SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Look What Someone Did To This C-Series Hi Power (Question re: Chrome/Nickel Removal)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Look What Someone Did To This C-Series Hi Power (Question re: Chrome/Nickel Removal) Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
I rescued (maybe) this 1969 C-series Hi Power from the consignment case of my LGS. As a vintage conversion, it was machined to accept a rear revolver sight, stippled on the grip straps and refinished in chrome or nickel. While the original custom work and refinish appear top tier, at some point the sights were removed and a number of holes were poorly drilled in the slide - possibly to install a full rib sight. My plan is to have the slide restored as much as possible by having the holes welded up and suitable sights installed. I'm assuming this work will require the removal of the existing finish with some type of refinish. Can anyone tell from my photos if this is chrome or nickel? (Note it's beginning to bubble near the muzzle on the left side of the slide.) Can this finish effectively be removed? If so, what method will the gunsmith likely employ? Thanks for the advice.

Posts: 3569 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Looks like nickel to me, but that's not definite.

I bet these guys can do the work: https://microarcwelding.com/

About five years ago I had a slide with a couple pieces chipped out of the rail area.
They filled them with the micro arc welding and then even matched the stainless bead blasted finish of the slide.
Seem to recall they weren't too costly, either.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like that slide was fitted with a S&W adjustable rear sight in the past. I would probably return one to the slide it that is what was there.

Posts: 6717 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
As someone who doesn't know the value of a C-Series Hi Power, is all this restorative work worth it, financially speaking? Are these historically significant? Seems like a lot of effort to go through.

Posts: 17673 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a shame. I am sure it can be fixed but at what cost is something else.

Posts: 7072 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
. . . is all this restorative work worth it, financially speaking?

Probably not. After doing some on-line searching, I discovered fresh springs and roll pins from BHSpringSolutions will cost $50. A compatible S&W revolver sight would set me back another $50 - $75 and that doesn't address the front sight issue. While original Hi-Power pistols of this vintage are currently in demand, it is unlikely this one one would ever have value above its utility as a shooter. Once I get an estimate for the repair work, I suspect locating a correct slide with sights will be a more cost effective option.

Posts: 3569 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
What would possess someone to do that? Frown

Posts: 9243 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
What would possess someone to do that? Frown

Some people just shouldn't own guns.
Damn shame what they did to a perfectly good gun. Confused

There's thousands of beat up BHP's that someone can muck up.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8548 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
High Powers were imported for decades. A long time ago- in the period when that pistol was probably modified- High Powers were far from uncommon and were not revered in the collector sense we have now for them. They were appreciated for the fine pistols they are but if an HP got modified in the manner of the pistol we see in the photos, it wasn't a travesty, because there were lots of them.

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
Can't really tell from the pictures. Does it seem to have a yellowish hue or a clean silver? If yellowish - nickel. If clean silver - hard chrome.

Both hard chrome and nickel need a chemical strip.

Posts: 6786 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't see how you could weld the holes without messing up the heat treatment of the rest of the slide. Maybe TIG and heat control paste, but even that would be doubtful Then the area would need to be machined smooth again. And nothing can be done until the plating, whatever it is, is removed.

Posts: 28685 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I suspect that once upon a time it had a Bo-mar rib.

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/pictures.cfm?i=7969897

But whoever did it, did it poorly. Straight lines were not their strong suit. Wink

Posts: 21373 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be shopping for a used slide and go from there to complete the project.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16390 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Almost certainly, you're correct.

Posts: 109158 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Old school comp gun with that hand stippling and rib. Looks like something APW/Cogan would have done. Cogan hand stipples just like that...

apologies for the FB link but you can see Bob's work https://www.facebook.com/APWCO...eos/1432485536861257

Posts: 3165 | Location: Loudoun VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Screw holes look torn out. They're really meant for shooting softball bullseye loads, but even then.. If you don't keep a constant watch in their tightness, the screws will strip out, tear out, wallow out, snap off, and the very heavy, very sharp rib will smash you in the face. This I learned the hard way.

Not having been clean shaven in near 30 years, I can't be sure if it's still there, but I had a three pointed scar under my nose where the corner of the rear sight hit me. It destroyed my shooting glasses and the front sight took a chunk out of my forehead. Not a fun time. I had it repaired and it started to do it a second time. The "softball" part was lost on me at the time. After that it only got puff puff loads and constant vigilance. .45, not 9mm.

Posts: 21373 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1374 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Almost certainly, you're correct.

While the rib had long taken a hike, an Ace trigger shoe was still attached; further indicating the pistol had been set up for some type of competitive shooting. Given the high quality of the other custom work, the apparent amateurish nature of the rib installation is somewhat surprising. The misaligned hole above the ejection port is especially noteworthy. Assuming the mounting holes on a Bo-Mar rib were pre-drilled, perhaps a previous owner drilled and tapped an additional anchor point once the rib began to loosen with use (as highlighted by cas).

posted Hide Post
You can buy a slide for less than it would cost to fix this one.

If you wanted to use it at lowest cost, have the plating stripped, put on a S&W rear sight and a front sight to suit. Put filler screws in the empty holes and apply spray coating.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
You can buy a slide for less than it would cost to fix this one.

If you wanted to use it at lowest cost, have the plating stripped, put on a S&W rear sight and a front sight to suit. Put filler screws in the empty holes and apply spray coating.

solid advice,

or buy a bomar or similar rib and make a wad gun

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10589 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post