SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Has anyone decided NOT to send their 320 back?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone decided NOT to send their 320 back? Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I won't be sending my range gun back to SIG. It has undergone GGI's action enhancement, and later installation of their PELT system. I feel that SIG would just undo/redo those mods, so I will patiently wait to see what GGI comes up with in this regard. In the meantime, it continues range duty in IDPA and Action (USPSA-style) matches.

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Just got mine back today, and I’m quite disappointed. The trigger pull is now consistently 7.5 pounds, and the reset is a bit longer than before. I also have to rack the slide almost entirely into lock back to reset the trigger, so dry firing is now more tedious.

Will the trigger lighten back up over time?

Posts: 3678 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I asked the gun shop owners around here and most said Sig 320 is still a big seller . I did see some upgraded ones new at stores and a few had a nice crisp trigger pull , some seemed like the striker did not have any power .

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:
Just got mine back today, and I’m quite disappointed. The trigger pull is now consistently 7.5 pounds, and the reset is a bit longer than before. I also have to rack the slide almost entirely into lock back to reset the trigger, so dry firing is now more tedious.

I have an older 9mm FS, it has the longer lightening cut in the slide adjacent to the location of the new cut which Sig makes when installing the new parts. Net result, their new cut will break into the old lightening cut, and it appears that the slide will have to move a lot farther before reaching reset. I had sent in my 9mm FS RX and 45 FS, and have compared the slides between the 9mm pistols after the RX came back. I fear that it will greatly extend reset on the older model if I were to send it in, and I use it with Snap Caps for dry fire practice, so don't see that working out too well. I also installed a GGI trigger on this one last year, and am happy with the pistol at present.

The 9mm FS RX and 45 FS which came back both seem fine to me, but I haven't put that many rounds thru them since they came back. YMMV.

Posts: 312 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Six of the darn things owned by family. Lots of money and effort was expended to get them to be close to good. SIG is almost certain to undo those expenditures of money and effort in an endeavor to fix a design error (to cover a very rare possibility). So far, the results of of the "fixing" (sounds like something done on the farm) are mixed and subjective. Eventually, someone will make a set of before and after measurements. Eventually, Mr. Gray may come up with a solution that does not impact use of his magic or the use of his magic trigger. Eventually, enough time will pass in which to make clear the situation. Continue not to drop a P320. The six are unlikely to be out of a safe anyway. Better, less-expensive, proven designs are available. The P320 had its "moment in the sun."

We all know of "fixes" that resulted in a less desirable pistol.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
Better, less-expensive, proven designs are available. The P320 had its "moment in the sun."

Jeeez. Melodrama much?

This is only the beginning of the life of this pistol, and if you're done with the P320, that's a bummer of a username.

quote:
Originally posted by Maestro:

What pull weight did it start with?

I really liked the trigger on mine, if it comes back with a significantly higher pull weight, I'll be disappointed. But, if I shoot it and it still shoots well, I'll be satisfied to carry it.

If I was just going to the range with it, I would have bought a full size or X-5, and probably wouldn't sweat the recall. I really do think that the people who must do the recall, is anyone who needs the gun for self defense or for their vocation.

There are lots of "unsafe" guns that go to ranges and back without incident. If that's what you do with your P320, or P320s, and you don't want to mess with something you shoot well, then don't.

Has anyone stopped to consider that people get all excited by a "Gen 5" Glock? Anyone care to remember, if they were actually shooting actively at the time, what generation of Glock had the drop safety problems?...

We're at Gen 1 P320, guys. It's a good pistol, I've had a blast shooting mine.

If what gets shipped back to my house is a turd, I'll be honest about it. But I'm more optimistic, pragmatic, and patient than it seems some are about this whole P320 business.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27006 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
This is only the beginning of the life of this pistol, and if you're done with the P320, that's a bummer of a username.

I know I won't be buying another. I know I would not be inclined to recommend it to anybody.

quote:
If I was just going to the range with it, I would have bought a full size or X-5, and probably wouldn't sweat the recall. I really do think that the people who must do the recall, is anyone who needs the gun for self defense or for their vocation.

I fail to understand why a range toy, which probably spends more time out of the holster, more time "in action," than a carry pistol--or even most duty guns, is any less needing of a safety "upgrade."

quote:
If what gets shipped back to my house is a turd, I'll be honest about it. But I'm more optimistic, pragmatic, and patient than it seems some are about this whole P320 business.

I'm neither optimistic nor pessimistic. I am concerned. My P320 is terrific just as it is. If I send it back (probably will--eventually) and if they fuck it up, it will be sold. And that will be that.

I've probably purchased my last Sig, anyway. I don't like any aspect of how this whole thing has gone down. Particularly Sig's solution. Bruce Gray's past comments aside: The "enhancement" sounded to me like a hack job when I first read about it and that opinion remains unchanged.

I try not to let vendors screw me twice.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i will not be sending mine back.

Robert's done work to two of the three and the other one was great from the factory by accident.

I don't feel that the pistol is unsafe so I see no need to bother.

Posts: 213 | Location: North Texas (DFW) | Registered: July 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I fail to understand why a range toy, which probably spends more time out of the holster, more time "in action," than a carry pistol--or even most duty guns, is any less needing of a safety "upgrade."

I'd refer you to that 90 or so page thread. Or see my previous comment. People shoot all sorts of "unsafe" guns, I have a few that are pushing a century old, and there are also competition pistols that are "unsafe," or are people shooting those with the Series 80 parts everyone hates?

