SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What is the lightest snub-nose?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the lightest snub-nose? Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
While light weight is more comfortable in a ccw pistol or revolver, I want some flexibility in what it's capable of shooting reliably, and won't torture my hands doing so at the range. That requires a little more weight. I also want more than just the normal five rounds of a J-frame.

The KIMBER K6S works for me... https://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/revolver

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a 360J, which is basically a 360PD chambered for .38+p with a steel cylinder instead of titanium. I toyed with the idea a while back of replacing the cylinder with one from a .360PD, but decided against it. I've shot those, and I don't really see what it practically gives me that my .38 doesn't (a little more velocity, but a LOT more recoil and muzzle blast, and it's harder on the gun).

I can use traditional cleaning methods on my steel cylinder...I've read you have to be selective with what you use on the titanium ones. I also don't have to worry about bullet jump, and the 360J was half the price new of a 360PD. Light is nice, but after a certain point, you start to experience diminishing returns.

I run with the 360 in gym shorts or a hoodie pocket. It works..still bounces around somewhat, but I think it would still do that if it was 3oz lighter with a titanium cylinder. If you absolutely must have the lightest gun available, the 360 or 340PD are what you're looking for...just be sure that's really what you want before you plunk down the cash.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Take a look at those ruger lcr's.

I’ll second this.

The LCR in .38 Spl is 13.5 oz., so not the lightest, but pretty darn close. It’s rated to handle +P. I carry mine in a belly band when I ride my mountain bike, and I almost forget it’s there.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the s&w 342.

Posts: 828 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Ahhh the 340PD....the instant do it yourself carpel tunnel kit.

You can do endurance drills to prep yourself: Hold a tin can in your strong hand, drop a lit M-80 into it, and hold on tight!

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigFan:
quote:
Originally posted by mike56:
Take a look at those ruger lcr's.

I’ll second this.

The LCR in .38 Spl is 13.5 oz., so not the lightest, but pretty darn close. It’s rated to handle +P. I carry mine in a belly band when I ride my mountain bike, and I almost forget it’s there.

I too recommend these homely, lovable little Rugers. The .38 versions are not quite as small, not quite as light, but a damn sight EASIER on recoil than any alloy J-frame. And compared to a Scandium J-frame, the controllability of the LCR is far and away the superior firearm. So many people rip on polymer as being a 'cheap' material compared to metal but it works wonders on being a gentler shock absorber when the recoil gets a bit ornery. Plus its bone-stock trigger action plain leaves the standard factory Smith eating its carbon dust. Shoot them side-by-side and you WILL feel the difference.

The only real downside at this point in time is that LCRs can be downright difficult to find, harder than many of the S&W offerings. Unlike Smith & Wesson, Ruger only sells through distributors, and thanks to the demand on handguns those distributors are "allocating" pretty much all Ruger handguns these days so many dealers are often shut out unless they're willing to buy other less desirable stuff (not necessarily guns) in order to get access to any guns that are worth selling, including Rugers. The past few months I've had to play that game, but at least we've been able to get more Glocks, Rugers and the like back into inventory as a result.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post