.

SIGnature: Jere

Posts: 1369 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colo. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeremiahjj:
Metaphorically, Sigs, Glocks, Smiths, etc., are like Timex watches. They tell time, they're accurate right out of the box and they're also a dime a dozen (well, a bit more than that).

GGI's handmade handguns are like expensive Rolexes. They do the same thing as the other timepieces, only they do it with elegance.

Yea but I can only tell time with the Rolex to about 3 yards, GGI SIG 10MM will deliver a message out to about 100 or so? Smile

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeremiahjj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
quote:
Originally posted by jeremiahjj:

GGI's handmade guns are like expensive Rolexes. They do the same thing as the other timepieces, only they do it with elegance.

Yea but I can only tell time with the Rolex to about 3 yards, GGI SIG 10MM will deliver a message out to about 100 or so? Smile

Posts: 1369 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colo. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NorfolkP229
posted Hide Post
My humble photos of my extraordinary pistol. Soon to have Sig Rosewood grips installed.

---------------
Jeffrey

P365 - GGI P220ST 10mm - Sig Mosquito - Various Others

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7897 | Location: WNC Native, now in Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: August 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeremiahjj
posted Hide Post
Sir, did you know the hammer's back on that gun?

Yessir, I did.

But isn't it dangerous that way?

Yessir, it is.

posted Hide Post
Norfolk, very nice looking gun! If it doesn't work out for a set of Rosewood's off an Elite, or other grip maker, have some nice walnut SIG OEM's for it?

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Range Report:

This. Pistol. Is. Effin'. AWESOME !!!
I can't begin to tell you how enjoyable my range time with the P220 10mm was yesterday.

This was actually my second session with it. I was quite disappointed with it on my first trip last week.

I had brought only 150gr hollowpoint ammo with me then.
My first shot at 30' nailed the 1" bullseye dead-center. Great start!

I got off only six rounds and then I had a jam. No biggie - it's a brand new pistol. I dropped the mag, cleared the round, re-inserted the mag and let the slide fly. Jam. WTF?

I cleared that one and tried again. Jam.

At this point, I figure it's something with the mag. I try the other three mags and get the same result.
Now I'm getting worried. I couldn't get another round to chamber from any magazine and had to give up on the 10mm.
To say the least, I was disappointed.

I brought it home, gave it a good cleaning and then tested it with some other ammo.
Being at home, I couldn't shoot it, but I loaded up two mags each with 5 rounds of CCI BLazer 180gr Truncated Cone and another two mags with five rounds each of Federal 200gr Truncated Cone. I hand-cycled the pistol, letting the slide fly to load.
Everything chambered - no problems at all.

So, I took it back to the range yesterday with the 180gr and 200gr ammo. Not one problem.
Evidently, the gun just doesn't like the 150gr hollowpoint ammo. The ogive must be incompatible with the feed ramp and chamber geometry. I'll try it another time with some heavier hollowpoints and see what happens. I'm not planning to carry the P220 concealed, so I guess it won't be a huge deal if it won't feed (certain?) hollowpoints.

I've e-mailed Bruce to see what his thoughts are on this. I wish I had brought the 150gr ammo along on the second trip to try it again.

Anyway, back to the good stuff. Mine was built on a P220 Elite stainless.
The pistol is very tight and feels extremely solid in the hand. Despite that tightness, the slide feels like it's gliding on glass. The (short reset) trigger, tweaked by GGI, is awesome. Nice and light with a crisp let-off. The fixed sights appear to be spot-on to point-of-impact. Accuracy is good (see below). Recoil seemed very soft, no doubt helped by the weight of the all-stainless gun.

Overall, the pistol is a pleasure to shoot, and I'm extremely happy to have it.
I'm a happy boy.

Here's my target from yesterday with my first 10 shots at 30 feet:
(Yes, it's upside-down; it was hanging that way)

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signoir
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience with my first trip to the range. Failure to feeds using Hornady 180g HAPs. Back home, I found diffences between my mags. The follower on two of them snags the mag release slots on the mag body. The feed lips of one of the other mags is too wide, causing the cartridge to sit up too high. I plan to go back to the range this weekend and touch off some Doubletaps.

"When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power...like God must feel... when he's holding a gun!" H. Simpson.

Posts: 1044 | Registered: July 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signoir:
I had a similar experience with my first trip to the range. Failure to feeds using Hornady 180g HAPs. Back home, I found diffences between my mags. The follower on two of them snags the mag release slots on the mag body. The feed lips of one of the other mags is too wide, causing the cartridge to sit up too high. I plan to go back to the range this weekend and touch off some Doubletaps.

