SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Claims for P365XL Comp Spectre
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Claims for P365XL Comp Spectre Login/Join 
Picture of Poppy6x
posted
I know it’s new to the market butI figured if anyone had real world info on the new P365XL Comp Spectre it would likely be someone on one of the Sig forums. Does the slide mounted comp really reduce recoil/flip by “up to 30%”? Most of the information on the internet is really in the form of a product announcement, nota real review. Those announcements are little more than a regurgitation of Sig marketing hype. There are a few online shoots and most of those echo “some” improvement. Now I’ll acknowledge that there may be a benefit to a frame mounted vs. barrel attached comp, but is it material in its function. I have shot the comped SAS and a Glock 19C and couldn’t really discern any benefit. So, what is the real bottom line on the new Sig?

And, what brilliant marketing mind thought to add a gold trigger, etc?

Sigs, HKs, S&Ws, Rugers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Colts

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some folks have already tried it and the jury is still out. Most people compare it to the 365XL because of same size, and feel it flips less. The problem is that for a similar slide weight and same recoil assembly the Spectre Comp uses a shorter barrel and bullet velocity, hence slide velocity and momentum, have got to be lower. It also appears to have a better grip traction than the standard XL.
The design idea is not dissimilar to the bushing comps of 1911s and general consensus is that those don't do much.
I decided to pass and stick with a more conventional comp.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
While at the range yesterday I handled a Springfield Hellcat RDP which also has a compensator. Unlike the Sig it was mounted on the 3.7 inch barrel with a self indexing feature. Seems like the micro-compact product class is evolving with compensators, bling(Spectre), RDS, and longer barrels (P365XL and Hellcat Pro). Pretty clear that Springfield and Sig Product Development teams are watching each other closely.

I liked the Hellcat RDP. I have a base Hellcat in addition to a P365X and P365XL Spectre. The Hellcat grip feels a little better in my hand and I shoot all three about the same. The RDP online reviews are mixed with one saying he thought the compensator reduced recoil/flip by 10%. Continues to raise the question about the cost benefit of compensators on 9mm micro-compacts.

Pretty interesting. Makes you wonder what’s next?

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Roger Barrera did a nice video on it here:

If you want to speed up, at the 9 minute mark he shows the side-by-side of the Spectre comp, the Zev Z365XL, and the Hellcat RDP. He’s going to do a separate video later comparing all of his subcompacts he has the the shop. Compared to the Z365XL in the video, there is less muzzle flip from the Spectre Comp.

Posts: 4206 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. All said comp better than no-comp. Comp Spectre and RDP “ pretty close”.

Thanks for sharing.

posted Hide Post
Well, I just bought one today. If I hadn’t messed up the time for my Dr appointment I would have a range report.

Here’s what I can say. The slide cuts and bevels are very tastefully done. It would be easy to overdo, most do, but they are subtle and attractive. The optics plate move is genius. Love that feature. Don’t buy any X model until that feature migrates. The gold was too much for me. I traded out a flat black trigger fcu and swapped a silver coated True Precision barrel. I think slide cuts deserve some color and the silver is a good choice. Of course I swapped the grip for one of my grayguns one on sniper gray. I will post pics soon. If it shoots like it looks now it will be a beast.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of it, I believe the comp probably does help a little but, the price tag really turns me off.

Pedropcola, I gotta ask, what did you pay? They are going for $1500 on gunbroker right now, if you don't want to give an exact number was it over $1200?

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4523 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Florida gun exchange. 1199. Which I think is too high. I tried to break down the price by components and by my math that makes the slide 500 bucks plus which is insane.

The comp in slide feature really intrigues me though. I almost built up a Roland Special once. I ended up building the same thing on a CZ P10C. I have to admit I hate the comp on threaded barrel system. It makes taking the gun down nearly impossible. It adds an avenue for malfunctions if it ends up moving. I don’t like it and will never do it again on centerfire pistols. This seems like an ingenious solution if it’s effective.

It was nice to pull apart a different gun and just swap the barrel. It’s the same size as the 365 and 365X barrels. I never worried about compensator lifespan though. It is a disposable part. Now it’s not so disposable. More experienced comp guys feel free to chime in if I have to worry about this eating my slide away after a high round count.

Mine was born on March 3 so I got one of the early ones. Never a good thing with Sig.

I will start a separate thread with pics today. It’s easily the best looking 365 if you swap out parts. If you don’t its still not bad in person. Black is better though. I think they are trying to justify the ridiculous price tag.

The entire Spectre lineup is a joke price wise. You aren’t getting value for that extra 600 bucks. This is the only Spectre I would even consider because of my perception of value. The comp and the better optics cut. The slide cuts add cost, aesthetics, but not really value. I like this Spectre but even I can’t justify the price. I did it anyway because I really do wasn’t to try out this style comp. We shall see.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
It’s tolerable at sticker price, but there’s no way it’s worth paying over sticker for.

