SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Which is a better backup firearm >>>>>>>
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which is a better backup firearm >>>>>>> Login/Join 
posted
I usually carry a 9mm as my EDC. I am starting to carry a small sling pack as part of my EDC and have it some small items such as an extra magazine for me 9mm EDC, knife, water bottle, flashlight, protein bars, etc. You know the saying 1 is none and 2 is one. I was thinking of also packing a smaller spare firearm. My current choice of spare firearm to put in the sling pack is the S&W Bodyguard 380 6+1 with an (2) extra 6-round magazines or S&W 642 38 special 5-rounds with an (2) extra 5-round speed loaders. Which would you choose ??? Thank you for reading and giving choice and / or opinions. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Why not carry another 9mm? Look at the difference in ballistics between 9mm and .380/.38 special. That’s what convinced me several years ago to sell my 238 and buy a 9mm.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your reply. However because I already have these 2 as a choice for backups. God Bless Smile

quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Why not carry another 9mm? Look at the difference in ballistics between 9mm and .380. That’s what convinced me several years ago to sell my 238 and buy a 9mm.

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Then strictly between those two I’d go with the .38 special.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
What's your primary? Your backup should have the same manual of arms. But if this is a civilian CCW situation, I'd question the need for a backup.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I'd ask which you shoot better. Neither of those pistols are terribly easy to shoot quickly and accurately without quite a bit of practice.

When I carry a backup, it's a 642 in the front off-side pocket. I choose it because it fits and draws easily from that position. I carry it on my off side because that gives me the option if the strong side is injured. The downside to that is I have had to put a bunch of work into that gun to get anywhere near good with it. I ended up adding a Crimson Trace grip to it and that helps quite a bit as those already tiny sights keep getting blurrier.

Another thing to consider is this: it sounds like you are carrying off body. If that's the case, I'm not sure how much good a backup will do you. The chances of you getting the first pistol out of a sling pack quickly is pretty slim. The chances of you needing and being able to retrieve a second pistol is even more so. I'm not criticizing; that's just the reality. On the other hand, if you are forcibly relieved of the pack you've lost two pistols. Just something to consider.

I'd be happy to help in any way I can. Feel free to reach out.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kone
posted Hide Post

It was in my pocket either as primary or a backup to my Glock 26.

Now, all I carry is a 43 either AIWB or pocket.

NRA Life Member

Dan Wesson CBOB 1911
Remington 1911 Government R1
Glock 43 BFG w/ICE Claw night sights
Glock 19 Gen 5
Colt LE6920CMP-OD bullet button removed
Mossberg 500 20g 18.5
Mossberg 590 Shockwave 20g
Mossberg 500 12g 20
Mossberg 930 HD 18.5

Posts: 352 | Location: Near Northtown, Nevada | Registered: August 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My vote is for the Bodyguard. Very small and light, has better sights than the 642, and two extra rounds.

I picked up a BG a few years back and carried it as a backup on my ankle. I have a J frame that I have never carried at all. Just not a revolver guy, I guess.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bodyguard and the trigger on it is beyond horrible, so I'd vote for the 642, plus .38 special +p is a more effective round than .380.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 642.

Posts: 111 | Location: Alabama | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they both have their salient points.

I carry a 642 as an on-duty BUG and an LCP I as an off-duty BUG, both left front pants pocket. The 642 is marginally less concealable and I prefer to leave it in my locker so it's impossible to forget to bring it.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
When I carry a backup, it's a 642 in the front off-side pocket. I choose it because it fits and draws easily from that position. I carry it on my off side because that gives me the option if the strong side is injured. The downside to that is I have had to put a bunch of work into that gun to get anywhere near good with it.

Not questioning your choice of gun -- I have a 642 myself, but the idea of shooting it weak-side one-handed gives me the willies. That "bunch of work" must have been pretty painful.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
642. And you might also look at the LCR.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a civilian, if you actually need two guns you might want to change your lifestyle. There are better places to be.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a lot is stuff to lug around. Where do you live that you need all that?

I personally am not a fan of off body carry. I think it leaves too many opportunities for the gun to end up in hands it shouldn’t.

As for which gun, I don’t think it matters.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Between those two I'd carry the 642.

I have a few friends with Bodyguard 380's, none of them are reliable enough to carry.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
When I carry a backup, it's a 642 in the front off-side pocket. I choose it because it fits and draws easily from that position. I carry it on my off side because that gives me the option if the strong side is injured. The downside to that is I have had to put a bunch of work into that gun to get anywhere near good with it.

Not questioning your choice of gun -- I have a 642 myself, but the idea of shooting it weak-side one-handed gives me the willies. That "bunch of work" must have been pretty painful.

A little bit. Smile I took a class from Chuck Haggard at TacCon a few years back that really helped me get a handle on it (pun intended). It's all about the grip and trigger finger placement.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another vote for the 642.

its a hard gun to shoot well... but it helps fulfill the first rule of CHL:

the gun you have beats the gun you left behind

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post