Interesting! Obviously the followers should NOT be hanging up. Please send these back and let me replace them if this persists? It's not something I have been able to replicate here with the mags in stock so far.

We tested these with Remington and (mostly) CCI Blazer 200gr. ammo. I fully expect that some loads may be less feeding-friendly in some pistols, and we'll deal with adjustments when issues crop up.

Doubletaps? Oh Gawd!

-Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

Picture of signoir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
quote:

Interesting! Obviously the followers should NOT be hanging up. Please send these back and let me replace them if this persists? It's not something I have been able to replicate here with the mags in stock so far.

We tested these with Remington and (mostly) CCI Blazer 200gr. ammo. I fully expect that some loads may be less feeding-friendly in some pistols, and we'll deal with adjustments when issues crop up.

Doubletaps? Oh Gawd!

-Bruce

My guess is that the mag problems are easily fixed. I haven't taken the base pads off yet but I believe that these Metalforms have welded bases - if so, I'll need to pull the followers out of the top...no big deal.

I was going to try to see how the DTs feed because they have Gold Dots. Should I wait for the custom recoil spring?

"When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power...like God must feel... when he's holding a gun!" H. Simpson.

Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Doubletaps? Oh Gawd!

-Bruce

My guess is that the mag problems are easily fixed. I haven't taken the base pads off yet but I believe that these Metalforms have welded bases - if so, I'll need to pull the followers out of the top...no big deal.

I was going to try to see how the DTs feed because they have Gold Dots. Should I wait for the custom recoil spring?

Please call me at the shop to discuss this ammo: 541-468-3840. Springs are in development. Our first attempt to make an HD 10mm / +P spring failed due to a manufacturer issue. New ones are frthcoming very soon that shold be correct. Thanks. -Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

Picture of signoir
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Doubletaps? Oh Gawd!

-Bruce

Please call me at the shop to discuss this ammo: 541-468-3840. Springs are in development. Our first attempt to make an HD 10mm / +P spring failed due to a manufacturer issue. New ones are frthcoming very soon that shold be correct. Thanks. -Bruce

Bruce - I bought the ammo from DT a few years ago. I don't see them listed on their site now. I'll take a picture of them (5 different cartridges) and e-mail the picture, OALs, and specs to you tonight and follow-up with the phone call.

Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bruce - I bought the ammo from DT a few years ago. I don't see them listed on their site now. I'll take a picture of them (5 different cartridges) and e-mail the picture, OALs, and specs to you tonight and follow-up with the phone call.

OK, thank you. There have been reported...incidents with a certan maker of over-SAAMI-spec 10mm ammo that has blown up a couple of guns.

I continue to recommend use of standard, major-brand 10mm training ammo like Blazer for range use, and the excellent Winchester 175gr. Silvertip for carry.

Just as the original specs for 10mm Norma proved quite excessive after it had been marketed for a couple years, the ultra-heavy off-brand stuff that in some cases is claimed to exceed the original 10mm PF is irresponsible and offers little real advantage ballistically while hammering the gun needlessly.

225 PF loads should be enough for anyone, while showering the range with broken pistol parts isn't a good thing. I'm just being reasonable in my recommendations.

-Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

posted Hide Post
I was finally able to take my Graygun out to the range with sufficient ammunition this past weekend. What's not to love? It ran flawlessly with CCI and DT in a variety of weights (mostly 180gr and 200gr), shot to point of aim, kept everything in the black out to 25 yards no matter how many drills and positions I tried. What I couldn't get over was how "smooth" it felt.

By the way, and in response to a couple of posts above, I have not encountered any DT ammunition that seemed overpressure or had problems feeding or extracting. I use quite a bit of it in my other 10mm's, and it all chrono's consistently as if it's within SAAMI (though obviously I don't have a pressure gauge). The Graygun seems to like the 200gr FMJ, and the 180 gr and 165 gr Speer Gold Dots. The Hornady's seem to spread a little. If I shouldn't be using them in the Graygun, please let me know.

I would love to use Silvertips or CCI more, but I can't seem to find them in quantity anywhere around here.

Posts: 9 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signoir
posted Hide Post
You can read a full range report of my GGI10 here...
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8200003102

Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
Hello Grayguns gang!

Any thoughts on a second run of 10mm P220ST's?

I finally have the funds and it's burnin' a hole in my pocket! Smile

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post