SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The 10mm SIG 220ST Project
Page 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 65
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 10mm SIG 220ST Project Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Amazing pistol... looking forward to seeing more range reports and photos... Wink

- Rhino

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeremiahjj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NorfolkP229:
Merry Day After Christmas to me!!! My GGI P-220 10mm arrived this morning. Big Grin Talk about a gun built like a tank, this thing feels more solid than my S&W 1006! I can't wait to get it out to the range.

More of a tank than your 220SS was? My 245SS is pretty much tank-like too, but it's not a 10mm.

SIGnature: Jere

Posts: 1369 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colo. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NorfolkP229
posted Hide Post
Hey Bruce, got my 10mm P220 back Saturday. Everything looks and feels great. I am hoping to get her out to the range sometime this week and put it through her paces. One thing I did notice though, my slide didn't have the GGI rollmark that CPUFIXER's had. Any reason why mine wouldn't have got the rollmark?

---------------
Jeffrey

P365 - GGI P220ST 10mm - Sig Mosquito - Various Others

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7897 | Location: WNC Native, now in Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: August 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Bruce, got my 10mm P220 back Saturday. Everything looks and feels great. I am hoping to get her out to the range sometime this week and put it through her paces. One thing I did notice though, my slide didn't have the GGI rollmark that CPUFIXER's had. Any reason why mine wouldn't have got the rollmark?

Why? It's because of your (please select one or more oppressed class(es) which you identify with):

1) race
2) ethnicity
3) religion
4) gender
5) sexual orientation
6) age
7) socioeconomic class
8) immigrant status
9) education
10) body size
11) personal appearance
12) political affiliation
13) owns / does not own a Glock

Razz

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Oh my!!!!!! I am green with envy. Nicely done Bruce.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36842 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NorfolkP229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
quote:

Why? It's because of your (please select one or more oppressed class(es) which you identify with):

1) race
2) ethnicity
3) religion
4) gender
5) sexual orientation
6) age
7) socioeconomic class
8) immigrant status
9) education
10) body size
11) personal appearance
12) political affiliation
13) owns / does not own a Glock

Razz

-Bruce

I'll take #13 Alex Wink

---------------
Jeffrey

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. " - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 7897 | Location: WNC Native, now in Virginia Beach, VA | Registered: August 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

Actually, yes, there is a logical reason. After I took over the project this fall, I took a careful look at the work we had done and realized these 10mm's were not quite up to the standards I had envisioned for various reasons. In the process of reworking each of these pistols prior to delivery, I sent some slides and frames out for a second round of refinishing in Super Black to correct various cosmetic flaws and handling mars, while we refinished others here. Your slide had some problems that required more work on my part and was thus delayed. I was unable to get it back to our laser engraving service promptly for marking and decided not to hold it up further.

I'll be happy to get this done for you after you've had some quality time with it and can spare the slide for a couple weeks at most.

Thanks!

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
Oh my!!!!!! I am green with envy. Nicely done Bruce.

Thanks, man. Obamacare has me inspired lately.
I figure that when they start rationing medical care based on one's oppressed social class, we'll all need to know how to fill out the forms.

-Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

posted Hide Post
OK, I got to the range tonight. Thought I would post a pick of two targets plus P220 10mm. The top target was my very first shot. The second target was shot nine times with 165 or 180 grain 10mm. Now, the targets were placed at only 7 yards, and in my defense of the second target's results, I have taken so many defensive pistol courses that I can no longer shoot slow.

The pistol is very tight, and I did have several
FTF. I am confident that it will feed fine after it is broken in. All mags worked well. The reset for the single action is exceptional. This Sig is truly a joy to shoot.

Thank you Bruce, Scott, and all who helped put this pistol together.

dhb

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dhb,

Posts: 18 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dhb:
OK, I got to the range tonight. Thought I would post a pick of two targets plus P220 10mm. The top target was my very first shot. The second target was shot nine times with 165 or 180 grain 10mm. Now, the targets were placed at only 7 yards, and in my defense of the second target's results, I have taken so many defensive pistol courses that I can no longer shoot slow.

The pistol is very tight, and I did have several
FTF. I am confident that it will feed fine after it is broken in. All mags worked well. The reset for the single action is exceptional. This Sig is truly a joy to shoot.

Thank you Bruce, Scott, and all who helped put this pistol together."

You are welcome. FTF's are a concern, as these shouldn't require much of a "break-in" period, and with one glaring exception they have all run 100% so far with the Blazer aluminum 200gr factory training ammo we tested them with. I've cleaned out the gunshops in our region lately and we went through a total of 9 boxes of this stuff so far, with literally never an issue in final testing beyond that one pistol that simply wouldn't work at all that I ended up rebuilding. I frankly didn't expect these all to be so consistently reliable once I had them set up correctly. I'd be appreciative if you could examine the taper crimp and OAL values of the rounds you are shooting and tell me what they are for comparison? If we need to make adjustments or advise you to use different loads, we need to know. A detailed description or photo of the malfunction would also help me determine if there is a possibility of something we need to address?

-Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

posted Hide Post
Bruce,

I will make measurements as soon as I can and e-mail you the results. The rounds were Georgia Arms ammunition which work fine in my Delta. I had less trouble as I shot more rounds - and could easily push the slide into battery when the FTF occurred. Winchester Silver Tips fed OK and I did not get any FTF with them. I have plenty 200 grain Blazer on hand, and will try them when I next go to the range.

dhb

Posts: 18 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dhb:
Bruce,

I will make measurements as soon as I can and e-mail you the results. The rounds were Georgia Arms ammunition which work fine in my Delta. I had less trouble as I shot more rounds - and could easily push the slide into battery when the FTF occurred. Winchester Silver Tips fed OK and I did not get any FTF with them. I have plenty 200 grain Blazer on hand, and will try them when I next go to the range.

dhb

Good, thanks! I expect Silvertips to run and that's the load to carry if you do. Georgia Arms? It's the ammo. My theory: plated bullets and taper crimp. Tell me if I'm wrong?

