SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    SIG-branded P226 magazine... made in USA?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG-branded P226 magazine... made in USA? Login/Join 
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted
The mag that came with my P226R is stamped with the SIG-Sauer name, but is also marked as “made in USA”. I thought all SIG mags were made in either Italy (by Mec-Gar), or Germany!

Did SIG ever use Checkmate for OEM mags, hence the USA mfg.?

Thanks in advance...

Posts: 4611 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11020 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I believe all current OEM Sig mags for the N American market are made in USA by Checkmate. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bill, it's good to hear you own a P226R. Didn't you say before that you sold off all your Sigs?

Posts: 3190 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
<<snip>>
Bill, it's good to hear you own a P226R. Didn't you say before that you sold off all your Sigs?

I did recently sell off all of my SIGs and switched to Springfields and Berettas. I quickly saw the error of my ways as they just didn't "fit" me like SIG, and certainly didn't shoot as well either!

In the past 2 weeks I've picked up a P229/357 w/ Hogue aluminum checkered grips, a P226R which now wears Hogue Piranha grips, and a P230SL which is arriving tomorrow. The 230SL is as new in box and never fired, and the other two are extremely close to mint condition, with the P226R also wearing night sights. I also got a Ruger American Rimfire with walnut stock for a really good price, so I have been kinda busy! LOL

Posts: 4611 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing in the Classifieds section when you traded away your P228 for a Beretta. It's none of our business to comment on other members' trades, but I thought to myself, "Ouch, he's going to miss that gun! Frown "

Posts: 3190 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Made in USA mags? Range mags. Nothing more. I have pristine 15 rd 9mm Sig branded mecgar mags, coated in the anti friction coating. The best Sig mags ever made. I use Checkmate mags for the range only.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
SIG U.S. augmented their magazine offerings during the mag shortage several years ago and started including both Mec-Gar and/ or Checkmate manufactured mags...and if I'm not mistaken have switched to Checkmate as the sole source for all their U.S. mfr.'d guns for several years now.

Early on there were some initial reports of stoppage issues involving the early Checkmate mags but I haven't read of any problems in years now and it would seem that the issue was fixed.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I remember seeing in the Classifieds section when you traded away your P228 for a Beretta. It's none of our business to comment on other members' trades, but I thought to myself, "Ouch, he's going to miss that gun! Frown "

Funny thing is, I don't miss the P228 at all. I've owned 3 of them now and didn't keep a single one; I much prefer the P229 in either .40 or .357!

Am I weird? Damned straight I am... LOL

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
<<snip>>
Early on there were some initial reports of stoppage issues involving the early Checkmate mags but I haven't read of any problems in years now and it would seem that the issue was fixed.

Well, I can't speak for the Checkmate mags that others own, but this one is 100% reliable for the short time I've had it! Up until my four new 17-round MecGar's showed up Friday, the sole Checkmate was the only one that I had, and it functioned perfectly on my range trips, so unless/until it fails, I trust it.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Checkmate mags have been fine for quite some time now. As MDS said, early ones had some issues, but they have been fine since. Have several 229-1 Checkmate mags, and the P226 ones, and the current P365 mags (in all 3 capacities). Zero problems. I wouldn't hesitate to use them for defensive purpose.

Q

Posts: 26519 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Checkmate mags have been fine for quite some time now. As MDS said, early ones had some issues, but they have been fine since. Have several 229-1 Checkmate mags, and the P226 ones, and the current P365 mags (in all 3 capacities). Zero problems. I wouldn't hesitate to use them for defensive purpose.

That's good to know! Much better than my sampling of only one! Big Grin