Posts: 4206 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well at 1199 I hesitated. Not for long though, it’s a really nice looking gun on person and the comp and optics cut are worth something to me. I’m not sure I would buy a spare at that price though. Lol

Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
Around here in St. Louis the Comp Spectre is going for $1199 and the Springer RDP is priced at $850-$899 but includes the HEX Wasp RDS already installed.

The Comp Spectres are going out the door within 3-5 days of arrival and the four largest gun shops each have at least one RDP in stock now. So price doesn’t seem to be much of an issue, surprisingly.

posted Hide Post
At 300 dollars cheaper and already have an optic they will sell a lot of RDP’s. They don’t interest me but that’s because I hate hate hate thread mounted comps on pistols. Did it once, will never do it again. I also like to pick my own optic. In this class I strongly prefer the Holosun 407/507k.

If money was an issue and I was ok with this comp the Hellcat is a strong contender.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The ones the figured out they could sell all they could make at a significantly higher price than a stock P365XL, which seems to be exactly what's happening. Some people may not like it, but bling sells.

quote:
Originally posted by Poppy6x:

And, what brilliant marketing mind thought to add a gold trigger, etc?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I think, in this case, it’s the slide comp selling this gun. The standard Spectre? Not sure on that one.

posted Hide Post
Yea I think you guys are over thinking the gold bling. It’s the worst part of this gun. The Spectre line held zero interest to me. I would never have bought a complete gun. Lightening cuts, gold TiN, distressed slide? Yuk.

I bet the Spectre line doesn’t sell all that well. It’s a lot of money for in reality nothing except aesthetics.

On the other hand, this Spectre Comp brings some actual features for the ridiculous price tag. The optics cut being separate is a huge win to me. The integral comp as well (as long as it is effective, we shall see).

Right next to my Spectre Comp was a vanilla Spectre with a big tag that read “hot price”. Exactly 100 dollars cheaper. Nobody in their right mind is picking that gun for 1099. You can buy a functionally identical XL for 600 bucks and add all the bling your heart desires and still save $$$$. Plus, as I said on my thread the TXG grip module is fugly as hell. It works but for north of a grand, for fucks sake, Sig should ship it with a WC or Grayguns module. Cheap asses.

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Thanks for letting me know the price you paid. At $1199 I'd consider it. I carry Federal 124gr +p HST's in my P365XL now, I would think the comp would tame it down a little. It's not a bad shooter now, but if I could make it a softer shooter it might be worth it.

I don't mind the gold bling. I wouldn't pay extra for it if it could be avoided but it doesn't look like you can get it without so.....

Yeah, I agree the standard Spectre is a turd for me, not interested at all.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4523 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The funny thing is I think the 365 runs rings around the Hellcat in general but at 1199 vice 899 including optic, the Hellcat is a steal. Not a Hellcat fan but if it is popular enough in that configuration it will drive down the price of these.

I did more math. Basic XL slide on Sigs website is 349. Add some more cuts on the top of slide, 50 bucks. Mill slide for optic plus plate cover, 150. Milling the comp inside the slide? Well, that is a tough one since nobody has done it as far as I know. Maybe 250? Anyway my 500 dollar slide is probably on the low side. I just hope this whole thing works well because I would love to see the slide comp become more widespread. I hate separate comps, have I mentioned that? lol

Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
So I took the plunge and got the Springfield RDP, paid $854 plus tax at LGS. Dropped off at the range on the way home to primarily shoot my new Sig P365 in 380 but was able to put a few rounds thru the RDP. I did not mount the Wasp RDS which comes separate in the RDP box. I was shooting right out of the box with no clean/lube, offhand at 21 feet.
I have separately posted how much I like the Sig 380 and here are some quick takeaways from limited RDP shoot.
1) Pistol shot to POA with no malfunctions.
2) Groups were 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 which is on par with my P365x.
3) As for the comp, I agree with some of the assessments on the web, I think there was a very slight benefit, call it 10%.
4) Pistol feels good in the hand, well balanced and not top heavy.
I have since mounted the Wasp and I’ll post further after the next range trip.

posted Hide Post
10%? They said 30! I’m taking mine back.

I still haven’t shot mine. In reality I always expect to be underwhelmed by comps. Yet for some reason I keep trying new ones. I hated my ported MP9 CORE. I built a Roland Special on a P10C. It works well but it wasn’t worth the squeeze. 10% sounds like a real number so thanks for your observation.

Thursday I can get to the range, hopefully I remember to take a pic or two.

posted Hide Post
Am I alone in thinking the P365's recoil is relatively mild and see no reason for a comp?

Posts: 111 | Location: Alabama | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post