-Bruce

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flork:
As of right now, we are not convinced that an alloy frame gun can handle the slide velocity and recoil generated by the 10mm cartridge. Our plan is to make them in stainless and see how it goes, then we'll make an attempt at the alloy frame.

Yes, we can use the DAK trigger system for the 10mm. If you have a DAK in your gun, no big deal, if you don't we can supply and install the parts.

I really liked your quote about owing enough guns so your wife will not notice +/- in the count. I finally ran my technique into the ground with "hey, honey, look what I found in the garage? Been looking for this for a long time. Worked for a time, until...once.

Posts: 259 | Location: San Diego, Ca (a dumb state) | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I picked up my GGI 10mm P220 today!

Mr. Gray, I must say you are a master craftsman. The results have exceeded my expectations. The words "quality", "expert workmanship" and "beautiful" immediately came to mind when I first saw it (and they still do).

I can't wait to get it to the range, which unfortunately probably won't be until next week.

Here's a couple pics:

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
WaterburyBob - that is an amazing looking P220! WOW!

- Rhino

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeremiahjj
posted Hide Post
This question has probably come up before, but I wonder if Bruce has thought about converting a P245SS. He (or one of his worker bees) did a nice job getting my 225 back into running condition. Sig wouldn't touch it.

Posts: 1369 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colo. | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WB, that is indeed a fine looking pistol.

jeremiah, if you care to do so, please post about 225 issues that Sig wouldn't touch, but Bruce fixed? Lots of folks with old 225/P6's,including me, who'd be interested! If not comfortable posting about experience, please PM me?

Hope everyone has a great 2010..... and don't get arrested for touching off those cannons during New Year's Eve tonight!

www.OrdnanceOutsellers.com
jerry@OrdnanceOutsellers.com

770-977-0662

Posts: 5227 | Location: Marietta, Ga. | Registered: August 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeremiahjj
posted Hide Post
Don't mind a bit posting on my 225. I was fortunate to have a great 225, but like a lot of other shooters, I'm always looking for perfection. I'd known who Mississippian Walter Birdsong was for a long time, so I sent my 225 to him to be Black T'd. In case you don't know about Black T, it's a coating process that makes metal impervious to salt, rust, corrosion, etc., but lets it remain a beautiful black and not gray. I won't dwell further on Black T because there's lots of information on the Internet about it -- although I will say Birdsong doesn't advertise. He doesn't have to because most of his work is for the government (mainly ours and Israel's).

Anyway, Birdsong told me to shoot the hell out of the 225 and don't clean it for 500-600 rounds. What he didn't tell me is that Sigs are already tight and Black T, which goes on even the tinest metal part, makes 'em even tighter. I didn't listen (curiosity is what killed the cat, right?) and took the gun apart as soon as I got it back. Well, I couldn't get the slide back on the frame. I contacted Birdsong and got my deserved chewing out for not following directions. He told me how to put a wooden dowel down the barrel and get the slide to mate up with the frame by lifting up on the lug end of the barrel.

So I did that (the problem was with the barrel, not the slide or frame) and it went back together just fine. I also shot it a few hundred rounds but it never got over the original problem -- the slide still wouldn't go back on the frame.

So I called Sig Arms about it. Once they heard I'd had it Black T'd, they wouldn't talk to me anymore. In other words, if I'd left it Nitron they'd have said send it in and they'd fix it. So I asked who they'd recommend I send it to and they recommended GGI generically, as in "we've heard GGI does a good job, but it's up to you who to send your gun to."

So I called GGI and they said they could fix it for me. They did, although the shipping back and forth was terribly expensive. I figure I'd have to get $1000 or more to get my money back out of this 225, which isn't for sale of course.

So that's my 225 story. I still have the finest shooting, best-looking 225 in existence. With Walter Birdsong's Black T on it, I call it my "Forever Gun," meaning it will be around forever.

I have a bunch of Sigs and Glocks too. There's nothing that fits my hand and wears as well on my side as the 225. Chances are I carry my G19, though, just because of the increased capacity, which is precisely why Sig quit making the 225. But I sure am glad I have one because two words fit the 225 when it comes to CCW: simply superb.

I apologize for going off-topic.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jeremiahjj,

Picture of NorfolkP229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

Actually, yes, there is a logical reason. After I took over the project this fall, I took a careful look at the work we had done and realized these 10mm's were not quite up to the standards I had envisioned for various reasons. In the process of reworking each of these pistols prior to delivery, I sent some slides and frames out for a second round of refinishing in Super Black to correct various cosmetic flaws and handling mars, while we refinished others here. Your slide had some problems that required more work on my part and was thus delayed. I was unable to get it back to our laser engraving service promptly for marking and decided not to hold it up further.

I'll be happy to get this done for you after you've had some quality time with it and can spare the slide for a couple weeks at most.

Thanks!

-Bruce

I figured there had to be a good reason. Wink I'll get in some quality time with her, then ship the slide back to ya. Thanks again! Smile

---------------
Jeffrey

posted Hide Post
Nice Work GrayGuns!

I'm wondering if the circled piece (in the photo below) is something you've added to this gun or if it's original?
What's it's function or is it there to protect the frame from getting hammered by the trigger?

Thanks!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post