SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My mother's duty P228
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My mother's duty P228 Login/Join 
posted
I've been meaning to make this a post for several years now. My mother took a job as a secretary for the local county police around 1986-7. She worked that for about a year before going to the academy and becoming an officer in 1988. I believe the county police had like 6 officers at the time.

She handled the women and children side of things while eventually becoming Chief until the department was merged with the sheriff's office. She retired there as the Captain in 2008 and gave me the P228.

For the first year she carried a S&W model 10. The other guys carried SIGs, I believe P226 and P220s. So in 1989 my father, a former game Warden turned Park Ranger, bought her a P228 from Kiesler Police supply in Southern Indiana. I wanna say it was around $800(huge amount of money for them at the time) and according to him, it was one of the first ones they had sold.

I'm going to try my best to post a picture so if I screw this up, bear with me while I figure it out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: crue-dell,

Posts: 341 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Great story, look forward to the picture. Right now it doesn't look like its coming up.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 341 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Great story and a beautiful '89 P228 with wear in all the right places.. Cool

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Nice 'JK' W.German P228 Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool story, and a great piece of family history.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1112 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Great story and a beautiful '89 P228 with wear in all the right places.. Cool

Thanks. I would estimate the rounds fired well under 500. You were the first person that came to mind when I decided to make this post.

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. P228's are classic firearms period. I've been carrying one of mine daily for months. I love it. Perfection....period.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great story and history. I was a big Kieslers fan when I lived in Ohio.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this. Appreciate you taking the time. That P228's history seems fitting for Sig's best handgun!

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
Amazing heritage. I love hearing about things like this. You must be very proud of her. Thank you for sharing.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
That’s excellent all-around!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thank you.
Nothing like a gun with a story.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Awesome story and nice P228. Sigs in the late 80s and early 90s were expensive when compared to a lot of other guns.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your mother was ahead of her time. In both her career and in choice of firearms. Big Grin

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Your mother was ahead of her time. In both her career and in choice of firearms. Big Grin

I agree. She was the only female on the force. I never once heard of her speak of men vs women or there ever being an issue with her being in charge. I can remember several times the phone ringing at 2a.m and one of her officers asking some silly question. Plus the guys definitely didn’t want to deal with the rape and abuse cases, that were not uncommon.

posted Hide Post
Very cool!!!

Posts: 241 | Registered: October 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Cool story. Very nice P228. Thanks for sharing.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Imagine one day being able to hand it down and say "This was Grandma's gun!"

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post