SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any love for the P227
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any love for the P227 Login/Join 
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Thanks Troop! Makes sense now. I think the panels look better, but the E2s work well so I was just wondering. Big Grin

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2774 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read some place about a warning to watch out for nasty fumes when you cut or ground down these grips. Took about 6 months to get the smell out of my garage.

Strange. I never had this issue when I took my dremel tool to it. And it was done in my tiny man cave.

Q

Posts: 26426 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to come back and post in this thread.

The day this thread started, two P227s on GB. One of them was carry version.

The next day, both gone….

Coincidence……?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2508 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
The 3.9 inch barrel Nitron Carry version of the P227 is a vastly underrated Pistol.
Everyone loves the P229.
The shorty P227 is nearly identical. No Love ?
Is it the rail that makes it a red headed step child ?
I think that just 10 rounds & .45 ACP creates a bias .
Cripes , with another mag. with primo ammo, that’s all you need.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 186 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
^^^

Shop for the SAS version as it has no rail.

Posts: 9160 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TexasRaider
posted Hide Post
I got very lucky and got a P227 Elite off an second tier auction site for about half what they're going for on Gunbroker...until I got it and saw "Why so cheap"...

Someone had opened the slide, left an empty mag in the pistol and apparently submerged it into a barrel of something akin to a stew of cosmoline, hydraulic fluid and dirt, for maybe a day? It took many, many hours to get everything clean again and get that funky smell off of it.

But in the end, it was worth it. I think it's one of the best full size duty pistols Sig ever made. If one was going to carry a .45 caliber DA/SA, it'd be hard to find something better than one of these.... the beavertail feels great, as does the radiused undercut at the rear of the bottom of the trigger guard.

Posts: 808 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: June 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Indiana State Police used these as a duty weapon for a while. They may have discontinued there use when Sig stopped supporting them.

Posts: 426 | Location: Michigan | Registered: September 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
Pennsylvania State Troopers will soon be giving up their P227’s . 10 years is long run for those who choose the sidearms. Pa has had a rep. for being judgemental & perhaps “ Fickle”.

Posts: 186 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
^^^

Naha. It looks like somebody shaved it !

Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CLEANDEAN:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
^^^

Naha. It looks like somebody shaved it !

Yeah well, they kinda did! I've always liked the SAS pistols they look much cleaner without the rail. Cool

Posts: 2774 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
All sardonics aside, I was looking for an SAS.
The railed 227 Carry was in the stores case. Evil princess said she would put it on her card .(Birthday Gift)
Compromise done & no more shopping. Bedside pistol bought. Really happy to have a gun with a high level of intrinsic accuracy ….1st time out.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
I read some place about a warning to watch out for nasty fumes when you cut or ground down these grips. Took about 6 months to get the smell out of my garage.

Strange. I never had this issue when I took my dremel tool to it. And it was done in my tiny man cave.

No smell when I did mine, but I did get warned about the need to wear a respirator/dust mask due to the toxic nature of the dust created by grinding the G10. Apparently its close to silica dust in what it does to your lungs if breathed in...
Of course I had already ground them sans protective device while sitting in my unventilated basement when I got the warning.

I got the screw bushings direct from Sig.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2746 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also purchased a P227 last year and upon removing the E2 found no screw holes. I called Hogue this morning after deciding to figure out what to do with the 227 grip issue. Susie at Hogue could not have been more helpful as she was clueless about the 227 issue. She put me on hold and talked to their head gunsmith. Came back with excitement and said that any of their 227 grips on the site come with bushings and screws for the E2 frames with no screw holes. Problem solved. Thanks to Hogue for keeping this item alive.

Posts: 83 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigh….

This thread. …..

I now own a 227 SAS.

I gotta stop coming here.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2508 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grainfed:
I also purchased a P227 last year and upon removing the E2 found no screw holes. I called Hogue this morning after deciding to figure out what to do with the 227 grip issue. Susie at Hogue could not have been more helpful as she was clueless about the 227 issue. She put me on hold and talked to their head gunsmith. Came back with excitement and said that any of their 227 grips on the site come with bushings and screws for the E2 frames with no screw holes. Problem solved. Thanks to Hogue for keeping this item alive.

Good information to know. Thanks for sharing that. Cool

posted Hide Post
Finally picked up my 227 last night looks like it was never used . Can't wait to see how it shoots . Going by everyone's posts seems like I will be happy. Would post pictures if I can figure out how to lol.

Posts: 128 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I really wanted a P227, but my local range had one and I couldn't get my hands around the grips.

And I guess for only 2 more rounds, I'll have to stick with the P220 with the extended mags.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6054 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grip was ok for me feels like my 226 . The 10 round mags work for me since I'm stuck in NY. I was going to get a 1911 scorpion but didn't like the way it felt to thin of a grip the 227 was much more comfortable.Plus I had a small laser that needed somewhere to go lol.

Posts: 128 | Location: New York | Registered: April 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooper Joe:
The Indiana State Police used these as a duty weapon for a while. They may have discontinued there use when Sig stopped supporting them.

ISP is still issuing them. I'm not sure how they're getting support, but I imagine they've worked something out with Sig for the time being. I'm really hoping some cheap ones hit the local market when they finally retire them.

Posts: 8594 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Decided to change the sights again. I had a set of Trijicon HDs on my P229 and really like them. I was having trouble seeing the Sig X Rays and the Trijicon HDs solved that for me. I can see the new sights much better. Now ready for the range test.