SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    On the flip side of my other thread. What dogs of pistols have you been impressed with.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On the flip side of my other thread. What dogs of pistols have you been impressed with. Login/Join 
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Walter P22. Must be the second one ever produced. Has NEVER malfunctioned. No stoppages, erectile disfunction, cancer, dupystopian feelings; nothing. And that is with the 3" barrel. Also have the 5" barrel. Very, very accurate.

Of course, I probably just jinxed my self.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Russian Makarov

Bought one at a gun auction and while ugly as sin and heavy, this thing was a great shooter.

Posts: 33816 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I'd call it a "dog" but I am impressed by the surplus CZ-82 in 9mm X 18. I bought two of them some years ago when they were cheap and plentiful. I traded one for a shotgun a few years ago.

They are built like a tank and amazingly accurate.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4361 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diamondback DB9 - despite reports mine was accurate and reliable. I traded it but not for any problems. Great gun or atleast mine was. My only ding on it was it was unpleasant to shoot more than about a box of ammo as it is such a thin gun.

Dreyse 1907- I think most of the problems people report is that they are ugly but damn this gun can shoot. No failures that can't be traced back to ammo. Usually found cheap. WILL LIKELY FIRE IF LOADED WHEN DISASSEMBLED. We have firearms rules for a reason, I'm not deterred by this.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belwolf:
I don't know if I'd call it a "dog" but I am impressed by the surplus CZ-82 in 9mm X 18. I bought two of them some years ago when they were cheap and plentiful. I traded one for a shotgun a few years ago.

They are built like a tank and amazingly accurate.

I had one. I sent it to Dave Severns to get the hard hat treatment and recrown the barrel. It was a fantastic shooter. I sold it for 600 this year through my local shop.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Not exactly a dog, but by no means popular is one of my favorite pistols. The P220-9-eu. Single stack P220 in 9mm with a euro mag release. You can probably still find them for around $500. They are great guns that no one is interested in.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt Double Eagle! 1989.... go figure...
Lots of dislikes and critics out there. Haven't exactly shot much but has never failed. Pinched some others' trigger fingers but never my finger. Reset is pretty nice too. Makes for a super accurate fun bullseye gun. Never carried though.

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a dog, but a real sleeper - the Ruger Commander -sized SR1911. The pistol is accurate and stone-cold reliable. It far exceeded my expectations and isn't even hard to look at. I wouldn't hesitate to carry this one.

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have an Interarms Walther PPK/s that has been flawless since the day I bought it. I also have a Karh P380 that has been reliable as well.

Posts: 2960 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I don't know that I can call Makarovs dogs, since they're simply not popular as opposed to disliked. I certainly have a hard time understanding why they're not more popular, though.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taurus Model 85 snub. An idiot co-worker of mine insisted on shooting his with hot +P for years before it detonated like a hand grenade. As departmental armorer, I took custody of the various pieces and sent them to Taurus. Two weeks later, a new Model 85 was sent back to us.
So I bought one. Carried it for years and shot it often. Great little gun. Finally sold it to my friends wife, who gave to my friend for a retirement gift.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of g26s239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
I don't know that I can call Makarovs dogs, since they're simply not popular as opposed to disliked. I certainly have a hard time understanding why they're not more popular, though.

I really like my Makarov. I bought one of the slides with 3 dot sight from Makarov.com for it.

Posts: 1284 | Registered: September 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a pistol that this Forum has declared “dog” and may well be.
The R51 was returned and replaced by Remington 3 times.i kept the last iteration. When it fires, it is dead accurate! Every now and then the magazine falls off. Placing a magazine while the slide is not racked does not load a round in the chamber when racking the slide; and the slide does not go into complete battery without a gentle push from the heel of my left hand. It is beautiful looking; Not dog looking and very accurate.
To clean, it is a wrestling match to field strip.
I do love my R 51

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Bulgarian(!) Makarov. every time I shoot it, which ain't that often, I tell myself to shoot it more often.
Number two is a Beretta Tomcat. Only works with .32 SilverTips, and hardly shoots better than minute od paper plate at 20 feet, but alwayys shoots. Never a bobble.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bersa .380 with fixed barrel. That pistol was totally reliable and the accuracy was just uncanny. Not a bad DA trigger and recoil was nothing. A very nice pistol

Browning BDM. Not cheap, but not popular, and I don't understand why it didn't make it. Superb ergos, reliable, decent-looking, and an acceptable trigger. I sure dug that BDM a lot.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Two...

Taurus 85 my Dad gave me in '90 or '91, I think. Stainless, very smooth action, good trigger. Carried a lot, shot a little. Mostly carried as a BUG in an ankle rig on road trips. Went back to Taurus once because the firing pin spring broke. I need to pull it out of the safe and shoot it again soon; it's been too long.

Other one is a SCCY CPX-2. Bought on a whim, mainly because they're made in my hometown (Daytona Beach, FL). I liked the size and the DAO action, and inexpensive. Accuracy not great (although acceptable for intended close quarters SD distances) but I suspect it would improve once I got used to its long DAO tigger pull. A little snappy since it doesn't weigh much of anything, and the finger extension baseplates pinched my finger. The flat baseplates don't pinch my finger, though; weird... I'm keeping it, but I doubt I would ever carry it.

Oh, one more I just remembered...
After my dad passed in '08 my mom gave me most of his guns (my sister snagged his NAA.22LR mini revolver) which included a couple wonderful guns and one dog -- an FIE Titan .25 auto, with a gold-toned slide on a black frame. I have no idea what possessed him to buy it, except maybe to replace an older one in plain black that he had given to my older brother that, as I recall, was from the early '70's and of much better fit and finish. I think Dad may have slipped this in his gym shorts pocket when he went on bike rides around the neighborhood, since his EDC Ruger SP-101/.357 in a pocket would have pulled his gym shorts down to his ankles! Eek I've never fired it, but I need to, just to use up the box of ammo. Another one I keep for sentimental reasons.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taurus PT1911. The only 1911 I actually regret getting rid of.

Posts: 478 | Location: Arizona | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a SCCY CPX-2, for $155.00, new.
I have never had the slightest hitch, no failures of any sort.

Posts: 35 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Taurus 1911 owner: two in 9mm and one in .45 acp. No failures of any kind, mechanically; however, the front sight of one of the 9mms fell off during the first magazine at the range. Taurus shipped and fixed on their dime.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g26s239:
I like the Taurus Raging Bull 480 I shot. It is my friend's gun and he has moved several states away. We shot 325 grain Hornady factory XTPs and 400 grain hard cast flat nose ammo loaded to a nominal 1200 fps. The gun is pretty darned heavy which helped dampen the felt recoil. Some people don't seem to care for the Raging Bull model but the one I tried is pretty nice.
Agreed, my pals was 454 with barrel ports. Good looking revolver I must say. It didnt seem as frail as a N frame S&W. Damn snappy in 454 and we shot every brand available plus his mild to monster reloads. Accurate and I suppose that red cushion down its back strap gave a little comfort.

Posts: 17901 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post