SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Sig 365 Macro
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Sig 365 Macro Login/Join 
posted
So I went to the gunstore to try and unlock my free code to win the SA Prodigy package. I drove up and there was literally a line out the door. While I love free stuff, I won't stand in a line for a chance of free stuff. At least not that long of a line. As I said the other day, I also handled one and I think as 2011's (or whatever) go this one will sell well but they aren't for me.

Instead I turned around and went to my other gunstore. No giveaway, no massive line, my anti social tendencies were quieted by the peace and I checked their inventory. No Prodigy, no cool revolvers, not actually a great stock. What they did have was a Macro for 50 bucks more than the other place. On a whim I asked if they would match prices and they do and he did. So I brought one home.

Negatives first. I'm not even sure how much I consider this a negative but it definitely isn't a positive. The reports of stiff slide release with an empty mag installed are incorrect. With an empty mag installed you can't release the slide at all. Drop the mag, the release works fine, bullets in mag, same. Empty mag, the release doesn't have the necessary throw to overcome the follower. Odd but not a show stopper. Still odd though.

Positives. This grip module feels great. Certain guns have the controls in the perfect place to me. My Sig metal P series guns I have to really pay attention to thumb placement or I ride the slide release. Annoying and one of bigger reasons I don't gravitate to them as much as other guns. This Macro my thumb can't quite reach the slide release without a shift of my hand just like I prefer. My thumb also is in perfect position to hit mag release WITHOUT shifting my hand, also my preference.

The slide is basically identical to my Spectre Comp. It lacks the slide cuts but it has the same separate optics plate cover that is separated from the rear sight. Yay.

Trigger is the same as every other 365. The Comp looks great and from prior Spectre Comp experience it will work as intended. These mags will sell like hotcakes for reloads for normal 365's. It is kind of amazing how they got 17 rounds into this.

I laid it over a G19. It is smaller in every dimension except height. The mag baseplate is perhaps a little more than a 1/8 inch longer. They are angled differently though so it's close on the front and slightly longer on the back. Thinner of course.

In my medium hands without firing a shot yet, I can say I think this gun could easily replace any of my compact striker guns (G19, 320, P10C, etc). The grip size just fits my hand extremely well. My fingers wrap around a bigger chunk of grip. That is a good thing. For you bigger guys, it comes with 3 backstraps to fit you better. I suspect the complaints of it being too small will diminish.

One last complaint. It won't fit my 365XL holsters because of the picatinny rail.

This gun isn't a pretender to the Compact gun of choice pageant. It is a contender. 17+1 in a G19 sized gun, 1 inch thick, compensated, good controls, backstraps for those inclined, it's a winner in my book, big little gun jokes aside. On it's own merits its a good compact gun and a good sub compact gun if you choose.

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice review, thanks for taking the time to post it. I couldn't warm up to the original 365 because it was too small...this one might work for me. If they come out with a non-compensated version I'm probably going to have to give it a try.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear you. I might pick up a metal frame for this once the aftermarket guys step in. It’s a gun that is worth dropping the coin for that. I have an XL I bought last year. You get the longer barrel and it should be cheaper without the comp cuts.

I always fell into the no comps or ports on carry guns group. I don’t seem to mind them on my Spectre though and they do work. Like I said before I feel dumb for buying a Spectre Comp. This gun effectively makes you an idiot to buy that gun. I think they just killed their own gun with this one.

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new purchase. It's nice to have options. My son looked at one a couple of days ago and said it was smaller than he expected.
Where are the pics? Smile

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with mine, so much so I sold my P320 X-Carry the other day. The chances of me carring the 17+1 X-Carry over the Macro are just about zero.

Some folks in other thread are acting like the Macro is way to big yet they've never even handled one.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suck at pics but I will try tomorrow.

As for size, this thing is smaller than a Glock 19 in every dimension but one. Height. It’s close but it is slightly longer. It’s thinner, shorter, and holds 2 additional rounds. Just by handling it I can tell you it’s not going to shoot like a small tiny sub compact. The Comp is easily gotten around. Buy an XL slide and sell the Comped one. I bet you break even or make money. The comp is a bonus someone will pay for.

This gun is going to pleasantly surprise those who are willing to break their preconceptions.

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buy an XL slide and sell the Comped one. I bet you break even or make money. The comp is a bonus someone will pay for.

I would probably even trade an XL slide and 3.7" barrel/RSA for a comp'd slide and 3.1" barrel/RSA.

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I held one today. It feels really good in the hand. The 17 round mags fit a standard 365 as well. This is a very good idea/design. I would prefer the longer xl barrel/slide as well. Started out as a pocket type pistol, and now is a pretty serious contender for a slimmer all around edc like the size g19/320 compact, etc.

Posts: 166 | Registered: September 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once the X Grip adapter guys get going these mags are going to go like hotcakes. 10+1 with a 17 round reload is a pretty good setup for ccw.

