SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    German proof stamps on a Ruger Revolver
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

German proof stamps on a Ruger Revolver Login/Join 
Picture of Citadel
posted
I have a Ruger Security Six in .38 special. When I went to clean it for the first time I noticed what appeared to be German proof stamps on the left side of the frame where the barrel threads into the frame. The stamps are as follows. The first stamp appears to be the German Eagle with the head turned to its right. There is a Capital N located where the feet of the eagle would be. The next crest is a Bavarian State Crest. The last stamp is a shield with two capital K’s within the shield. I find it interesting in that an American revolver would have those markings. My thought is it was sold as a commercial sales item or possibly a police service weapon in the State of Bayern (Bavaria). I am unable to post a photo but have taken a close up with pretty good definition should anyone wish to examine the marks. Thank you for your time.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find it interesting in that an American revolver would have those markings.

A lot of US made guns ended up in the European market. And, per CIP law, all firearms being sold in CIP member states must pass proof testing. Hence, the proof marks.

The eagle-over-N signifies that the gun passed the Nitro proof testing. The "state crest" is actually also the symbol of the Proof House Mellrichstadt located in Bavaria. The "KK" should mean that the proof year was 1999.

More info here on CIP's website: https://cip-bobp.org/en/old-proof-marks

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Btw, now that the gun ended up back where it was born, there should be the import marking somewhere on the gun of whomever the importing company was, unless it was a private bring back by a service member.

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One big importer in Germany is Frankonia Waffen based in Würzburg which is also located in Bavaria. I'll dig out my CZ75 which carries their stamp and pass it on to you. It came through Frankonia to a gun shop where I bought it while living there. As a matter of fact my Browning 1886 also carries their stamp.

Posts: 2011 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
email the photo to me and I will post it here, that sounds like it is worth seeing.

My email address is in my profile.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
email the photo to me and I will post it here, that sounds like it is worth seeing.

My email address is in my profile.

Check your email.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
That is the kind of stuff I love. I love proof marks and to have them on something like a Ruger Six is so cool and tells an interesting story.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7685 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
Georg Wirnsberger's book on proof marks is a recommended read. with it, it is possible to interpret the marks and trace the history of a weapon. with the information contained in it, it also becomes possible to confirm or objectively reject all kinds of myths and stories.
Disclaimer:The book only describes proof marks, their background and meaning. It does not deal with the acceptance marks of armies or authorities.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Here's the proof marks:

I reduced the image down considerably... Citadels image was over 3 megabytes... but hang on let me try something:

how about that?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
I just noticed the proof stamp on the barrel.

Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Btw, now that the gun ended up back where it was born, there should be the import marking somewhere on the gun of whomever the importing company was, unless it was a private bring back by a service member.

I found a Franconia Waffen stamp on the frame under the crane. I am unable to get a good shot of it currently. It is two w characters with a Capital F superimposed over it. I have a macro lens I have to dig out and will try to get a better shot of it.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
That first mark on the left on both the barrel and frame looks like some cartoon character I've seen.

I decided to look, One of the Cosby Cartoon Kids.

Dumb Donald:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

posted Hide Post
Achtung Blume9mm! Just emailed you a pic of the Frankonia stamp.

Posts: 2011 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Here ya go:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"