SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Notes on the G48 and as an IDPA competition gun.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Notes on the G48 and as an IDPA competition gun. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I picked the G48 MOS because it had the rail and MOS to allow options. The primary intent for it to be a thinner carry gun vs. the G19 for long hours in the car and hiding under lighter clothes in summer temperatures. The G48 is 3/4 of a G19 I would say. The G48 barrel is just a touch longer, but the gun is shorter overall and thinner. The loss of 5 rounds with stock mags doesn't bother me and makes the spare mag easier to carry as well.

Currently, the only modifications to the gun are a 10-8 Performance connector,some grip tape on the front and rear of the grip and Sharpy on the sights to make them all black to see how I shot like that. The all black sights work surprising well, but the front is still too wide.

As a better and more entertaining way to test the gun and ammo combo, I've been shooting it in IDPA CCP division and similar type matches. I plan to carry some Federal 147gr HST ammo as I like my 147gr reloads in the smaller lighter guns vs the 124gr loads.
Using a JM Kydex IWB holster and a Blue Force Gear 10 Speed dual magazine pouch, I've shot a few matches. I'm also trying a NeoMag pocket clip mag carrier, but I don't use it for matches.

For the overall view, I shot the first match starting with 50 rounds of Federal 147gr HST. Gun shot well as expected, was sighted well and the recoil was decent but not unpleasant. Based on some online info, Lucky Gunner , this ammo should run about 980fps or so out of the G48 for a 144 power factor. A fair amount more oomph than my normal 124gr or 147 reloads in which I load for a power factor of 130 to meet USPSA/IDPA rules. After that ammo was gone, I shot my 147gr reloads which are slightly slower. They were better recoil wise but not significantly less so I like that from a familiarity portion. For IDPA, I use this gun in the CCP division and only requires 105pf ammo. I won't be loading special ammo for that, but it would be fun. 147gr bullet at 715fp!

I was able to chrono some ammo and this is what I got, all 10 round averages using the V0 muzzle velocity from a LabRadar, 75* day and about 4,800ft.

125gr Blue Bullets TC in .356"
5.0gr CFE-P powder
Ginex SPP
1.125" COL

147gr Berrys Round Nose
4.0gr CFE-P powder
Ginex SPP
1.140" COL

Federal HST 147gr: 982fps for 144 power factor.
Reloads with 147gr: 867fps for 127pf. I'll need to bump it up and will be using this load from Ultimate Reloader: Magic Subsonic Load
Reloads with 125gr Blue: 1093fps and 137pf.

I'm really liking this gun and shooting matches builds familiarity and confidence in the setup.
I have not attempted to shoot any groups with it, just to get a good idea of where it hits.

I did shoot an EX score on the IDPA 5x5 classifier however, first time I've done that with any gun.

Future work will include:
Shooting for groups

Installing better sights, mostly likely 10-8 Performance
I may try a red dot, but for competition anyway, puts me at a gear disadvantage against full size guns.
Buying a Streamlight 7A sub.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
I picked the G48 MOS because it had the rail and MOS to allow options. The primary intent for it to be a thinner carry gun vs. the G19 for long hours in the car and hiding under lighter clothes in summer temperatures. The G48 is 3/4 of a G19 I would say. The G48 barrel is just a touch longer, but the gun is shorter overall and thinner. The loss of 5 rounds with stock mags doesn't bother me and makes the spare mag easier to carry as well.

I've been looking at the G48 for my next purchase. I think you description above is spot on, particularly the part I bolded where you describe the G48 as being 3/4's of a G19.

In the end every handgun design is a list of compromises. Make it smaller and you have to deal with more perceived recoil. Make it larger and you have to deal with greater difficulty in concealing. Make it thinner an you lose capacity. In the end I think the G48 does a good job of balancing out the compromises.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Shooting this more and more and added a Holosun 407k 6MOA red dot with a CHPWS plate.

Shoots amazing!

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Nothing amazing but at 9yrd I was getting 6 plates down under 4 seconds, from concealment and a 90* turn.

I’m liking the dot on this gun.

posted Hide Post
Awesome to hear it is still working for you.

Are you using factory mags? Or, have ventured into either the Shield or the PWA offerings?

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post