SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P220 External Extractor Models
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P220 External Extractor Models Login/Join 
Uppity Helot
posted
I am contemplating getting a P220 again. Are the later production models with the external extractors generally considered to be reliable?

Also if I managed to score an earlier folded slide p220 with the original internal extractor, would Sig replace the extractor if it ever wore out?

Thanks.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:
I am contemplating getting a P220 again. Are the later production models with the external extractors generally considered to be reliable?

I'm not aware of any problems with the short extractor P220 from any generation.

quote:
Also if I managed to score an earlier folded slide p220 with the original internal extractor, would Sig replace the extractor if it ever wore out?

Internal extractor folded slide P220s haven't been made for a long time (almost 10 years). The parts well eventually run dry. Has it reached that point, yet? Asking SIG directly is probably best. Last I checked, they are still servicing these guns.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Thanks Q! That will broaden my range of good used P220’s to look for.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Weren’t their significant problems with some P220ST short extractor guns?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

That was with the P220 with the internal extractor, which is long.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have had extractor problems with my early production P220ST since new.After arguing with Sig, who denied a problem, They sent me a"bunch" of extractors so I could exchange them about every 800rnds.I kept all the old ones, just in case. I solved the extractor problem by putting the Sig away and shooting a CZ.
I will never buy another Sig after that experience.
Bruce Gray came up with a solution for the internal extractor problem.

Posts: 4626 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

That was with the P220 with the internal extractor, which is long.

Yep, you’re absolutely correct. Was the same design that caused problems in the X5

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajp3jeh
posted Hide Post
I lived this life. The old two-piece slides never had extractor issues. I broke various parts but never had to replace an extractor.

The one-piece stainless steel slides with internal extractor, the initial guns were fine. I had a "skinny rail" P220ST that ran and ran. The later models had problems. The first one that failed on me, died around 2500 rounds. The subsequent models tended to fail at 750 rounds. In a nutshell, that internal extractor required very precise heat treatment to work properly which the US parts could never match.

The stainless steel slides with external extractor have been 100% since they use the same proven design as the other one-piece slides.

AKA John E. Hearne

"Shoot deliberately" - Wyatt Earp
"Tache/psyche effect - a polite way of saying 'you suck.'" - GG
"The 8th Marines dominate an environment. You, with your pistol, merely exist." - GG
http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting excellence and realisim in combative shooting.

Posts: 1748 | Location: Northern Mississippi | Registered: November 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My P220ST was an early model with the rail that was made for a compensator. It was always one problem after the other.

Posts: 4626 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Knock on wood my early model “skinny rail” has never had an issue.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was under the assumption that the internal extractors were more sensitive to not loading from the mag. Since having to jump the rim was not in it's design parameter.

Posts: 58 | Registered: October 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roym:
I was under the assumption that the internal extractors were more sensitive to not loading from the mag. Since having to jump the rim was not in it's design parameter.

99% of the time why would you load a semi auto pistol without the mag? I mean I guess can see rare circumstances I have always taken care to load from a mag no matter the gun due to extractor fatigue or stress.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally never intend to load , other than from the mag

It was just my understanding that some , in the general public , as is true in most cases, did and earned the Sig with internal extractor this reputation...I may be wrong, it was just my assumption. YMMV

Posts: 58 | Registered: October 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post