SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    After four years I finished my Hi Power rescue gun (pics)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

After four years I finished my Hi Power rescue gun (pics) Login/Join 
Picture of submoa
posted Hide Post
Thanks for resurrecting your MkII DF...and compliments for the manner in which you accomplished that, job well done Cool.

Posts: 1273 | Location: South Florida, A Third World Country with Modern Conveniences | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Thank you again, gents. I like the term 'resurrecting'. It was a pleasure really. It is an aspect of the gun world I hadn't considered before and one I have sort of stumbled upon. This is my third sort of mongrel rescue. I like the result of adopting and loving one back to health then placing it on the shelf next to the rest of the collection. Smile

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you shot it yet? I'd be interested in seeing how it shoots now...…. You did a very nice job on it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I haven't had a chance to fire it. My plan is to go today after my chore list is done. I have 3 pistols in my collection I haven't shot yet. I'm hoping to resolve that today.

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Just a bit of follow up...I took this pistol out to the desert yesterday to function test it. Looks like there's a fly in the ointment. Not just any fly, mind you, it's a curious fly. What happens is that I cycle a round in the chamber and squeeze the trigger. It goes bang. I squeeze the trigger again and nothing happens. Feels like it's out of battery but the slide is all the way forward. If I pull the slide back even a 1/4 inch and manually move it into place, it will fire as normal. This happens on each following round on occasion I'll get two to fire in a row. I separated the slide from the frame to be sure the trigger lever is functioning properly now that the mag safety is gone. It does appear to be working right. I'll have to goof around with this some more. It's a curious deal. When I cycle the slide manually the trigger trips the hammer every time...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Just a bit of follow up...I took this pistol out to the desert yesterday to function test it. Looks like there's a fly in the ointment. Not just any fly, mind you, it's a curious fly. What happens is that I cycle a round in the chamber and squeeze the trigger. It goes bang. I squeeze the trigger again and nothing happens. Feels like it's out of battery but the slide is all the way forward. If I pull the slide back even a 1/4 inch and manually move it into place, it will fire as normal. This happens on each following round on occasion I'll get two to fire in a row. I separated the slide from the frame to be sure the trigger lever is functioning properly now that the mag safety is gone. It does appear to be working right. I'll have to goof around with this some more. It's a curious deal. When I cycle the slide manually the trigger trips the hammer every time...

I had the same problem and fixed it with an extra power trigger return spring from Wolff.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K.O.A.M.:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

I had the same problem and fixed it with an extra power trigger return spring from Wolff.

Thanks for the tip! Will try that. Gotta love SigForum Big Grin

posted Hide Post
The BHP is one of my favorites. I packed one for 30 years as a cop in Chicago. The first 3 years were against regs, but a lot of guys carried 1911s or even S&W semis as "alternate" weapons-you still had to pack your 6 shot .38 Special. In '68 they loosened up a little(primarily because the Illinois State Troopers got S&W 39s). I started packing my BHP fully loaded, cocked and locked. In a crowd or potential gun grab situation, I just lowered the hammer to half cock and put the safety back on. That would give any gun grabber absolute fits trying to go bang while I would have my J frame out & working. Later I carried the 940 J frame in a leather lined pocket (had one in all my uniform and all my CD outfits)found out one could reload the first edition 940 by thumbing 9mm rounds out of the BHP mag-at least once. Then a local guy made a leather wrapped tube that carried 3 extra 940 clips very easily and could be belt or pocket packed-still got it and still use it. With the BHP, one extra mag, and said tube I had 25 rounds for the BHP and 20 for the 940; lots of ammo for those days, actually not too bad for today either.
All my BHPs had the mag disconnect removed and with some of the newer mags can get 2 17 round mags(I usually only pack one extra). That is still 35 rounds ready to go, and from what I consider one of the timeless great handguns of all time. Wunder nine capacity with 1911 accuracy and trigger pull(with a little work of course).
I even got a BHP 40 with a .357 Sig conversion barrel and at the cost of a round or 2 have a really accurate thumper.
None of mine are really "rescues" but I am on the lookout for one that needs rescuing, would make an interesting project.
Congratulations on preserving one of the great ones.

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post