SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    I don't need an expensive/upscale blued .38/357 target revolver
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
I don't need an expensive/upscale blued .38/357 target revolver Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It’s funny how many people would take $3000 worth of S&Ws instead of one of the finest revolvers in history.

Posts: 1326 | Registered: September 20, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s amazing how many people think owning a 3300 dollar 6 shooter makes them special. What use do you find this gun the best at? Not any kind of speed shooting. Not home defense. Bullseye and PPC? Seriously, where do you think this guns niche is? Shooting informally at paper for groups? There are better choices for almost every application unless you just enjoy pointing out how expensive your gun is compared to the one the guy next to you used to beat you with. Lol

Enjoy your revolver. Enjoy your hype. Enjoy a gun that is priced to the moon and is the finest revolver 1973 can offer.

Enjoy the import marks on a 3300 dollar gun. I tolerated those on 500 dollar police turn in P7’s. Not a fan on a gun at this price point.

We get it, you think it’s the balls. I don’t. Not at that price. Anybody buying at that price better enjoy their gun because they aren’t going to go up from there.

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
I wasn’t interested until I watched the TFB video on it. Now I really want one. The quality is through the roof on these and it’s robust enough for special forces use per its history. It is pricey, but it should be for what it is. 12+ hours of hand fitting and attention to detail. Art that functions is a win-win.

Yes, I almost bought one a few years ago, held off for some of the reasons the naysayers on this read reasonably pointed out. But, indeed, the TFB video -- and a few others -- got me going also.
It seems like the DA pull is the biggest concrete end result that will make it worth it for me.
Overall, it seems like the P210 of revolvers.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Report This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
It’s my money and it’s your money. Spend it where you like. Takes 12hours to assemble one. Sounds like some sloppy work somewhere. No mim parts. How many failures are “ you” aware of involving mim parts? There are a lot of quality guns out there. I just happen to prefer Sigs and S/W.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
It’s amazing how many people think owning a 3300 dollar 6 shooter makes them special. What use do you find this gun the best at? Not any kind of speed shooting. Not home defense. Bullseye and PPC? Seriously, where do you think this guns niche is? Shooting informally at paper for groups? There are better choices for almost every application unless you just enjoy pointing out how expensive your gun is compared to the one the guy next to you used to beat you with. Lol

Enjoy your revolver. Enjoy your hype. Enjoy a gun that is priced to the moon and is the finest revolver 1973 can offer.

Enjoy the import marks on a 3300 dollar gun. I tolerated those on 500 dollar police turn in P7’s. Not a fan on a gun at this price point.

We get it, you think it’s the balls. I don’t. Not at that price. Anybody buying at that price better enjoy their gun because they aren’t going to go up from there.

Hilarious

The people aren’t special, but the gun sure is.

You don’t know the first thing about it, so what’s your opinion worth? As far the price you keep mentioning is concerned, $3000 isn’t much at all to some people. It’s all relative.

By the way, I’m not even buying one of these. I already have two from the 70’s. They are fine and not because they’re expensive. I own Smith revolvers worth four times what these new MR73’s sell for. That doesn’t make them better. All I’m saying is people should have half a clue what they’re talking about before formulating an opinion.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
It’s my money and it’s your money. Spend it where you like. Takes 12hours to assemble one. Sounds like some sloppy work somewhere. No mim parts. How many failures are “ you” aware of involving mim parts? There are a lot of quality guns out there. I just happen to prefer Sigs and S/W.

So…...you prefer Sigs and S&Ws over something you know nothing about? That’s cool man.

I own the finest Sigs and S&Ws ever made and they’re very nice. However, those cost more than the MR73.

I love when people bitch about cost and downplay a gun due to it. It’s so funny and predictable.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, guys

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Sorry bac. Didn’t mean to downplay your gun. To each his own. I would not feel comfortable shooting a gun like that. Now if I could shoot a hand gun like that guy that shoots for S/W then yea I would have one ASAP.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
Sorry bac. Didn’t mean to downplay your gun. To each his own. I would not feel comfortable shooting a gun like that. Now if I could shoot a hand gun like that guy that shoots for S/W then yea I would have one ASAP.

It’s cool. My apologies also.

