SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    365 SAS owners, please weigh in on your experience.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

365 SAS owners, please weigh in on your experience. Login/Join 
Picture of Eagle1
posted
Guys, I have read the previous posts and am really getting close to buying a 365 SAS model. I have done allot of research on this weapon system and the sights seem to be an issue for some. Let me say that the reason for my attention to this model is the fact that it will carry perfectly in my fanny pack when I am jogging and/or running like I do 4-5 days a week. I have always used a J frame M&P340 but wanted something a little more powerful with a few more rounds. I am currently carrying a 365 NRA standard model and it is working great with my pack except for the rear sights which sticks up and catches on the zipper when I try to get the gun out quickly. Now you know why the SAS seems to be something that would satisfy my issue since the top of the slide is basically smooth due to the standard sight delete on these guns.

I am not trying to make 25yd shots so this SAS seems like a great choice. How have some of you guys that have owned them for awhile still feel about the gun? I know the sights are something to get used to and know the ability (or lack there of) of this SAS model but it seems that it will fill the roll I am looking for perfectly.

Would love to know the pros and cons from you guys that own one please. Thanks in advanced..

My current NRA gun has actually held up the last couple of weeks regarding sweat and such and am wondering if the standard nitron SAS version would be the same or worse in this area. Am also thinking that it would fit the role of pocket carry if and when I needed to do that.

---------------------------------------------------
In God we trust, all others are checked through NCIC.

Certified OPOTA Firearms Instructor, Taser Instructor and Glock Armorer!

Posts: 1734 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it harder to pick up the sights on the SAS. It would take more practice than I'm prepared to invest, as I have a standard 365 as well. I like the compensated barrel, although I'm not sure it is available on the current models.

Overall, it's a matter of personal preference.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I had difficulty picking up the sights from the draw. I sold the pistol

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked up a complete SAS slide on eBay for around $250 some months back. It’s ok, something different I suppose, but I prefer the standard sights. I don’t like the slide release on the actual SAS model because it’s nearly impossible to use.

But sounds like it’s very short range and rear sight is giving you issues so it’s still a higher capacity option than a j-frame and probably equally as crappy sights

Posts: 1307 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eagle1
posted Hide Post
OK, I just left the fun shop after checking out the SAS. It would point upward for me when I tried to point shoot it or handle it in the shop. Trigger was not the best either but that would probably iron out over time. It was a neat gun and idea but after watching multiple reviews and it getting allot of bad press on that sighting system, I went another route and I am glad I did I think.

I actually bought another 365NRA over the SAS as I did not want to try a gamble on a $600.00 gun again like I have on others in the past. I know the NRA Sig is good cause that is what I am using now. These little 365.s are addicting man.. Plus the NRA gun was $40.00 less and came with a 3rd mag, whats not to love here..

Posts: 1734 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Might a new fanny pack, with a teensy bit bigger gun compartment be an easier, cheaper solution?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Might a new fanny pack, with a teensy bit bigger gun compartment be an easier, cheaper solution?

That's what I was thinking too.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eagle1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
quote:

Well that easier said than done and only being able to order stuff over the net causes and issue as most if not all will not work cause its too big or will bounce around. I actually looked at the gun today and it was neat but it still pretty much does the same thing with that flat sight so I think I am sticking with the NRA version at the moment since it is working. Fanny packs are worse than holster shopping in my opinion as you have to find the right setup that works with your weapon pick. Thanks for all of the help and I will be getting out a post with all of my findings in this regard.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Maybe a different carry method? Maybe a belly band or similar? Also self supporting, held tight against the body, not bouncing around when you run. Don't know if it would work for you, but might be worth a try.

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle1:
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
quote:

Well that easier said than done and only being able to order stuff over the net causes and issue as most if not all will not work cause its too big or will bounce around. I actually looked at the gun today and it was neat but it still pretty much does the same thing with that flat sight so I think I am sticking with the NRA version at the moment since it is working. Fanny packs are worse than holster shopping in my opinion as you have to find the right setup that works with your weapon pick. Thanks for all of the help and I will be getting out a post with all of my findings in this regard.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I purchased my 365 my LGS offered a choice of both SAS and standard. One look down the slide of the SAS and I knew it wasn’t for me. I don’t think I could ever get used to the sights. Be certain before you buy!

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sight was near impossible to pick up in the dark! Had I not traded mine, it would have been a perfect RMR candidate. 25 yard shots were actually very easy if you took your timeSmile

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
I had the SAS model for a short while. Found I just couldn’t pick up the “sights” fast enough and found they were totally useless in a dark room. After a few range trips I started to ignore the sights and concentrate on squaring up the end of the slide and leveling it at eye level. I once had a Kimber RCP which had only a trough, no sights at all. And this is the technique that worked for me with that pistol. Results in both cases were acceptable at 5-7 yards with good light. But, in the end the range and light limitations - and availability of many guns without such limitations - led me to sell them.

Sigs, HKs, S&Ws, Rugers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Colts

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Eagle1
posted Hide Post
I keep kicking around whether I am going to get an SAS cause I really feel that it will fill a role that I need it for. Decisions, decisions. Knowing that it will not be a bullseye shooter like its counterparts, I only need something for my running bag and it will work perfectly for that mission. More to come here...

Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
Perhaps if I insisted on pocket carry SAS would appeal to me, but I carry in a plastic holster with a dedicated sight channel so I have no need for compromised sights.

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the SAS - have had it for a few months now. Have somewhere around 500 rounds through it. It does take some getting used to but I find it to be very quick on steel plate shooting. Its honestly more difficult for me when I move to paper targets and try for an excellent group. However, shooting at steel and making sure it hits I'm quite happy with it. I've got other guns to use if I want to shoot for groups on paper. Its very easy to carry, not saying that a regular 365 isn't. Also, mine is very bright in a dark room so I haven't experienced any of the issues some have mentioned about not being able to see the site at night.

Posts: 3 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 03, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post