SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    half round punch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

half round punch Login/Join 
posted
where can i get a half round punch to disassemble a 2011 sig p229 slide.looked about every where and out of stock or discountinued.

Posts: 9 | Registered: November 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

If you can't find this punch, I suggest you call Alex at AB Prototype: www.ABprototype.com

When the company was located in San Diego, Alex made a couple of P320 slave pins for me. I use the slave pins to remove and install the complete Striker assembly as one piece into the FCU vs. installing the sub-components inside the FCU one piece at a time.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can't find one for sale, it might be easier to make one yourself with a round punch and a file.

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Looks like it would be easy to make with a disc sander or grinding wheel using patience not to overheat

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks everyone.probably will make one.

Posts: 9 | Registered: November 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
having made several if you have access to a mill its trivial. Second best is a bench grinder. IT will be a long project with a file.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
^^^ This.

A lot of us trained in some mechanical arts pick up the previous generations solutions - because there was no such tool available to them. Didn't mean they couldn't fabricate it.

I have a small collection of one off tools to fit certain difficult applications. They are slowly piling up in a tool box drawer, I sometimes look thru them to remember what the problem was. Wrenches bent with heat to a special angle, or ground to fit the first 9mm nut I found on a car that was half SAE and half metric. Fairmont/Zephyrs forced that.

For an older generation, the bench grinder was the Dremel of it's day, with a wire wheel on one side it cleans up a lot of small parts.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
I was able to make my own, using a 3mm punch that I ground down. It works great!

““My mother always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana.” —Betty White

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post