I like the comp.

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
1 problem I have is finding spare mags. I've searched all over and have checked with all the LGS's and no one has any spare 17rd mags.

posted Hide Post
Patience. I doubt you will find any yet. They are coming though. They will sell every one they make.

I’m a manual safety 365 guy. As soon as Macro grip modules are available I will dremel a cutout for my Macro and make it a safety model. Scares me to do it before I can fix any mistakes with a new grip module though. Lol

I’m between ranges at the moment and only have the 2 mags or I would try this during a match. I have high hopes this thing will shoot very well for my hands. We shall see.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm very happy with mine, so much so I sold my P320 X-Carry the other day.

Your reaction was pretty much what I thought might happen, that the Macro will not only eat away at Glock 19 sales but cannibalize P320 sales as well. Well at least the P320 still has 30 round mags up its sleeves... Wink

Well if the magazine limits ever get overturned by the Fed courts, it would cool to finally see what all the fuss is about and then have a chance to shoot one without having to head over to Idaho first.

-MG

Posts: 1921 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Patience. I doubt you will find any yet.

Actually I was surprised I haven't found any because when I picked up my P322 (a few weeks after the P322 launch), extra mags were readily available. When checking out at the register with the P322, I grabbed 3 extra mags and within 2 weeks, after visiting other shops, I had a toal of 10 mags on hand.

posted Hide Post
The guy at the lgs said they had a bunch on order but none had come in yet. I too bought a 322and immediately bought another 6 mags. I want some spares for this gun. After I get a bunch of rounds through it it might become a bedside gun.

One more complaint. The pic rail is uselessly short for any of my lights. I tried the XC1 and X300 and not even close. So my first real complaint is you changed the rail which I can’t use without buying another light and because of the rail my holsters won’t work. Ugh. Not a huge ugh, but an ugh nonetheless.

posted Hide Post
Rumor is that Sig will soon release the P365 Macro Mini.

It will be 2 tenths of an inch shorter than the Macro.

Sig seemingly leaving no demographic behind with their endless P365 variations.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:

Oh stop. There's a place for the Macro. Not your deal? Cool move along nothing, to see.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The truly annoying part of this is that some people are literally ignoring the specs and content to just make jokes about making a big 365.

Go pick one up. Put it next to your Glock 19, the baseline compact pistol of the world. It is smaller in nearly every dimension except one and that is a tiny amount taller. It comes from factory with a separate optics plate, no need for an adapter for the RMSc footprint, good night sights, comped, 20% slimmer, and it hold 2 extra rounds. This thing is a shooter.

I took an extra 365XL holster I bought cheap used and did the hair dryer reshape so this gun has a holster. Pretty easy and it turned out very well. Then I grabbed my G19 and did a side by side printing exercise. This thing is slim. It prints far less.

Enough with the dumb jokes. You just might find yourself being beat at your next match with someone shooting one of these.

Who cares? Why the angst for a modular FCU that can go tiny subcompact or all the way up to 17+1 compact? By the way to get the Glock to 17 you have to use an extended baseplate. Spoiler alert, it then becomes larger in every dimension by a good margin and holds the exact same.

This is where the modularity train is paying off.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Go pick one up. Put it next to your Glock 19,

I haven’t posted in some time but felt like chiming in on this, as I completely agree. I have no dog in the 320/365 fight and hold no bias. With that said much like the original 365 you really need to handle a macro to appreciate just how small it really is and how remarkably efficient it is. In the hand it makes the Glock 19 feel positively bulbous in comparison and those 17 round magazines are positively cute in comparison to a Glock 19’s mags. I think we can all agree the Glock 19 or at least it’s general footprint has been the standard for a concealed “fighting” sized gun for a LONG TIME. So saying the Macro is some huge firearm is kind of laughable.

Like was said above, to compare it to a G19 IN YOUR HANDS and then make your observations.

There isn’t a lot out there in the shooting world these days that blows my proverbial kilt up as I am fairly happy with my comparatively old school ways but even I was pretty impressed with the 365 Macro. Good sights, modern features, great capacity, wicked efficient and fairly inexpensive IMO. I am not saying it’s the BESTEST EVA!!! or anything but I would hold your personal judgement until you’ve had one in hand.

My only practical concern would be do these 365 sized guns suffer from a long term durability standpoint vs something more traditional. I am not saying they do just questioning if the piper needs to be paid somewhere.

Words spoken from a person who embraces his inner Luddite more by the day.

Take care, shoot safe
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7620 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmo952:

Oh stop. There's a place for the Macro. Not your deal? Cool move along nothing, to see.

It's a joke. I'm just kidding around.

Sig obviously has a winner with the P365 series.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
A quick note in regard to the slide release.

I put out 4 new 365s today
2 Macros
1 380
1 Coyote Tac Pack

None would drop the slide with an empty magazine inserted.
I did not try any with a live round in the magazines.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post