It's easy to see, that not everyone will get the upgrade. Would you rather people CCW these, or take them to the range? How many people are dropping guns at your range?

quote:
I'm neither optimistic nor pessimistic. I am concerned. My P320 is terrific just as it is. If I send it back (probably will--eventually) and if they fuck it up, it will be sold. And that will be that.

I've probably purchased my last Sig, anyway. I don't like any aspect of how this whole thing has gone down. Particularly Sig's solution. Bruce Gray's past comments aside: The "enhancement" sounded to me like a hack job when I first read about it and that opinion remains unchanged.

I look at it this way:

Can I do anything about the P320? No. So I'm not going to worry about it. If it comes back and it's not good enough, I'll just carry the P225.

As far as purchasing Sigs, I have no desire to own a railed P22x, so they lost me when they started making all the P22x new guns with rails only. At least they ditched the dumb proprietary rail. The P250 and Pro never grabbed me either. The P320, I like it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27006 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a compact with manual safety and Sig straight trigger. I don’t plan on sending it back.

Posts: 399 | Location: Hartford, CT | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't want to send mine back, but I did. I then sold it as soon as I got it back. Sig's service was very very good, and my gun was back in my hands in 12 days, but I am terribly disappointed in the product. I first fired one while training with Sig for my current employer. I purchased my own P320c shortly thereafter, and it instantly became a favorite. My understanding is that Sig had originally intended to offer a trigger safety version similar to that of Glock which would have been desirable in my view, and precluded unintentional firing when dropped as described. The redesign/retrofit did not appeal to me.

Posts: 267 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd love to line up 5 non-upgrade and 5 upgrade and do a "blind taste test."

Personally I can't tell a difference other than the double click is gone.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1861 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
I'd love to line up 5 non-upgrade and 5 upgrade and do a "blind taste test."

Personally I can't tell a difference other than the double click is gone.

It seems like they're getting some of them right, some of them not so much. Witness Jim E's post, for example. I hardly think he dumped the gun he used to love so much "just because."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother sent his in. I got to shoot it over the holiday and I was very pleased with the trigger, I liked it better than my M&P 1.0 and the older Glocks I've shot. I didn't try it before he sent it in. I did not weight the pull but I'd estimate 6-8 pounds max and reset was better than my Smith. Your mileage may vary. I'm not a trigger aficionado.

Posts: 4592 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I call a little bullshit. For those of you who paid to have the fcu worked on disregard the next statement because I think your gripes have merit. This is to those of you who have basically stock guns and sent them in and now think they are shit. Bullshit. If they are actually shit send them back to sig to make them right or stfu.

I sent in 3 fcu’s and 4 slides including the dreaded long cut slide with lightening cuts. Test sample of 3 and a half. They each came back +/- about the same. No double click. Longer reset for dry fire on the long cut (more on that later). Pull weights indistinguishable from before. Didn’t use a trigger gauge because as each one came back I fucked with them next to unmodded guns. Without the skinny trigger and disregarding the lack of double click there is zero chance you could really tell them apart.

As for the long cut slides and dry fire. If I dry fire, hold slide to rear to simulate reset, the slide must be retracted almost all the way to lock back to get it to reset. If I dry fire and release trigger the reset distance is the same (short) as the non long cut slides. Easy workaround.

Like I said I truly think that the guys lamenting about stock guns coming back horrible are being nancies. They were pissed about the whole episode and they aren’t going to be happy. Period. Ten of us shooting these “horrible” modded guns would shrug and say they feel like a 320.

I am going to get crushed by those of you I am calling out. That’s ok because my first question which I believe I already know the answer to is, “Did you give Sig a call and get a return label?” No, you didn’t.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
I was not going to comment here, but saw Grayguns was mentioned.

To clarify: Grayguns Inc. recommends that our previous action enhancement gunsmithing customers stop using P320’s with our action work, remove and retain all GGI triggers, sears, safety cam plates and springs as may be found, and send their P320’s directly to SIG for the voluntary upgrade.

The Grayguns P320 Free Exchange Update Program will be implemented shortly, and we’ll be disseminating detailed information and instructions on how to participate. (Yes, I’m shooting videos on obsolete parts removal, and updated parts installation intended for qualified armourers and gunsmiths.) Because the voluntary upgrade now makes a true drop-in competition action enhancement kit practical for us, your upgraded P320 does NOT need to be returned to Grayguns Inc. for full restoration back the enhanced action performance you have enjoyed.

We are building up our stock of voluntary upgrade-compatible parts to minimize further delays.

Grayguns Inc. will exchange, free of charge, all of our original PELT triggers, competition sears, safety cam plates and springs with newly updated components which provide comparable or better performance featuring improved feel, reset and reliability, while supporting the voluntary upgrade’s enhanced rough handling characteristics. We will exchange these free of charge, and will include a little gift certificate for the grayguns.com web store as a “Thank You” for your patience (and positive application of critical thinking).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Grayguns,

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
vomuntary

Bruce, I think spellcheck let you down or I missed an (shouldnt this be ‘a’?) new industry specific word.

I fixed it. Was my meaning clear? -B

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
No, just trying to help. I'll delete my response and it'll be like it never happened Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Vomuntary: good deeds which induce nausea

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be a hoot if that word makes it into the 2019 edition of WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY... Big Grin

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post