SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My mother's duty P228
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My mother's duty P228 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Here is a newspaper clipping I found, she would be about 34 years old

Here is a photo from 2 years ago at my wedding. I was 38, she was 65.

I will just make this a thread in honor of her, her birthday is in a couple days. I see her just about everyday, we take several walks a week. She is from Eastern KY, the daughter of a coal miner and moonshiner Big Grin

Posts: 341 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Great story of an interesting LEO and a top-notch Sig.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1553 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I agree with everybody else how it's a great story.

I'm certain she didn't let on about whatever struggles she came up against but that just shows her character.

Great story and what an example for her children.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Fantastic 228 and the family history to go with it. Be sure to preserve it all as it continues through the next generation plus.

Back in those days, Sigs cost about what they do now! When I started in 94, people thought I was crazy forking out $795 for my two tone 226 and that was after the employee discount from the cop shop I worked at, as the owner was also on the PD I was just starting at. I seem to remember the shelf price was $899.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun and love the story.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Does she still have the Model 10?

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:
Does she still have the Model 10?

Nope. In the early 90s my dad traded it for a Savage 20 gauge/22lr combo, that us kids used for squirrel hunting. He didn’t get rid of guns too often but the few I remember, I wish he wouldn’t. He was more into hunting rifles and shotguns.

Once he traded a Ruger 44 magnum revolver for a Rem 700 .243, which I still have, and another one was a Ruger P89 for a Mossberg 500, which I still have. The only other time, he sold his beloved 870 to cover the expenses of a hospital visit for kidney stones.

Posts: 341 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice gun, and a great story to go with it. Your mom is one tough lady....that was a hard time to be a cop, especially as a female. That was a great gift from you dad, too...that was a LOT of money for a gun back then...he definitely sprang for the best!

Cool that you mention Keiesler's. As a cop in Indiana, my first duty gun, a P229, came from there. My department bought it used and it went through a string of reserves before it got assigned to me. I ended up staying on and going full-time, and kept that gun until we switched over to the P320 a few years back. I bought it from the department, and still have it.

Posts: 8559 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
It is even better that you spend time with each other and enjoy a life worth living.

Tell her that everyone on SigForum wishes her a happy birthday!

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
What a great story. Thank you for sharing. Your mom is a badass. So awesome your dad got her such an iconic pistol which is now passed to you. Glad you see your mom often. Merry Christmas

Posts: 442 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Your mother must have been a great woman to do what see did at that time. Even today that would be a great accomplishment.

I bet she inspired a lot of young women. To see her thrive in a male dominant field at the time.

Neat you have her service piece. And a Sig is a bonus.

Glad she is still doing her thing Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool Mom- Congratulations.

$800 seems about right for the time period. Back then Sigs were uncommon and expensive.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool story about mom and gun

I bought my first sig a 220 with k kote and factory night sights for $805 in 1994. I would have gotten the 228 but my dad talked me into the 45. Took me years to get a German 228.

Posts: 4760 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Very cool story and 228! You guys should take that out and shoot it on her birthday.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
What a great story. It's funny, I got my 228 in 2008 and I didn't pay much more than your Dad did.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great story. Thanks for sharing. Love the p228.

Posts: 134 | Location: No Ca | Registered: December 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How neat.
My P225 went the other way. A lady deputy bought it for its single stack grip, but after a while learned she could handle a double stack and traded it in on a Glock like most of the guys had.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool story… one of the better posts I’ve seen in a while. I grew up in Louisville before moving just across the river to Southern Indiana when I met my wife.

Posts: 96 | Registered: March 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked the gun but loved the story. I'm from the era when there were few women on the Department, at least in the South, and still remember our first.

You must be real proud of your Mom.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post