I do love Smiths and Sigs as you do. I love a wide variety of handguns in all price ranges from $400 and up, as I’m sure you do.

posted Hide Post
To the rear sight guy. That is just one goofy, non shooting gun guy, rear sight. It’s like some engineer tried to put every “feature” into that rear sight. Serrated, check. But not serrated all the way, just down low where it really doesn’t serve a purpose. White dots, check. Why do we want painted white dots to match up to a plain black front? No idea. Never heard of anyone ever wanting that combo. It seriously is the sight setup that someone who doesn’t shoot handguns thinks is a good idea. Ugh.

Manurhin. Update your gun. Lose the gold accents. Convince someone to make grips. Cut it for moonclips. Dare I say do a modern version that is an 8 shooter but retains the steel, blueing, and great trigger out of box? Bring the price point down to where people who actually will shoot it will buy it. Nothing I hate worse than guns that sit in boxes and never get shot because they are too “valuable”. I’m a shooter not a collector. This is a collectors gun at this point.

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure what gets a reaction here is *not* the price tag by itself. Lots and lots of things are more expensive, including celebrated firearms.

The emotion I, for one, get here is similar to when I reflect on the complete list of movies costing over $250MM to make. And who am I to judge -- most are extremely profitable, and finely-edited works of art. Made by the most sought-after craftsmen in the business. With only the absolute finest and seamless special effects.

Posts: 471 | Registered: February 15, 2004Report This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I like everything about it.

Hell, I've paid more for watches.

If it is as fine as claimed, I can't get a vintage Python for that money.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny to read how some people can judge while never ever hold or shot such a revolver.
Kinda……well…stupid.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
To the rear sight guy. That is just one goofy, non shooting gun guy, rear sight. It’s like some engineer tried to put every “feature” into that rear sight. Serrated, check. But not serrated all the way, just down low where it really doesn’t serve a purpose. White dots, check. Why do we want painted white dots to match up to a plain black front? No idea. Never heard of anyone ever wanting that combo. It seriously is the sight setup that someone who doesn’t shoot handguns thinks is a good idea. Ugh.

Manurhin. Update your gun. Lose the gold accents. Convince someone to make grips. Cut it for moonclips. Dare I say do a modern version that is an 8 shooter but retains the steel, blueing, and great trigger out of box? Bring the price point down to where people who actually will shoot it will buy it. Nothing I hate worse than guns that sit in boxes and never get shot because they are too “valuable”. I’m a shooter not a collector. This is a collectors gun at this point.

I'm not going to argue about the details of the gun, but plenty of people shoot guns that expensive all the time. I put 500+ rounds through a brand new $4000 Nighthawk 1911 over the last week.

I have a $4000 custom rifle with a $3000 scope on it that I mostly shoot at targets off a bench at the range, but I also carry it around hunting and knock it into rocks and trees.

I can understand not shooting (or not shooting a lot) a very rare or historic gun that you want to preserve, but I can't understand not shooting a gun just because it is expensive. What's the point in having it?

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Report This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd broken the fever and gotten well.

But I caught myself researching suitable holsters, speed loaders and speed loader holders.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:

I'm more surprised by the two right dot rear/ black serrated front sighting choice.

I've not seen that combo before. The logic of that combo is not intuitively obvious to me.

It does seem unusual to us but if that's what Chief-Warrant Officer Thierry Prungnaud had on his weapon, I'd be willing to try them out.

"Formed in 1973, the GIGN's missions include hostage rescue, threat surveillance, protecting government officials and, most notably, counterterrorism. Initially, the tactical unit employed Smith & Wesson revolvers, but the guns were unable to withstand the GIGN’s rigorous training regimen, which includes firing 150 rounds daily. The French pistol, however, could and in the unit's skilled hands has acquitted itself well.

Most famously, and mention nearly anytime the MR73 is, is the revolver’s role in the 1994 rescue of hijacked Air France flight 8969. The point man in the rescue, Chief-Warrant Officer Thierry Prungnaud, killed two of the four hijackers—members of the Armed Islamic Group of Algeria—and neutralized a third with his MR73. Mind you, this was with the entirety of the flight’s crew and passengers onboard. There’s little arguing Prungnaud’s skill in a tense scenario with ample opportunity for collateral damage, but his tool responded admirably, as well. Incidentally, he did earn seven rounds of 7.62x39mm for his efforts—and survived. Tough dude.

In this particular case, it’s likely GIGN Chief-Warrant Officer used his 5.25-inch barreled MR73."

https://gundigest.com/handguns...lver-heads-stateside

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post