SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Thinking of adding a magwell to my duty Glock 45. Glock OEM or Sandstorm Precision?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of adding a magwell to my duty Glock 45. Glock OEM or Sandstorm Precision? Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I have Sandstorm precision on my G48 and G19.5. I like them. They are small, light and not flimsy.

I found the Glock OEM magwell that I didn't even know existed. I like that it uses the lanyard hole in the rear of the grip and still has a lanyard hole. I have read some reviews and many claim that it is flimsy while others say the fit is great.

Both are approximately the same price. I kind of hesitate to put a magwell on my duty gun (I know I can remove it if I decide I don't like it). I know it will add some size and I'm not sure that it will be beneficial.

I would like thoughts/suggestions of my brethren here. Should I add a magwell to my duty weapon? If not, why not? If so, which one and why?

Sandstorm magwell

Glock OEM 50431 magwell

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BennerP220,

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
We are still carrying Gen4 Glocks where i work. I’ve been using a Magpul magwell on several different duty guns over the last 5+ years. I really like the slightly added length and the way if forces my pinkie finger into place in the compact guns.

I can’t speak to either of the specific magwells you listed, but in general, I say yes, you should add a magwell to your duty gun.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Phred. I decided I’m definitely getting one. I just gotta decide which one. I used a magpul on my gen 4 17 that just retired. I did like it.

I am leaning toward the sandstorm.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Maybe get both? Karma off the one that you don't use.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
That is a good idea, Nismo. I do need to do a karma very soon anyway.

posted Hide Post
Are you going to have to change the base plates on your mags?

I tossed a magwell on my -21 for about 37 seconds. Mags didn't clear the magwell, and the "Pierce +2" on a G-21 SUCK.

(3rd time I dropped a mag, and it hit the floor: PINGGggg... The baseplate fell off, spring sprung and had to search for that damn baseplate...)

I might look at the aluminum baseplates one of these days.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Good question. No, base plates OEM and extended will all work.

quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Are you going to have to change the base plates on your mags?

I tossed a magwell on my -21 for about 37 seconds. Mags didn't clear the magwell, and the "Pierce +2" on a G-21 SUCK.

(3rd time I dropped a mag, and it hit the floor: PINGGggg... The baseplate fell off, spring sprung and had to search for that damn baseplate...)

I might look at the aluminum baseplates one of these days.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Magpul magwell on my duty gun gen4 31 for a few years with no issues. Modified the backstrap to fit the magwell.

Vickers baseplates will not work.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8017 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the suarez international aluminum variants. Nicely made and fit well. Believe they were around 40 last month on sale, usually the only time I buy things like that.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Have you tried sitting in a squad with the magwell on your gun yet? I don't have one, and the way the idiots at Chrysler designed the side bolsters in my Durango, there's no way I'd want my grip any longer than it already is. I can't believe it hasn't dug a hole in the seat yet, honestly.

Posts: 8559 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I thought about that. I carry my duty rig forward of my hip so the well shouldn’t be a problem. Extended mags might be. I know what you mean though. Good point!

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We’re driving Fords. No issues with the magwell. My issue is the holsters. I cut the bottom off mine.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8017 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
We have Fords too. I just got a new Safariland that makes the bottom of the holster flush for my G45/TLR7.