SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What do we think of the HK P30L?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we think of the HK P30L? Login/Join 
posted
Held one in a store while out of town on Monday...LE model w/night sights, three mags. I dug it. Never shot one, or had any HK pistol, so I'm curious what the forum consensus is on a 9mm DA/SA HK P30L.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It’s a solid pistol. V3 triggers leave a lot to be desired but thankfully Robert Burke can fix that. I’d go with the regular P30 though so you can carry it. It carries real nice. Can’t go wrong with a HK P series.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Its an HK, so it’s a great pistol. I owned one for awhile, but also had a GGI worked P30/9MM, so the stock P30L didn’t see much action and was sold off.

But overall the P30 series has a longer reset that lots of other production duty guns. That’s about the only negative other than the well known HK DA trigger pulls. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I held the P30 and P30L (both were DA/SA, 9mm LE versions) and my hands liked the "L" better...which is odd, because I usually prefer the "compact" offering. Something about the "L" seemed to balance better for me.

And, the triggers weren't bad, surprisingly. Maybe they'd been dry-fired a bunch in-store. I was expecting worse based upon what I've heard.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to imagine a more reliable pistol. I love the Todd Green testing... https://pistol-training.com/ar...reports/p30-thursday I'm happy with mine. Typical HK.
Only complaint is that I've headed to a red dot on everything and for that HK is a PIA.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11009 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
A while ago I shot a friend's 'L' at the range. My impression was that its GTG.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
I've got both a P30 and P30SK with V1LEM triggers. These are great carry guns. For target, I'd likely go V3 (DA/SA) and change the Firing Pin Block Spring to the light version and possibly experiement with the lighter main spring. These both really made a difference in my full sized P30's trigger.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I don't like the LEM trigger, but the P30L is the better of the P30 line to me. I love the balance and shooting. it's an amazing firearm for sure.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I own a V3 P30 and it’s a great gun. The trigger trough can be annoying but that is my only complaint.

I have read that 9mm P30Ls are more susceptible to break in, needing to be clean and well lubed out of the box and fed a good few hundred rounds of 124 grain or greater or NATO/+P defensive stuff before they will reliably run 115 grain powder puff stuff. Most 9mm HKs, in my experience need a little loosening up before they will run crap and the P30L seems to need a box or three more then normal.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I picked up a P30SK LEM, and decided pretty quickly I “needed” a P30LS V3 to go with it.

Wasn’t even on the radar when prices were north of $800, but in the $500-$600 range they have fallen to it is a helluva good deal on a great gun.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10947 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
One of the most accurate 40sw pistols I’ve owned. Ergo’s are superb and the stock luminescent sights were easy enough. Trigger was a bit too long but manageable.

Posts: 13816 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
V3 triggers leave a lot to be desired

Truer words have never been spoken...they kinda stink up the place for me.

Also if I recall correctly, the 9mm P30L has in the past required a break-in period using heavier ammo. 100 to 200rds of 124gr was the past formula, but I dunno if HK ever got around to addressing the issue with a modified recoil spring.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I really adore my HK P30L and it is one of my top favorite 9MM pistols. IMO at today's prices HK P30 line are a tremendous value.

The trigger SA pull on HK P30LS was sweet out of the box. Reset is long like a non SRT classic P series SIG or CZ 75 series which is not a problem for me. The DA was heavy but as USP_fan mentioned a couple easy spring changes makes a tremendous difference giving mine a really sweet DA trigger pull at about 8.5 LBs that I can shoot well without staging the DA trigger, using smooth/fast pull all the way through. The HK new style lighter FPBS (HK Part # 209296) removes almost all stacking in the DA trigger pull. I find CZ triggers more wanting out of the box than my HKs.

IMO ammo problems with the P30L are way overblown and mostly a myth and I can't remember reading about a single instance in quite a while now. When I did read about one on HK Pro it typically was found out that the owner never cleaned/lubed his new P30L and went to Walmart to buy the cheapest low powered crap ammo he could find such as Federal Champion. I ussed only 115 GR ammo in my new HKs including my P30L and VP9 but I cleaned and lubed first and used Federal Americam Eagle and Speer Lawman 115 and they all ran fine.

Posts: 9748 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I have 2 P30L's. one is the LEM trigger the other is the standard V3 with the decocker. I shoot mainly the Winchester 124 gr NATO stuff through them and never had an issue. Very easy shooting guns and I find them easy to carry.
Since I've "found" CZ's though the HK's have sat in the safe.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an Hk fanboy, with 13, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I have 2 p30L's, one regular p30, and a p30sk. The p30L is a fantastic do it all pistol.. Yes, the trigger is not the best, but it can be shot well and fast. I use mine for uspsa, and a few years ago the Hk team all used them and shot them very well. I have many SIG's, Cz's, and Glocks, but to me the Hk's are better overall, while others are better in certain areas, like the trigger. If you get one use some strong 124gr ammo for a few hundred rounds, they springs are stiff.

match video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmTNIuN-wbk&t=158s

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I want to get one, but two things give me pause:

1) For LE purchases, HK offers a $150 credit to their online store. That would get me three mags, which is dandy, giving a total of 6 (including the three that come with the pistol). However, I see the mags are out of stock in the HK store, and elsewhere...so what's the average out-of-stock time with HK stuff (since I've now Googled and read many a past thread wherein people lament the outofstockness of HK products)?

2) On that note, where can a person find a LE version with the V3 trigger in 9mm? I'm not seeing much available online, as in, I can't find any of the V3 LE models. I'd PREFER to get a new one, but if the right used one pops up it's an option, for sure. A FFL friend of mine says his distributors are out of stock with no ETA.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
HK seems to make the LE series in batches and HK has said that since lowering the price the P30 series is selling like crazy which is no surprise. You might want to have some notifications at some of the popular online retailers such as Grabagun, Buds, etc, to get email when back in stock.

You can also monitor some of the online search engines such as Gun Deals. SKU for P30L LE is 730903LLE-A5.

https://gun.deals/search/apach..._search/730903LLE-A5

Posts: 9748 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a couple in the classifieds here.
P30l

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2747 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey grumpy1, thanks for the link! That's a neat website...

Definitely out of stock, everywhere. What's HK's usual turn-around time before they get things back in stock?

wolfe 21, thanks! Looks like he has the "S" version in stock, but not the non-safety version.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Hard to say when they will be back in stock again. I would guess maybe within a few months.